Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Nintendo Revolution will not support HDTV

Perrin Kaplan from Nintendo has announced that the Revolution will not support HDTV resolutions. In case you are still baffled at what you read, I am going to repeat that sentence so it can sink in.

Perrin Kaplan from Nintendo has announced that the Revolution will not support HDTV resolutions. Yes, I know you are thinking the same three words as me, W.T.F.

"It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution]," confirms Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan.

article here

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nintendo Revolution will not support HDTV

Does this imply that at some later time (i,e, when HDTV becomes more mass market they will support the HDTV resolutions?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nooo ......

I was planning to get HDTV in 2006 when sky start showing programmes. Don't understand Nintendo goal, yes it does mean cost of manufacture of Rev is small, and making games a bit cheaper but at what price. :|

I just have to hope that Panasonic comes in make a new version (like the Q)

Thanks
    Karma Level

although it would be nice, the actual amount of people that would be able to use HDTV is very small, america is always looked upon as being a HDTV nation but its less than half the population that has it (and even less has broadband)

Thanks
    Karma Level

It will still do progressive scan however which is still a nice feature.

Rememeber Nintendo are trying to keep costs down here. They have got to think how many people will actually buy the machine who have HDTV. It's ok us lot saying we have, but if you go upto the average Joe in the street and ask them if they have a HDTV, wether they do or not they will not have a clue what your taliking about!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg
    It will still do progressive scan however which is still a nice feature.

Rememeber Nintendo are trying to keep costs down here. They have got to think how many people will actually buy the machine who have HDTV. It's ok us lot saying we have, but if you go upto the average Joe in the street and ask them if they have a HDTV, wether they do or not they will not have a clue what your taliking about!
    Thats fair enough whilst there are not hi-def broadcasts, but that will change next year when Sky pump it out and with a console's life span is about 4/5 years it could stop the more technically savy folk from buying it.

Whilst sony and ms will be touting hi definition i'm unsure what nintendo's marketing strategy will be.

Yes they produce good games (although some have been a little questionable lately) but in this day and age its the smoke and mirrors stuff that sells consoles.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest HD is nice, but look at all of the HD demo's kicking about. It's all nice Lanscapes and pretty flowers........ How will HD make a massive difference to Console Games? HD will only look nice with 18 Billion Colours (Like my TV ) for 'Real' images, I can't see it making a huge difference for games really. Progressive scan is not a massive diffrence on games at the moment really.

For me to go out and buy a HD DVD (HDMI) player to match my TV i'm looking at £900 for the Pioneer one to match which shows it is not cheap technology yet. Xbox 360 is going to be sold Well under manufacturing value and this will be reflected in the price of the games, this by the way is FACT.

The PS3 is going to have a huge price tag to pay for the tecnology but will try to endeavour to keep game prices down.

Revolution is keeping it simple, No DVD Playback (unless you buy the add on to pay for the license which is incorporated into the 360 and PS3), no HD 'early' technology etc.... its all going to be about the games i'm sure.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mysterym
    Thats fair enough whilst there are not hi-def broadcasts, but that will change next year when Sky pump it out and with a console's life span is about 4/5 years it could stop the more technically savy folk from buying it.

Whilst sony and ms will be touting hi definition i'm unsure what nintendo's marketing strategy will be.

Yes they produce good games (although some have been a little questionable lately) but in this day and age its the smoke and mirrors stuff that sells consoles.

just because broadcasts begen, doesnt mean people are going to snap up a HDTV set to wtch them, its going to be a long time before your gran is watching corra in HD. Im a big technology fan but ive only had my 44" telly about a year and it isnt HD, i have no intention of getting another for a good few years.

The actual difference in normal boradcasts and HD broadcasts is huge, but unless your watching it on a large screen (32" upwards) your not really gonna get the benifit and i think nintendo asumes that the mass majority of its customers are kids who dont generally have 42" HD plasmas in their bedroom

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well said. No point in putting it in when it wont be used by 80-90% of people who purchase Rev's

It's like putting Sat Nav on a push bike. Nice feature but who will use it....

Thanks
    Karma Level

no HD output - jeezus! What on earth are ninty up to - all this talk of most people not having a HD TV is correct at the moment but a console is supposed to have a life of 3 years + the Rev doesnt come out of another year at least , someone ealier said that ONLY 50% of the US have HD kit - how many people is that !!! LOADS ! And when we get HD TV the sales figures of LCD's is going to go live DVD players did. Part of me still feels this must be a hoax - if not..........what next - no 5.1 surround ? no colour ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}}
    just because broadcasts begen, doesnt mean people are going to snap up a HDTV set to wtch them, its going to be a long time before your gran is watching corra in HD. Im a big technology fan but ive only had my 44" telly about a year and it isnt HD, i have no intention of getting another for a good few years.

The actual difference in normal boradcasts and HD broadcasts is huge, but unless your watching it on a large screen (32" upwards) your not really gonna get the benifit and i think nintendo asumes that the mass majority of its customers are kids who dont generally have 42" HD plasmas in their bedroom
    Agreed but your gran is also unlikely to be in the market for a games console.

No one is going to even think about hi-def until they see it running. The difference is a big one and mass market appeal will only start when the sets are out and running in your local comet.

2+ years ago plasma take up was slow, the prices have come down and the take up has increased to the point that expensive CRT is hardly considered in comparison. The same will happen with hi-def. Anyone wanting a new set which is going to be 32" or more would be mad not to buy a hi-def one, esp once the price drops.

All as i'm saying is that if i was buying a console, i'd rather buy one with than without. Same as buying a tv if i was buying one now i'd be buying one with hi-def for sure. When they hit the shops, hi def will be a selling point of the next gen consoles when parents are being shown whats up for grabs. Games running side by side will look really different (the 360 shop demo units are going to have samsung hidef tv's in them).

Nintendo's console *look like* they won't be able to compete on a technical basis with the other 2 next gen consoles, whereas all previous iterations of ninty consoles have been able too and that is a different playing field from the one they have been used to. Coupled with the late release, times could be quite turbulent for them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree look at the number of LCD TV's on sale in the high street shops now - a lot of people who are replacing there TV's are going to look at the flat screens and want one and more next year.

On the other hand HD is not everything but theres no way to put a good spin on this news, I suspect they dont think it wil have the power to push games at HD res, so they are dropping it - I cant see this as a purely a cost cutting exercise.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mysterym
    Agreed but your gran is also unlikely to be in the market for a games console.

No one is going to even think about hi-def until they see it running. The difference is a big one and mass market appeal will only start when the sets are out and running in your local comet.

2+ years ago plasma take up was slow, the prices have come down and the take up has increased to the point that expensive CRT is hardly considered in comparison. The same will happen with hi-def. Anyone wanting a new set which is going to be 32" or more would be mad not to buy a hi-def one, esp once the price drops.

All as i'm saying is that if i was buying a console, i'd rather buy one with than without. Same as buying a tv if i was buying one now i'd be buying one with hi-def for sure. When they hit the shops, hi def will be a selling point of the next gen consoles when parents are being shown whats up for grabs. Games running side by side will look really different (the 360 shop demo units are going to have samsung hidef tv's in them).

Nintendo's console *look like* they won't be able to compete on a technical basis with the other 2 next gen consoles, whereas all previous iterations of ninty consoles have been able too and that is a different playing field from the one they have been used to. Coupled with the late release, times could be quite turbulent for them.
    YOu say that your Gran is not going to buy a HD TV. To be honest they are the ones most likely too! Mr Spotty Salesman in Comet wants to fleece your Gran out of all the cash he can. He'll scare here into thinking it's essential etc... after her 25 year old Hitachi has just broken down.

Think of it this way. Family with average 2.4 children, have to bring up the kids, feed them, school, clothes etc... Then for Xmas buy them a console between them. Where then do they get the cash from to buy a big HD 42" Plasma or 32" LCD....... I think they are more likely to buy them a portable with a built in DVD player from Aldi...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg
    To be honest HD is nice, but look at all of the HD demo's kicking about. It's all nice Lanscapes and pretty flowers........
    lmao you never been to ab.hdtv?
    /me goes to watch Matrix Reloaded in high def

Thanks
    Karma Level

i agree with alot of the comments here, in 2 or three years ther will be alot more people whith hd compatable tvs, but i still dont thank that number is will ne anything significant, they have had HD in america for years and theres still only 50%ish that have it, as a nation the UK is even slower to adapt to new technology.

I do feel that the revolution would be better with HD capabilities, but if the cost increases alot it wouldnt be an aid to the sales as much as ninty being able to provide a really cheap, unique and attractive console to the average punter

sanj, you could have picked a better example than matrix revolutions.... high def would only reveal the shite CG neo they used even more
    Last edited by {{909}}; 15th June 2005 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}}
    i agree with alot of the comments here, in 2 or three years ther will be alot more people whith hd compatable tvs, but i still dont thank that number is will ne anything significant, they have had HD in america for years and theres still only 50%ish that have it, as a nation the UK is even slower to adapt to new technology.

I do feel that the revolution would be better with HD capabilities, but if the cost increases alot it wouldnt be an aid to the sales as much as ninty being able to provide a really cheap, unique and attractive console to the average punter

sanj, you could have picked a better example that matrix revolutions.... high def would only reveal the shite CG neo they used even more
    true true but the chateau scene and the motorway scene look even more amazin..just waitin to watch advent children on high def..now that will be amazing

Thanks
    Karma Level

madagascar trailer in HD - now thats sweet lookin.

Question Forget everyone else - How many of us here either have a HD ready LCD/Plasma already or think they will have one by end of 2006 ? Remember SKY, Xbox 360 and PS3 will be using it before the Rev is out. Cos thats whos losing out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fe_man2000
    madagascar trailer in HD - now thats sweet lookin.

Question Forget everyone else - How many of us here either have a HD ready LCD/Plasma already or think they will have one by end of 2006 ? Remember SKY, Xbox 360 and PS3 will be using it before the Rev is out. Cos thats whos losing out.
    I'm looking to get a new HiDef tv for sure when the xbox 360 is out. I'd prefer it to be a plasma, but with screenburn issues I don't think it will be. Its more likely a smallish 32inch lcd.

ABCMan

i'm perfectly happy about no hdtv, hdtv is a premium market but apart from us idiots on here that love our toys most kids are playing their consoles in their bedrooms and most kids dont (and still wont in this generations life cycle) have hdtv in their bedroom a videogames resolution simply doesnt do hdtv justice, ok it will look better, but not that much so all those mass market people who buy their consoles will quite simply not have hdtv in their house let alone where the consoles will get used.

the simple fact is that apart from a few tech heads, having hdtv out on the new gen of consoles is about as usefull to the mainstream market who will buy them as tits on a man.

Thanks
    Karma Level

maybe a poll would be interesting : "do you think youll have a HD tv by 2006" or somethin, i doubt i will, if my current one exploded i would def buy a HD ready telly tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast