Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Heinz buys HP sauce in £470m deal

Heinz buys HP sauce in £470m deal

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203"> <tbody><tr><td> The buy fits in with Heinz's plan to concentrate on sauces

</td></tr> </tbody></table> US food giant Heinz has bought the maker of HP sauce in a £470m ($855m) deal, the company has confirmed.
    The group is thought to have beaten UK rivals Premier Foods and Associated British Foods to buy HP Foods.

The purchase from French group Danone is the latest stage in Heinz's current strategy of focusing on ketchups, condiments and sauces.

Danone had bought HP Foods - which also makes sauces under the Lea & Perrins brand - for £199m from Hanson in 1998.

Other brands in the HP Foods stable include Amoy, Daddies and Rajah.

Core condiments

"This acquisition underscores our commitment to become a faster-growing, more focused company," said Heinz president and chief executive William Johnson.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="208"> <tbody><tr> <td width="5"></td> <td class="sibtbg"> HEINZ BRANDS
    Heinz tomato ketchup
    Heinz baked beans
    Jack Daniels grilling sauce
    Linda McCartney meals
    Weight Watchers
    Farleys
    John West

Source: HJ Heinz
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Buying HP Foods was "consistent with our strategy to drive growth in our profitable and expanding core condiments and sauces category", he said.

Heinz said it had identified many opportunities to expand sales of the HP, Lea & Perrins and Amoy brands.

The deal gives Heinz a perpetual licence to market Amoy Asian sauces in Europe, enabling it to tap European consumers' taste for newer, piquant flavours like black bean as well as HP sauce, which is associated with more traditional pie-shop meals.

Heinz views Lea & Perrins as "an historic global brand" which has spread world-wide since it was first served to passengers on ocean liners in 1837. Lea & Perrins and HP sauce are exported to 75 countries.

Heinz said it expected the deal would boost its earnings for the first full financial year after completion.

All change

The deal comes at a busy time in the food industry.

Heinz is the midst of a shake-up. It declared in May it would be concentrating on its big brands and large markets and planned to sell off some marginal products.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="208"> <tbody><tr> <td width="5"></td> <td class="sibtbg"> HEINZ YEAR TO APRIL 2005
    Group sales: $8.91bn
    Pretax profit: $1.05bn

Source: HJ Heinz
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

It is focusing the group around four core businesses - ketchups, condiments and sauces, meals and snacks, and baby foods.

Earlier this month, Premier Foods agreed to buy Marlow Foods, owner of meat substitute Quorn, in a £172m deal.

And last week, RHM - maker of goods including Mr Kipling Cakes and Hovis bread - announced plans to float on the London Stock Exchange.

HP Foods employs 450 workers at two UK factories - in Birmingham and Worcestershire - and one US plant in New Jersey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4110006.stm

they got too much money lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Heinz buys HP sauce in £470m deal

read this before, it'a mad. don't mind it myself as I quite like heinz as a company and they can only improve the brown stuff ;D

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ahh crap. I love HP beans but hate Heinz....so they better not go screwing with em!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fusen
    read this before, it'a mad. don't mind it myself as I quite like heinz as a company and they can only improve the brown stuff ;D

heinz will change ti and it will never be the same. think ill stock up on hp before the takeover

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by geeWcee
    Ahh crap. I love HP beans but hate Heinz....so they better not go screwing with em!
    You not tried the Tika ones then ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    You not tried the Tika ones then ?
    No I havent....I did see them in Sainsburys the other day, but the missus wouldnt allow me to get any