Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Your job

Quote Originally Posted by bellylea
    Left school at 16 with basic qualificatins, got a job in local library 'cos my big sis used to work there. Then moved to a large Jamie Oliver sponsered supermarket as an accounts clerk (Boring as fcuk). Moved into IT on the helpdesk as I went to the pub with the HD Manager every lunchtime. Made redundant 14 years later with a nice wad of cash. Moved 400 miles and spent all my time giving my money to Ladbrokes, so got a job with them.

Now managing a Ladbrokes betting shop and making big bonuses 'cos my muppet punters always back loosers....

It is the lowest paid job I have had since I was 18, but loving every minute of it. Paid to sit on my arse watching horse racing and footy. Don;y get any better than that....:tongue
    Where abouts is your bookies mate?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Left school at 16 to go to college and study construction. Spent 4 years there and came away with my ND and HND in Building Studies. Whilst there I got interested in the CAD side of the building industry and managed to walk into a job the day after leaving college at an architects firm. After 4 years I realised that there is more money to be made in the structural side of the business (architects get paid peanuts up North).
    Spent a further 5 years employed in the structural engineering industry before realising you can make more money going it alone.
    Had my own business for nearly 3 years now and every day is busier than the next. I do a mixture of architectural and structural work and it keeps me occupied.
    Anyone need any plans doing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Left school at 16 went straight to college to do a few basic computer courses got boring after a while so I decided with my basketball knowledge I’d give basketball coaching a shot, Knew various people based at the Newcastle Eagles 6 months after they took a shine to me they decided to employ me full time and that’s my current job Basketball Coach For The Newcastle Eagles

Thanks
    Karma Level

nikki are you a career advisor?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by xirokx
    nikki are you a career advisor?
    Please tell me your not trying to poach me?

Termy

Well I left school at 16 with no qualifications what-so-ever. I went straight onto a 2 year YTS scheme, with day release for college. I completed that and got my City & Guilds in Motor Vehicle Craft Studies. I worked in the trade for a while. I then started working for a Plastic Blow Moulding company, which after 6 months I was promoted to supervisor/technitian. After that job I did various other jobs like FLT (Got both reach and counterbalance) security guard, back in the motor trade, and many different agency jobs.

I then got a job packing in another plastics factory, but this was Blow Moulding. I started off in the packing dept, but soon moved to a behind the machines job. I was a Material Tech, I was responsible for all the coloured plastics, amounts, changing the moulds, and general day to day running of the machines. Here we made plastic bottles for the likes of Fairy, Persil, etc etc. I was finished from there as the company downscaled in this area and moved to Milton Keynes.

I then returned to agency work for a few years. And thats when my peepers packed in, so I had to give up work as I couldnt travel, and have been out of work since.

But currently trying to find some sort of work in the Mobile Phone industry, wether it be self employed or working for someone else.

Thanks
    Karma Level

left school @ 16 went to college for a year doing engineering then got fed up of it then ended up doing a few basic computer courses still no job till i was 19 i guess dossin about n doin a few cds here n there untill i got mi drink spiked in town n over £3000 damage done to my parents house n ended up in hospital
    my dad got me a job @ graham engineering forming all kinds of satellite dishes for the communication market n doing a bit of press work for rolls royce makein vacuum form bags for aeroplane blades to get hear treated and various storage containers for british nuclear fuels been workin for 2years now n lovein it coz i am on nights

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

got pretty good gcses did some a levels badly, so took a year out and worked on the farm I had been working on since I was 15. Decided to go to uni and do a HND in Computing, pretty much aced that (I had been working on a farm 7 days a week, 3 days at uni seemed tame) so decided to do the extra 2 years and get the degree came out with the only 2.1 in my year :0 (one first).

Found it really hard to get a start, as unlike most graduates I had worked my arse off during the summers to pay for uni, in whatever the highest paid 12 weeks work was (read Fords warehouse at 9.90ph with double time at weekends, argos, orange etc etc) and basically any other shit job that paid well and offfered a lot of overtime.
    Leads to problems when you applying against daddys boy and they been round the world and worked in said industry, that you are applying for as they did a 6 week placement for free whilst they were at uni, irritating but sometimes you get past them and when you actually get an interview with someone outside of HR they realise you are hard working and you get the job (read 5 graduate interviews 3 jobs offered).

In the end decided to go work in the games industry as would be something I would enjoy rather than selling my soul and becoming either a marketeer or joining the IT recruitment consultancy bandwagon
    so work making mobile phone games in J2ME, been there a year now pay sucks really for what I am doing (can earn more in the above shitty warehouses lol), so considering a move to London where my skillset pays about 75-100% more than I am on currently either that or join said recruitment consultancy bandwagon and get my rake out as would be fully prepared to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week seing the commision those guys on.

Do however love my current and look forward to going into work in the morning which is what keeps me there as of all the jobs I have ever had, never experienced one where I wanted to go in most days

/rantoff
    Last edited by canardo; 3rd September 2005 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

left school at 17 after not liking my a levels started being a trainee accountant which i did for 3 years then decided to do leave and do Ebay full time have been doing it for 2 months am loving it just seem to have more problems when you are relying on sales like the royal mail and customers.
    Think my boss was glad to get rid of me think the times i went in hungover and he used to send me home pissed him off, he was an awesome boss, free bars at work do's.
    am looking for a part time job in burton just to fill my week up a bit and get me a bit of interaction, ANY IDEAS?????? what i can do

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CJCROCKO
    left school at 17 after not liking my a levels started being a trainee accountant which i did for 3 years then decided to do leave and do Ebay full time have been doing it for 2 months am loving it just seem to have more problems when you are relying on sales like the royal mail and customers.
    Think my boss was glad to get rid of me think the times i went in hungover and he used to send me home pissed him off, he was an awesome boss, free bars at work do's.
    am looking for a part time job in burton just to fill my week up a bit and get me a bit of interaction, ANY IDEAS?????? what i can do

use the below thread if you requesting information on local jobs, dont forget to include location type of work sectors you wish work in and ill see what i can do matey

http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=235941

all the best

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

Left college with 7 O levels and 4 A levels to start work at BNFL as a trainee programmer. Gained HNC in Computer Studies and High Energy Physics and an HND in microelectronics.

Eight years later I felt I knew it all, so even though freshly married decided to go on my own as a contractor (mainframe systems design, development & support). Kept myself to government contracts (Liverpool City Council, British Gas (as was), HMSO, MOD then DHSS). Stayed at DHSS for 10 years (on the original 6 month contract ) then took the shilling of a large American Software Corp, while still at the DSS.

Doesn't time pass quickly

Oh, and no longer married :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got 9 GCSE's and a few extras at secondary school, stayed on and done sociology, english lit and politics A levels. Got them, was going to go uni then didnt wanna so i carried on working in dixons for a while, went to Sony, applied for the police, which finally my references have been received so i should hopefully be doing that in the next few months!!

ABCMan

oh dear i was trying to cut down on the long posts

left education with 14 O levels, 3 A levels, 1 S level (not AS) and an hons 1st in computer sciences

for jobs in the ealy days i worked in a food processing plant packing cooked chickens and operating the tray washer, door to door selling subscriptions to a book club and other assorted crap like that first proper job was as a systems anyalist for a national building society (my uncle happened to be the chairman which helped getting the job) after a while i was bored stupid with it an when they decided to hire analyst/programmers at lower pay i was gone from there never to return to IT.

after a stint running my own business selling consoles and home computers i closed the company afte a vast rent increase (87% increase) when a new company took over the centre my shop was in since despite being enjoyable and profitable the increased costs would have made life a lot harder.

a short spell working for the council made sure that i knew that offuice work was not for me as i loved being in contact with people so i left that and ran a summer playscheme for disadvantaged children for the community rellations council which i loved, all the local staff resigned en masse when a new head was installed who decided that community relations meant that all whites were racist andall blacks were por put upon ex slaves (he even redecorated the office with newspaper cuttings to prove his point) since my co workers were every colour of the rainbow and the scheme we ran was fully mixed both in staff and the children we decided that it was the only way we cold send a message.

after that i did a year teaching computer studies at a temporary private school set up because the council were trying to force racial mixing in some of its local schools (illegaly) the schol closed after one year when the council lost in the courts and the parents were final allowed to send their children to their local schools rater than the ones the council wanted to send them to.

after that i went to work for a large retail company on the shop floor pay was shit but i did enjoy it and was soon senior sales for the whole company before going upstairs and eventualy becoming part of the team that handled new store openings, staff selection and training (yeah right), i realy enjoyed that but the hours were long and you were living out of a suitcase for 11 months or more of the year. i left there after a BIT of an arguement with the head of the company over my position and where they were sending me and went to work for a local computer company dealing with their home computer section.

