Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Anyone in the same boat??

Hey There,

Background Info

I worked in IT for past 4 1/2 year for a pharmacutical Manufacturer.

I basically got a college diploma (BTEC national in IT) and found this job.

I started on a temp 3 month basis (£10,500) and they thought I was ok so they took me on perm basis (bit of a wage rise to). My Title was MIS (Managed Informations Systems) Trainee.

Needless to say salary has gone up and title changed now i'm a Business Systems Support Analysis hmmm don't ask!

My problem!!!

The Company I work for doesn't like spending on IT. Thus the systems are old (Still running NT4 network) we have old VMS systems running very old ERP suites (ManMan - If anyone has herd of it!) and basically we have tons and tons of bespoke apps linking to old apps that link to non mainsteam systems etc

Training is great in the company though, I've done most of the Microsoft 2000 stuff, SQL admin and that but there no use as we run the older versions

I have tried finding new jobs and been to a couple of Interviews but they all seem to day they want 2/3 years experience on latest software etc (Which we don't have )

Think i'm stuck in a bit of a rutt Money is good in this Job and the people i work with are sound but don't think i'm going anywhere and the longer I stay here the harder it will be to get out and find a job were they use the latest stuff

Not sure anyone will know any answers to this but views would be good or if you've been in the same position and got out.

Or feel free to tell me to stop moaning as at least I have a job!

Cheers

AJ
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone in the same boat??

I currently just finished my first year HND diploma in computers at college, go back october for the last year. I was looking for jobs few weeks back and some were asking for previous experience within that enviroment in which i did not have which is a piss off because you have the qualification but no experience, and the only way to get experience is if some company gives you chance which is very hard to find in some areas like mine as ICT industries are very limited.

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

Know what you mean mate.

I Just sent out a letter to about 100 big companies accross the Northwest saying this is what I've got, do you have any positions available plus sent a copy of my CV.

Got loads of replies with the "Unfortunatly no vacancies available" also got some funny ones saying "There is only 1 person in the IT Dept..... and thats me! " But out of about 100 I got 2 interviews.

The first one I got was for a semi support role with some programming envolved for a company that made credit cards. I didn't fancy this one as the company was tiny, plus programming wasn't/isn't! my forte.

And the second one I took which is where I am in today. /

Think I will put some cash on the Euro Millions this Friday 66 millions and I wouldn't mind some of that!:thumbs

AJ..
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

you considered doing a hnd level based course and looked for part time work within the I.T. enviroment? i think once im nearly at the end of my 2nd HND course i will be in a more better frame of mind in looking for experience, at the moment i consider anything just to get me through the weeks etc, and not really fussed but im always keeping my eye out on I.T. jobs with regular emails to my account regarding local jobs in my area, maybe you should set up it with the links i have provided within this section.

all the best mate

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

I did try to do some futher education with a part time degree course (Every thurs evening) Stuck @ it for about 6 months but with doing projects in work and working late was missing a lot of sessions. Got behind with some stuff.

I sent a polite email to one of the course tuturs explain my situation and asking if i could have a couple more days to work on a website that was for course work. He must have been having a bad day as his reply was brimming with sarcasm. so I just thought i can't be doing with this and bowed out.

To be honest I need to get my act together and do some of the microsoft certification MCP, MCSA, MSCE etc i've done most of the course required for the MCSA but haven't taken any of the exams.

Suppose its just finding time to fit everything in. work/play/exams more play

What kind of area in IT do you want to work in?

Thanks
    Karma Level

For a future career i was looking at business analysis, but would accept more or less anything within the IT sector until i have completed all of my education. So at least i can have some experience stated within my cv and also knowledge within a IT industry.
    I have also looked upon programming which i think is way to hard, and networking which some things i cant get to grips with but there we go.

After my college i got two options in mind, either go to uni for 18 months and top up my hnd to a degree level or do a MCSE in maybe analysis or database, not really sure yet but am giving it some great thought.

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm fucking hilarious
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fusen

I'm fucking hilarious
    True! Nice boat

Thanks
    Karma Level

AJ matey....

you might to try and be less detailed on the actual versions of the different bespoke apps you support.
    try and relay to any prespective company that its the 4.5 years of exsperiance on a wide range of applications that is your strong point and not the fact you have worked directly with XYZ version of ABC software.

for instance....NT4 network...
    dont sort of take the attitude that you have ONLY supported an NT4 network and it stops there.
    try to say something more along the lines that you currently have a well establish and stable NT network and you are currently laying down the plans for a migration towards 2003/AD.
    also sling in a few lines about VPN/LAN/WAN....maybe even a mention of VOIP.

true you may not actualy be doing these things at this time with your current company.
    but im sure these areas are all within your ability...and at the end of the day its your ability that you are trying to sell.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fusen....

i think im gonna print that pic oput and stick it on the office wall....

no one will have a clue what it means except for me....
    which would be exactly the message in the picture.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MaxP
    AJ matey....

you might to try and be less detailed on the actual versions of the different bespoke apps you support.
    try and relay to any prespective company that its the 4.5 years of exsperiance on a wide range of applications that is your strong point and not the fact you have worked directly with XYZ version of ABC software.

for instance....NT4 network...
    dont sort of take the attitude that you have ONLY supported an NT4 network and it stops there.
    try to say something more along the lines that you currently have a well establish and stable NT network and you are currently laying down the plans for a migration towards 2003/AD.
    also sling in a few lines about VPN/LAN/WAN....maybe even a mention of VOIP.

true you may not actualy be doing these things at this time with your current company.
    but im sure these areas are all within your ability...and at the end of the day its your ability that you are trying to sell.
    Thats good point you have got there, going to re-write the old CV over the weekend try and inclued some of your points above.

AD Is suppose to be comming by the end of the year

Lets see if I remember any of it from the courses I have done!

Cheers MaxP

AJ

Thanks
    Karma Level

the other thing to do is take your msce in 2003 off your own back.... i know it's £1800 but in the long run it maybe worth the outlay...
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll be honest with you, the first impression a company looking to recruit gets of you, is from your CV. You really need to spend a lot of time getting you CV right. Bullet points on your CV are a great way to get your knowledge across to the Employer. What you've got to remember, a company recruiting will have to sift through a pile of CV's, so the easier your CV is to read the better. MaxP had a very good post and you should take all the things he says into account.
    Another thing, don't worry about not knowing everything the employer is asking you to know. Most employers look for the right personality as well as knowledge and understand that getting the right person may mean they aren't the perfect candidate. You will be surprised how good a move to another job can be, you'll learn oodles more and you'll find the employer will be willing to teach you. They cant expect you to arrive and know exactly how they work.
    A good way to find a job is to use a good agancy. They'll do the leg work for you. 3 years ago I was in pretty much the same position you are in, I had a look at some job search pages and found one I quite fancied. Most of the jobs are made up/ dont exist on these pages, they're just bait to real you in to an agency. When I applied for the job I liked the look of on the search page, I was told by the agency that the job had already gone.. But...two weeks later I had been offered the job that I am at now. I must admit, I moved from one IT support role to another but the move has really benefitted me.
    The agency I used was www.senitor.com and I dealt with a guy called Declain McNamee.
    I hope this helps you out and I haven't babbled on too much..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks mate,

Will take a look @ their website when I get in from work,

Cheers