Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Connection Problems

this is seriously doing my head in.

every day or 2 i have to reboot my router because things stop working... the connection is still present cos im am always still connected to IRC and torrents etc, however its as if dns isnt working.

cant browse, download, cant connect to trackers (torrents still work ok as long as i dont d/c from established peers), cant check mail etc.

reboot the router and everything connects as per usual.

at first i thought it could be because the pc was using the router for dns. so i turned off the dns relay in the router settings and manually set the pipex dns servers in the network connections in windows.

but its still doing it.

im not sure if its the router or something else thats causing it. and i dont think theres any factor present every time it does it. just seems to gradually loose connectivity.

Ive read about and it seems it could be an issue with the router (Dlink DSL-G604T) (http://www.expansys.com/forumthread....551&thread=353) as described in that link, one theory is that the dns buffer is overflowing, but having disabled that im not sure why it would still be affected.

theres also a link to a program to create a macro to reboot the router every 24 hours or so, which seems a bit pointless to me. the reason i bought it was so i could stay connected 24/7, and im really not willing to go to such lengths to fix the fucking thing.

so in the event that i cant (be arsed) fix(ing) it, can somone recommend a good ADSL wireless(54mbs minimum) modem router with 1 or more ports that is most importantly reliable and has a decent user interface (cos the present one is shite) for under 90 quid.

was looking at this: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=76427

but if anyone has any better suggestions then pls fire away cos this one is beginning to piss me off somewhat or of course if you happen to know how to fix the problem even better, but i cant be arsed with too much in the way of effort, id rather just shell out another 80 quid or so and get something decent.
    Last edited by marcode; 25th April 2005 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Connection Problems

20 views and not a single solitary post.

useless.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seen this on a few routers, not particularily make specific either.. one common thing is that they tend to fill all the possible concurrent connection ports over time (Especially when using peer to peer or torrent sites = high router processor overhead) and the overhead upsets the processor in the router and can also cause overheating. See if you can limit the amount of concurrent connections it will use, unless you set a limit, it will fill too many ports for downloading that it can handle. Might help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how exactly do i set it to limit the number of concurrent connections?

Thanks
    Karma Level

My boss has been trying lots of different ones, sadly he's away right now. He's currently running a draytek of some type, I can ask if there are any he could recommend. Sorry I can't be any more help, personally I'm on cable so I don't have any experience

Thanks
    Karma Level

any help appreciated

or suggestions for new routers pls.. if anyone else is reading. (spec above)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are you using the wireless option? If not turn it off in the router..
    Also what BT client are you using, ABC++ has caused my dns to stop working if its been left open too long, going into task manager and shutting it down that way has made it come back up..

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes i use wireless for my lappy and im using azureus.

its almost certainly the router because this never happened using just a usb modem. so instead of fucking about with half solutions id rather somone pointed me in the direction of a good reliable router.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Linksys WAG54 has 54Mbit wireless and works for a colleague. My boss says he hasn't heard of a problem with DNS like this and asks if you have any diagnostics or statistics in the router configuration that might give a hint as to what's happening.

Do you have any other machines connected to the same router? Do they keep working? Can you try leaving it without any application software open and just run a single ping every hour, say overnight, and see if it still happens?

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode
    so instead of fucking about with half solutions id rather somone pointed me in the direction of a good reliable router.
    Efficient Networks 5861 mate.

Alas not wireless, but THE most reliable ADSL router I have ever encountered (well, that & the Cisco 827).

They normally retail at around the £450 mark, but you'll find plenty of secondhand 5861's on e-bay at very sensible prices, and you can buy a two bob access point for the wireless connectivity.

FWIW, I have seen the exact problem you have on a fair majority of the "cheapie" routers out there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Team
    Efficient Networks 5861 mate.

Alas not wireless, but THE most reliable ADSL router I have ever encountered (well, that & the Cisco 827).