at about the same time i started taking in foster children which i've done ever since, after a while i gave up working in the shop to become a long term carer, after the recurrence of an old injury left me with difficulty walking or sitting or standing etc i've not looked for a "real" job but have continued to foster although at present i have no foster children with me as i'm still waiting for my last 2 to leave (i always let them stay on till they are ready to move on like a real family) i just hope, pray and wish that the eldest (who we call the shit) would hurry up and fuck off as he's by far the worst person i've ever looked after by a huge margin. once he's gone i'll be able to take kids in again, i can unlock the internal doors, move the food and such back into the kitchen and return to a normal life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love your stories about the shit....can't you write a book about him? I'd buy it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I left school with 8 GCSE's and 4 A levels then went travelling for a year. When I came back I went to uni to study media production and left with a 2:1. I then moved out of shitty Stoke (sorry I know loads of people on here live here:whistle) to Bristol. About 50 CV's later and a few letters back from production companies saying a polite thanks but go away I finally scored myself my dream job....yeahhhhhh! I now work as a freelance assistant editor mostly working for a new post production house. I also make my own films plus a few client projects. Despite this i'm still really skint from putting myself through uni...how the hell do they expect students to pay £1250 tuition fees per year on your own???:grr: Hopefully this time next year I'll be a fully blown freelance editor/filmmaker and have some money to flit away!
    Last edited by Shera; 4th September 2005 at 03:22 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

well went school, got a gnvq in it, went uni finsihed there after pissing about for a long time, while i was there i was working at sainsburys to pay off my tuition fees. good learning experience while i was there. then had enough of that after being there for 5 years so then went to an agency and they offered me a job with HSBC, more money, less stress and get to sit on my arse all day, never see a customer cuz i work in a district centre. but yeah its pretty good there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Left school with 10 GCSE's, grades A-C. Followed my parents advice and sought an apprenticeship that lasted a whole 6 weeks. On the doile for 6 months before I got an apprenticeship as a sheet metal roofer and served my trade for 4 years on ICI. At the same time I studied basic computing skills and hardware maintenance. Met the now wife who was studying up north at Uni and got engaged to her 1 month before her graduation.

Moved to London, got a job at Nortel logging fault call's and completed my MCSE in NT in the 1st year. Moved onto Siemens & Barclay$ doing desktop support as a contractor for 2 years, the good old days!! Had the opportunity to move into Market Data Support and 2 years later I am still there. I had to pay for every bit of my studies myself as my mum couldn't afford it, I apprecaited the opportunity to study more as I was forking out for it.

All I ever wanted to be was a graphic artist but my mum couldn't afford to have me at college and working part time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, left school at 16 with very poor exams (hardly ever went to school lol) went to an dropout college, did electronic engineering, got some exams at last and went to work for a office equiptment company repairing copiers etc. Also did djing as a part time thing for around 7/8 years. Still work for an company based in Cheltenham, but now doing IT support. Fairly cushty job, get a company car and phone and pretty well paid

Thanks
    Karma Level

I left school at sixteen didnt do very well in my exams couple of b's and c's rest crap really,went into the car trade as a mechanic for a small back street garage that later became famous for all the wrong reasons(rouge traders) shame bastrds kept all me tools,anyway worker for good old B.K for a while then got an offer to train as a telecoms engineer so jumped at it stayed in the trade for quite some time as a contractor but then bottom started to fall out of telecoms met my future wife whilst contracting to *** and part time at currys electrical store happens her brother is a V.I.P for network rail and he put me name forward but thats all i had to go back to school and learn how to be a signaller which i did with distinction and havent looked back in the last four years i have put my credit score back on track had two beautiful little girls and bought our first home and i still have enough to buy the little thing like GADGETS I love GADGETS, Basically what im saying here is that you dont have to have degrees to get on but work hard and apply yourself and youll get there.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I left school with 8 GCSEs and went to college to do a BTEC in IT. Left college and worked for BT supporting a bespoke inventry management system (ording system for their Framestream and Cellstream network) as a contractor. Left there 3 and a half years later after making lots of money and was then out of work for 6 months. Although it was alright at first, it got depressing after a while. Went to work for Abbey national and after 5 months of taking shit from customers and my manager asking me to sell products to people that they don't want or need I left and got a job at Panasonic on the hepldesk. They then paid for all my Microsoft qualifications and am currently working towards my MCSE.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks