Close

Thread: using a laptop

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default using a laptop

i want to use my laptop for sat nav could some one please advise me on whats the best software to use.

thanks in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: using a laptop

id also be interested in this..

what extra hardware/software does it require and can somone point me to a site to get it..

Thanks
    Karma Level

autoroute 2005 now has gps included in it - dunno if its any good though

Thanks
    Karma Level

not sure how good AR2005 is but you can try www.gpss.co.uk
    all else you would need is a GPS receiver. either a USB/PS2/Bluetooth model (if your lappy has BT).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd be interested in any recommendations for good usb gps receivers, as I've been wanting to set GPS up on my laptop for ages but never have gotten round to trying it
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used a bluetooth adaptor and my Holux GPSlim 236 with Autoroute 2005 it doesnt give any voice prompts it just shows your position on the map and tracks it.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have installed a coverdisk version (Computer Shopper from a few months ago) of 'And Route Planner' on my laptop. The routing on it seems quite good, especially in Ireland, Europe is included. This can be upgraded to a GPS version, but I dont know if it will give voice directions, however if the map is there with my location on it, I could live with that limitation. I need to get a USB Bluetooth receiver for the lappy first. I cant find the disk at the minute, just the cover it came in

Q-Buster

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

dad uses his laptop all day long with a usb gps device cheapest from ebay :/
    and routing s/w with voice called navagator (not tomtom or nowt just navagtor) think infomap makes it ?

but use it to go to scotland london and every where

i no autoroute 2004 does a location sensor so u can see where u are but wont give voice (dunno if 2005 does tho)

(17:18:34) (+Cam) i need to mount my xbox hdd in linux
    (17:19:02) (+SpikeWork) youth of today, they'll mount anything

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just stumbled upon this piece of software 'Copiliot Live 7, Laptop'

Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks fairly promising. Found a review here:

pocketgpsworld.com/copilot-live-laptop7.php

Thanks
    Karma Level

I reckon your best bet if you had the cash would be to have a microsystem installed in either the glove box or the boot and have a small LCD touch screen on the dash. You could then have tv, internet, GPS, DVD, gameplay, mp3 play etc all through the one system, saving you a fuckin lot in separate units!
    The unit setup would be a piece of piss, it would just be the touch-screen that would prolly set you back a bit!

Edit:
    Not too bad actually! - http://www.allcam.biz/products/lcd_touch_screen.html
    May be a thing to think about soon - rather than spending say 150 on a head unit, 200 on a good dvd player, 200 on a good sat nav etc, have the base unit in your boot running off the battery through an in-line fuse. Use touch-screen for interaction. Wire the sound card through an amp and into your speakers. Mount the LCD screen somewhere onto the dash and wire along a VGA extension cable.
    you could even have it either mounted in your glove box (would prolly have to be a custom job!) or use a USB drive, but then you could have a CD/DVD drive mounted into your dash-board (say where your head unit would normally go!).
    Bang a 250gb HDD in there and you have all the music/gameplay and even films stored on there that you could possibly want from an in-car system!

Turning it on and shutting down may be a pain in the arse to remember, but then again, if you use an ATX board, you could always wire the power-on switch into the front of the car... It surely would be a cool project for someone to try - if I wasn't absolutely fuckin skint, I'd start it tomorrow!
    Last edited by /dev/null; 7th September 2005 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just found another nav software for PDA and laptops inc voice prompts. 'iGuidance'

http://www.inavcorp.com/products/igu...rope_comp.html

Now just need to find the software to trial it.....:whistle

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have found the software, its 3 x ISO's, is it OK to post a torrent for this software here?

Q-Buster

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just started using Alturion GPS Professional With European Maps v6 0 DVD-QUANTUM with an IBM T23 Notebook and an EverMore GM-307 GPS USB Mouse which I got off ebay for £26 delivered.

All seems to be working together Ok.

Mouse is magnetic so I've mounted it through the sunroof, just so I knew I was getting the best signal possible from cold set up and it found me within 5-10 mins. I raed on other forums it can take up to an hour sometimes to lock on. Now it's under a minute when I power it all up. I'm averageing locking on to 5-6 sats with the mouse mounted externally.

Software is ok. Not brilliant but a good start. Seemed a bit complicated to start with but getting used to it. Comes with all major and minor roads in Europe, well my version does, :whistle and has speed camera warnings. Need to use it on a long journey and play around with the journey settings a bit.
    It has various Points Of Interest, train stations, hospitals,petrol stations, banks, car dealerships.... and all the MacDonalds :thumbs :thumbs

Def recommend for a cheap start up.

I've a 12v to 240v inverter to power notebook but don't think my ciggie lighter is giving enough current out so I'm gonna take a 12v feed straight from battery.

Next move is to mount a web cam and find wifi hot spots.. with a view to mounting 7" touch screen head unit.. seen one for £165 + p&p.. well thats the plan.. we'll see...

hope this helps

wizzo