Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone been to Dublin before

Im flying out on Tuesday at 8am.

Can anyone recommend any good places for shopping, bevvy, grub etc.

Ta

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone been to Dublin before

The place is very expensive, but if you get chance, do the Guinness brewery tour and make sure you go up to the Gravity Bar, way up high.
    Ice cold Guinness and a view over Dublin.
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a fantastic place, great people, very hospitable. Me and the lads went 3 years in a row for St Patricks celebrations, loved it every time.

Cool bars are the main bar in The Morrison hotel (North Quay), and the bar in the Morgan hotel (although very expensive in here, good for one pre drink) Zanzibar (Ormond Quay way) and Ron Blacks on Dawson St. (Cafe en Seine a couple of doors down is okay for a few before you go in) There is SIN in Temple Bar, it's full of English because Temple Bar is the main area everyone goes to, but the musics pretty good in there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can be in Dublin several times a week, but usually only in the daytime, and only for work.

As lin says, it's a very expensive place. The night scene takes place mostly in the Temple Bar area, just south of the river. Plenty of bars and clubs, but it can be quite violent too. O'Connell Street, on the north side of the river is lined with food takeaway shops but is best avoided at night, plenty of muggings take place along there. The GPO building, where the 1916 rising started is there, still peppered with bullet marks. The Guinness tour has also been recommended to me. If you have ever ploughed through James Joyce's 'Ullyses', you may want to visit St Stephens Green, a fine park close to the city centre. This is joined to Trinity College by Grafton Street, Dublins equivalent of Oxford Street. Trinity College, one of Dublins Universities, has the Book of Kells, written about 800AD, one of the most beautiful books in the world, worth having a look at. Opposite Trinity College is a Bank of Ireland, located in the old Irish Parliament building, you can go in and look around, and see the old debating hall, now the bank, and the House of Lords. Take the old Jameson Whiskey Distillery tour if you have the time, and try a drop of the Uisce Beatha (Water of Life, Uisce = whiskey).

But if time is short, visit the Guinness storehouse or stick to the Temple Bar area, plenty to see and do around there.

Q-Buster
    Last edited by Q-Buster; 21st August 2005 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spellin misteak

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice guys, im only going for one night. I'll defo check out the ones you guys mentioned.

Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

i went to a cracking place for food but i cant remember the name of the place, all i can remember is there all kinds of motorbikes over the walls and and hanging from the ceiling, it was really nice food and wasnt too expensive either, maybe if you ask a taxi driver he will know it, the taxi drivers are lunatics btw

Thanks
    Karma Level

I stayed in Temple bar at the morgan hotel, the bar is great but as mentioned very expensive dont get the breakfast it is a rip off but it is a buffet go to the corner a Spar type of store they do breakfast baguetes they are huge.

Under the Morgan is the Hard rock cafe which is pretty good the staff were really freindly, accross the road is the Thunderoad cafe possible the one schematic is on about and the food in there was good too but both of them are burger/america sort of places.

Guiness is a good laugh and there is the jamesons distilary. to get the best out of the city you could do one of the open top bus tours, they will show you everything and it only takes a few hours and you dont have to walk. also the tours take you in to the guiness factory and close to jamesons so you can use them as a taxi.

Shopping area's tehre are a couple of street that cross oconnell street and there is the area arround Grafton street, all the little streets have shops selling al sorts of stuff and are really good to have a look round. the place isnt cheaper than over here though.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

been twice. temple bar is good like everyone said. you can just walk though. every pub is half decent we didnt end up in anywhere bad.

I would say though dont go the guiness brewery. we didnt even do the full tour about half way through was that bored we just ran to the top got the free guiness and left.

heinekan bar was pretty good. and the club next to the temple bar hotel.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

"Temple Bar" bloody tourists. :| If you are only there for one night then the streets off Grafton Street have some of the better Dublin Pubs. Stick to the south side