They normally retail at around the £450 mark, but you'll find plenty of secondhand 5861's on e-bay at very sensible prices, and you can buy a two bob access point for the wireless connectivity..
    Sorry to hijack Marcode but I am looking for a similar solution. What hardware would I need to connect to the Efficient Networks router to turn it wireless then Pegasus? Would I need the PC on permanently to be able to connect wirelessly or just the router?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bertroot
    What hardware would I need to connect to the Efficient Networks router to turn it wireless then Pegasus?
    As I said to Marcode, all you would need is to purchase a Wireless Access Point to give you wireless ability.

Would I need the PC on permanently to be able to connect wirelessly or just the router?
    Just the router (and the access point obviously).

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have put in about 10 of the Linksys WAG54 for clients home networks.
    For the money they are spot on, maybe reboot every 3 months or there abouts.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Marcode... I had a problem very similar to the one you are describing. My internal network was set up static using private IP's and I had somehow stuck incorrect DNS addresses onto my 2nd PC. For a while the connection worked, but after a random period of time (hours, 1 day, 2 days sometimes) my connection just dropped. Sometimes I could still use IRC, but not Net or Email....

Once I discovered my problem, I corrected it and no problems since. This is probably not the issue, but just to eliminate it, when your conn next drops, unplug your other PC's 1 at a time and see if it pops back up at all... If it does, the last PC you unplugged is the source of the problem...

Failing that, get yourself a new router and kick the other into touch...
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810
    Marcode... I had a problem very similar to the one you are describing. My internal network was set up static using private IP's and I had somehow stuck incorrect DNS addresses onto my 2nd PC. For a while the connection worked, but after a random period of time (hours, 1 day, 2 days sometimes) my connection just dropped. Sometimes I could still use IRC, but not Net or Email....

Once I discovered my problem, I corrected it and no problems since. This is probably not the issue, but just to eliminate it, when your conn next drops, unplug your other PC's 1 at a time and see if it pops back up at all... If it does, the last PC you unplugged is the source of the problem...

Failing that, get yourself a new router and kick the other into touch...
    problem there is that the other pc (lappy) is off the majority of the time... only on maybe an hour or 2 a day but i have set the (correct) dns servers on the lappy also, so i dont think its that.

i think i might get the linksys i was looking at next week as i want a replacement asap. this ones doign my head in.

thanks for the suggestion btw pegasus but thats a little out of my price range (im not big on second hand goods... i like shiny new "out of the box" stuff) and i dont wanna get any more hardware than i really require... its a bit beyond my needs.

thanks for all suggestions.. but i think its a case of "shite router cant cope with the number of connections i require". flog it and get a new one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Similiar problem to the above I hope, so if anyone can help....

I don't understand why my current setup is no longer able to connect to torrents, as soon as I load azareus it just sits there trying to connect and web browsing no longer works.
    Everything was fine until I installed the latest version of Azareus the other day (have since tried the latest version yesterday and still wont work) I could uite happiuly browse whilst leeching.

Torrents wont even work with other clients, I've not changes any of the router port forwarding as it has been working very happily for a couple of years now and the max conncetions within the clients are well within normal limits (100) (Modem is the Netgear DM602 and Router Netgear RP614)

anything that I should be looking for guys?

Many thanks

Bug

Thanks
    Karma Level

You will probably find it's the SP2 TCP connection limit bug. Once windows hits the max TCP conn setting it plugs your internet conn. I had the same problem using Newzbin Pro. There is a fix here
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks mate, will try it tonight.

Bug

Thanks
    Karma Level

still not working mate, both pc's on my network have the same problem. Really annoying me now!
    any ideas?

Cheers

Bug

Thanks
    Karma Level

marcode, we used to have a fairly upmarket home router (as in a £100 one, not something fancy like pt is talking about) because my dad wouldnt let me order a cheap one (i have a habit of buying cheap things and actually puting thought into getting a reliable one for the money than just firing money at the situation and getting the most expensive one rather than the best, which he disagrees with) and it used to just die after a few days. it seemed to mainly be when the room it was in was really hot so i assumed overheating and got a standard cheap one, has been fine since and its smaller and has more ports and is faster (well the max ADSL speed on it is faster, not that we have ADSL that fast here)

it's made by zoom
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast