Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default People who think we have freedom of speech

Just recently I've heard alot of people say some thing and then say we have freedom of speech right! (on and off the board)

But we dont, not in the UK. There is no such law and you can be sent away for saying the wrong thing. i.e. racism. Compared to the US where they do have freedom of speech (1st admenment) we have much more strick liable laws.

I dont have a problem with freedom of speach, although I dont think we should adopt the american system either. Its just the ignorance of people who say it just winds me up. Like people who say 'free country init?!!?!' Since when??? Theres a lot of laws in this country, like someone could break into your home and start helping themself to your stuff 'free country mate..' Dont know why this gets to me so much, just does.:grr:
    All sweeping statements are wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: People who think we have freedom of speech

I don't think anyone wants to say anything :whistle

Thanks
    Karma Level

haha, gotta agree with him actually.

free country or not, when a little shit screams "or what, free country aint it"

does get the blood boiling somewhat

(4000th post...)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hate the saying free country. It's not a free country. ever heard of "Council Tax"?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the origins of this quote go back to the independence of Scotland from England 'It is now a free country' Obviously free from oppression. You are completely and utterly right, What is odd though it is not now or has ever been a free country, unless you go back prior to the Roman conquest. So that is close to 2000 years of governmental oppression.
    As time goes by it seems there are more and more ways to both control our movements and record our actions, even our words and as such I think in no previous time in history do we feel more likely to be careful of what is done or what is said.
    For those who have read George Orwell's 1984, written on June the 8th 1949, how true has this book become? If we think over 56 years ago someone pictured what 2005 (1984 but hey) would really be like, how accurate in some way is the reality.
    What is important and what we have to realize is that a giving, progressive, protective government can turn and become a backward, oppressive government quite quickly, even if we look over history at every giving nation worldwide, it has always been eventually taken away and returned to an un giving one. Usually corrected by force (Russia for instance)
    While our rights are slowly removed, for the benefit of harmony of the country and its people, where will it end? It is clear that we cannot have racism and it clear that people like terrorists cannot preach hate in mosques and on the street and we need these laws in place to protect all of us, but you have to think, where is the common sense, is this country really getting as bad as everyone says and finally do we really have to put up with it?
    I will always speak my mind, no matter whom I offend, if I myself feel offended by an action or a deed, I don't need the government to protect me so vigorously.
    So as for a free country... I am with you on that one. The tyranny should be ended.
    Sean

Thanks
    Karma Level

Freedom of speech does exist where I'm from but it doesn't apply in school and it sure as hell doesn't apply in this forum. I've had all of my posts either moved by moderators or changed to say something insulting to me by them. All I'm trying to do is teach people how to have some cheap fun with thermo-reactant chemicals and compounds. I don't see what's wrong with that if i have a security waver written under the instructions. It's not like anyone is actualy going to get it right. It took me years to learn the skills I have now. Those years of knowledge are being censored just because someone is a little too brazen in the scilencing of another persons rights to speak.

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by spartan paradox
    Freedom of speech does exist where I'm from but it doesn't apply in school and it sure as hell doesn't apply in this forum. I've had all of my posts either moved by moderators or changed to say something insulting to me by them. All I'm trying to do is teach people how to have some cheap fun with thermo-reactant chemicals and compounds. I don't see what's wrong with that if i have a security waver written under the instructions. It's not like anyone is actualy going to get it right. It took me years to learn the skills I have now. Those years of knowledge are being censored just because someone is a little too brazen in the scilencing of another persons rights to speak.
    although i havent been one of those modding your posts i have read some of them with interest however as stated earlier in this thread we (in the uk) onlky have partial freedoms, our government tells us what we are and arent allowed to think or discuss and i'm afraid that some of your posts whilst informative and perfectly legal (ish) in your country are illegal to the point of serious jail time over here, so as were are a british based board we have to edit some posts accordingly.

as to the "no pron" bit of your sig you can turn off sigs and avatars from within your control panel so they dont show at work, however as you said you were 15 (i thought) shouldnt you be at school rather than work?