Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rant Religions deceptively trying to reel you in

I was looking for some info on Matthew Kelly's kiddy fiddling allegations and accidentally came across this site http://www.matthewkelly.org/mkf_index.html. I read a bit of the site before it was apparent that it wasn't related to Matthew Kelly but it intrigued me. Everything about the first page seemed very Catholic-missionary like to me and yet there was no mention of the latter specifically. I've found recently that, IMHO, some religions are getting quite deceptive to get you interested. In the first three buttons of the website religion is mentioned by name only twice. If you look a bit further this guy is (I think) all about Catholocism and runs 'retreats' where people can discuss the Bible and things.

Now for something so important in his life I am surprised that he mentions it by name so litte, I know a website like that wouldn't have to be laid out like that in a predominantly Catholic country, Spain for example. So I am only left to believe that he and possibly his associates are intentionally trying to 'trick' people into Catholicism. I assume that the idea is that you become interested by his ideals and way of living and then he tells you the way to do it is Catholicism.

Now, I know this sounds a bit cynical but I swear I'm seeing it more and more often now. It is as if religions are recruiting, which would be fine were it not for the deceptiveness. Religion causes a lot of pain in the world (and a lot of good, ofcourse) and I don't like a society, religion or group that doesn't present all the facts and/or doesn't allow their ideals to be logically questioned (seperate issue). Some religious zealots at our school called in some young 'cool' Christian stage group or something (Bible-pushers basically) and pretended it was just something that they were allowing so we could have the choice. In fact, lessons were cancelled for us to listen to them (which wasn't optional) and the suggestion of having a similar group come in to represent Islam was dismissed immediatley. Another time I was handed a flyer in the street advertising what seemed to be an exciting club night somewhere. Looking closer you could see in small print that it was actually some sort of Christian discussion group but none of the flyer would let you know this.

Can someone tell me if I'm imagining this and if not then why the religions do this. This was going to go in the rant section but I put it here because I want an answer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Religions deceptively trying to reel you in

Whats the question ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's the bit I put at the end 'Can someone tell me if I'm imagining this and if not then why the religions do this'. 'This' refers to the thread title, which is 'Religions deceptively trying to reel you in'.

Thanks
    Karma Level

May be a bit OT, but regarding religion I see Scientology Group have moved into London bomb areas en mass offering support etc in the name of recruitment.

Back OT, yes I believe that religions are trying to recruit by using unobvious flyers etc.
    Maybe they are trying to appear 'cool' to todays youth by appearing to be relaxed & fun places to go to.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"