Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Woman harnessed 'to till field'

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Woman harnessed 'to till field'

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IBYL --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>By Faisal Mohammad Ali
    BBC News, Bhopal
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- E IBYL -->

<!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA --><!-- S SF -->A woman in the Indian state of Chattisgarh has been forced to plough a field harnessed alongside a bull.

The move was ordered by village elders who said she had angered the rain god by breaking a taboo on women touching ploughs, thus risking a drought.

Police are investigating the case but have made no arrests and the woman has not asked for charges to be brought.

The belief in the area that a woman will bring bad luck if she touches a plough goes back centuries. <!-- E SF -->

Some residents of the village of Naugain say they saw the woman, 25-year-old Antardeshiya Bai, touching the plough towards the end of August.

There have been no rains in the area since then.

Legal opinion

Village elders then decided that the rain god was angry because of the sacrilegious actions of the woman.

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg> The police have not been able to do much in the case as the woman refuses to file a complaint

AN Upadhayaya, Police Inspector General

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->

They decided that the rain god could be propitiated only if she tilled the land harnessed in a plough.

City police chief Raj Kumar Dewangan told the BBC that the couple seemed to have no option but to obey the order, especially since she was from a minority caste in the village.

Inspector General of Police AN Upadhayaya said "the police have not been able to do much in the case as the woman refuses to file a complaint." He said the woman was "saying that she obeyed the order of the villagers because she didn't want the place to face a drought". Police have been seeking legal opinion on whether a formal criminal case could be framed under a law which bans witchcraft and such activities in the state, the police chief said.<!-- E BO -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4245106.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Woman harnessed 'to till field'

The move was ordered by village elders who said she had angered the rain god
    Dear oh dear oh dear.

And these folk are dismayed when we label them "backwards"?

Jesus Christ.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

rain god
    Quote Originally Posted by Shambles
    Jesus Christ.

Thanks
    Karma Level

she could have been japanese and for punishment had bukake performed by all the next village, i wouldnt say backward i would say diffrent strokes for diffrent folks , principles

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rudey
    she could have been japanese and for punishment had bukake performed by all the next village, i wouldnt say backward i would say diffrent strokes for diffrent folks , principles
    C'mon m8, it's barbaric how women are treated in some Indian communitries. In some parts of India if a woman commits adultery she is murdered and the local authorities often turn a blind eye, a) because it is considered tradition and b) because she is a woman. That's about as backward as you can get...........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    C'mon m8, it's barbaric how women are treated in some Indian communitries. In some parts of India if a woman commits adultery she is murdered and the local authorities often turn a blind eye, a) because it is considered tradition and b) because she is a woman. That's about as backward as you can get...........
    But theres nowt wrong with a bit of bukkake.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bertroot
    But theres nowt wrong with a bit of bukkake.
    That goes without saying m8, any woman who doesn't appreciate the load of 20 men emptied onto her face, in her mouth and all over her hair deserves to be murdered in my opinion. In fact, I'd submit all women to a Mike Reid Style Runaround where they have to choose either Bukkake or Death................................ RAAARNARAAAAND NAAAAAAAAA

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    RAAARNARAAAAND NAAAAAAAAA
    Buhahaha!! Might be a bit torturous getting sprayed with 20 Mike Reids balsam but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

good god :nono

police cant do much

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

In Bombay there are properties valued at 10's of millions of dollars, in Banglaore and Hyderabad you have some of the worlds top IT companies and in Chattisgarh you have a woman tied to plough, India is truly a country of contrasts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rudey

I dont agree with this womans punishment or the beliefs that led to this situation,but this is there religion and culture and i believe they should have the right to excersise it without interference.
    Okay its abhorrent to us but they will progress to a state of equality on there own, im sure we have rituals and customs they find just as wrong
    Bitches aint shit!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by herbinator
    I dont agree with this womans punishment or the beliefs that led to this situation,but this is there religion and culture and i believe they should have the right to excersise it without interference.
    Okay its abhorrent to us but they will progress to a state of equality on there own, im sure we have rituals and customs they find just as wrong
    Just because something has been done for a number of years doesn't make it the right thing to do. Acts of barbarity that parade as traditions or religious beliefs are still barbaric acts no matter how you dress them up. Treating a women like an animal is wrong, unless it features in a max hardcore production of course, then it is clearly art.