Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Getting a moped/bike.

I have recently moved jobs and now insted of a 5 minute walk into work I have a 45 minute/1+ hour commute where I have to pay Railtrack £8 per day for the privilege of standing on the late, overcrowded shite trains. Whats more I have a drive into town to the station, and about a 15 minute walk from the station to work.

I would drive but it is central London and the congestion charge is £8 per day, and the drive alone would take about an hour, and there is no car parking. So thats pretty much out of the question. The route into work is only 16 miles, so I was thinking about getting a 50cc bike.. I just need a bit of advise.

Firstly, I think I can drive a 50cc without doing the CBT - is this correct (I passed my driving test in 97).

Secondly, are there any limitations on type of 50cc bike I can ride (as per the above).

I have been looking and there appear to be some decent 50cc's for about £1700 new - which is about what the train costs me. In particular, Aprilla do a bike (SR 50) that looks quite rapid, and has a top end of about 55 mph (which is perfect) and does 140 mpg :coffee: (bit better than the M3).

Would this be ok to drive without taking CBT? If so then I might get one at the weekend, and if nothing else, I will get a seat on the way into work.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Getting a moped/bike.

you would be able to ride a moped on your car licence as you have a full moped licence (cat. p)

a moped is clasified as a motorbicycle that is no more than 50cc and restricted to no more than 31mph.
    the aprillia sr50 ditech can be reprogrammed to de-restrict it, you would need to do CBT and display 'L' plates (as well as re-register it as a motorcycle, pass an SVA test (like a bloody strict MOT) and inform your insurance company)

32 miles every day on a 2 stroke 50cc will not be nice! + the bike wont last long.
    do a CBT and get a CG125 or SR125 (basically any jap 125 4 stroke bike) it will be less to insure as well.
    last year more scooters were stolen or damaged than were sold

if you are anywhere near Harrow, i could do your CBT for you! (or at least we could meet up and i can talk you through your options in person)
    Last edited by tiggerbiker; 27th July 2005 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Tigger.

So you think i should do my CBT and get a 125cc?

How hard is the CTB? I have ridden a motorbike before and can drive well enough. Will I need lessons or can I just go on the day and do it?
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:

Thanks
    Karma Level

my CBT's are a guaranteed pass (some need 2 days to do everything), as a current road user and you have ridden before, you would complete in one day.

a CBT is easy if you are willing to learn and not affraid to ask if you dont understand whats going on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have done a bit of digging, would you know if the Aprilia rs125 would be a good bike to start on?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The RS125 is a two stroke bike also. The (4 stroke) CG 125 or SR 125's that tiggerbiker suggested would probably be your best bet as they are more commuter friendly and would be easier to ride through traffic. They are a tough little bike last for ever too!!
    The CBT is like a cycling proficiency test and as you have riden a bike before and know the basics you should have no problems!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a look at the SR125, but it does not seem to sporty. I would prefer something with a bit of a kick to it (and something that looks cool). Are there any suggestions for a 125 4 stroke that has a bit more of a sporty look?

Thanks
    Karma Level

honda cbr125? looks the nads!

http://www.blondeel.be/honda_cbr125.htm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats the kind of thing Tam! Just been reading up on it... Looks ok.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well if your after a 2 stroke race rep I'd say the RS 125 would be the best choice, the aprillia's allways rate the best in any of the tests I've seen. One of my mates has had a few of them over the years.
    Probably best to buy a new as possible one, ideally still under the manufacturers warranty, 'coz the 2 stroke engines are prone to wear. My mate blew one of his up, and got it replaced under the warranty.

Thanks
    Karma Level

don't forget your insurance on a "sporty" bike with some "kick" is gonna be a site more that one of the not so sporty ones (at least thats what i believe/have been told).

i got a kymco pulsar 125 (basically a honda 125 copy) and i do about 30 miles a day on it 5 days a week.
    it does a grand job and has served me well....it was 6 months old when i bought it in september last year and i plan on selling it around september this year. insurance for me as a learner has been £15 per month and it only costs £7 per week in motion lotion. cheap as chips although not so sporty.

the CBT was a piece of piss but i suppose this all depends on your instructor (and on your attention span) cos my mate said his wasn't that good.

good luck either way

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by vtrsp1rob
    Well if your after a 2 stroke race rep I'd say the RS 125 would be the best choice, the aprillia's allways rate the best in any of the tests I've seen. One of my mates has had a few of them over the years.
    Probably best to buy a new as possible one, ideally still under the manufacturers warranty, 'coz the 2 stroke engines are prone to wear. My mate blew one of his up, and got it replaced under the warranty.
    I thought the CBR125 was 4 stroke? But then again I know fook all, but I'm learning.

Tiz - Insurance is not really an issue, I am an old git (26) so it is not really much of a issue.

Basically, what I need is a 125cc 4 stroke, that looks decent. got a couple of grand I could spend if need be.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Let me know how you get on with your journey to work, I've got the same idea but have seen lots of people kiss the tarmac over the years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thinking of travelling to work via moped aswell but dont think be able to handle the distance everyday its around 25 miles there and than the journey back :/
    tiggerbiker how much roughly for the cbt im near harrow cheers
    Last edited by DrShah101; 29th July 2005 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd really go with Tigger's suggestion and buy something like a CG125 or similar for what you want.
    Not only are they bulletproof, but nobody in their right mind will look at it with a view to stealing it.

If your "sporty" bike with some "kick" doesn't get nicked (which it probably will do), it will only end up fucked after a few months commuting anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

im 28 mate....am i paying too much?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DrShah101
    thinking of travelling to work via moped aswell but dont think be able to handle the distance everyday its around 25 miles there and than the journey back :/
    tiggerbiker how much roughly for the cbt im near harrow cheers

CBT's are £95 on own bike or £105 on a hire bike (all inclusive)

and NO surcharge for saturday CBT's

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought the CBR125 was 4 stroke? But then again I know fook all, but I'm learning.
    Ah, well it looks like you know more than me!! I'm not that clued up on the smaller bikes! Just looked on the honda web site and you're right, the CBR125 is a 4 stroke.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if your lookin for a sporty 4-stroke theres a sachs xtc 125! brill lookin bike, 4-stroke about 80mph! bit pricy compaired to the cg125 but if you got the cash and dont mid spending it then this is trick!:thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast