Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Wire

Set in Baltimore, this show centers around the city's inner-city drug scene. The show depicts the lives of every part of the drug "food chain", from junkies to dealers, and from cops to politicians.
    Anyone watch this? It's fucking awesome. Right up there with The Shield, Sopranos, Six Feet Under and the rest of the quality US shows we're getting right now.

It's showing on FX now every Tuesday at around ten and then gets repeated a couple of times through the week but I'm not sure which series it is and how far through it it is. There have been three seasons as far as I know.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Wire

only spotted this post now.

The Wire goes up to series 3 (watched them all in the space of about 6 weeks)

Its really good TV. Better than the Shield but not quite the Soprannos (what is tho !!!)

If its the one about The docks then its series 2

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, I got hold of the first two seasons on DVD. The first season is about as good a series as I've ever seen, possibly even better than The Sopranos but they stretched that level of quality over more episodes thus far. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is probably still my favourite ever tv show but The Wire is certainly amongst the best. The second season was a little weaker but more ambitious and it provides a great setup for the third.

How have you seen the third season? Have you ripped it? HBO aren't releasing it until early 2006 from what I can see.

'Business. Always business.'

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a copy of it, its great........... all I`m going to say is that its back in the projects.......

Series 2 was bold to try and keep the original story thread going and bring the new one in regarding the docks.......... Series 3 is back to what you know

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by baronvon
    I have a copy of it, its great...........
    Where did you get the copy?

Thanks
    Karma Level

PM me you addy and I`send a copy.

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rock and Roll.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So, what program is it similar to? I saw the adverts for it when season 2 was about to appear on FX a while back but I hate watching something that I havent seen from the beginning. Season 1 is in WHSmiths atm and im tempted to buy it but its bloody expensive (same price as off net £35).

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's an ultra-realistic cop show. It follows the course of a detail of Baltimore cops trying to bring down a drug dealing gang in the projects. It's on HBO so there's violence, nudity and foul language aplenty.

The problem is I can't draw any comparisons as I haven't come across many dramas that are quite as single minded regarding plot. Peripheral storylines are of little import and it doesn't have the episodic nature of The Shield (probably it's closest contemporary) because that show will have one or two sub-plots running alongside the main series plot.

Son, just get it if you can spare the cash. That or join lovefilm. You get two weeks free (3 if I recommend you) and you could stick all the wire dvds at the top of your list, watch them and then cancel your subscription before payment is taken after the initial free trial. Robert's your fathers brother.

Thanks
    Karma Level

WP top description

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

Baron, just finished watching season 3. Fucking fantastic. The scope was even bigger than the second series. The ambition of the writers is unbelievable but the way they tie it altogether is just incredible. I still think the first season is about as perfect a tv series as there's ever been but this was just top fucking draw.

Anyone reading this should just go and fucking rip, buy, rent this now. By hook or by crook. I like 24, Lost, West Wing etc. but this shit is on another level. The Shield comes close but it's up there with The Sopranos. It's that fucking good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

glad u enjoyed

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

The price is coming down. Hopefully after Christmas it will be within my budget.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by baronvon
    glad u enjoyed

THE BARON
    An Ed Burns interview regarding the new season:

Ed Burns

Writer and Producer Ed Burns talks to HBO about being a teacher in Baltimore's inner city and how that experience is informing Season 4 of The Wire.

HBO
    After 20 years as a cop you became a teacher. How did that come about?

ED BURNS
    After I retired from the Police Department, Dave [Simon] and I wrote The Corner. I'm just a natural loser, so I decided it would be fun to teach in an inner-city school, because that's the kind of world I like. And that's pretty much the amount of thought I gave it until I walked into the room.

HBO
    What did you have to do to prepare for the switch?

ED BURNS
    You know, it's not like the teachers are beating down the doors. In a place like Baltimore, most schools start the school year short of teachers. So, if you've got two arms, two legs and two eyes, they're begging for you.

Psychologically, there's no way to prepare for it. The closest preparation I think I had was when I went to Vietnam in the infantry.

In the first year I was teaching, there were 120 kids in our group; thirteen had been shot. This was in seventh grade.

HBO
    Can you describe the classroom a bit? Why is it so challenging?

ED BURNS
    Well, it's how damaged these kids are. I mean, it's profound. You get a class of 35 kids, of which five or six are thugs—what the DSM calls "oppositionally defiant children." So they're fighting and disruptive and cursing you like sailors.

Everybody's in motion. The educational range in a classroom, if you're teaching 8th grade, is probably from the first grade to the sixth grade. So you have students who can't read a lick to kids who maybe can read on the sixth grade level.

Their needs are so phenomenal on the educational level. And then, as you get to know them, you realize that that is just the crust on the cake. Kids are seeing people killed in front of them. In the first year I was teaching, there were 120 kids in our group; thirteen had been shot. This was in seventh grade. Lots had been stabbed. All of them had been abused, one way or the other. So when you put them in a classroom with a curriculum that doesn't compute with their world, everybody has a way of surviving, right?

You have the small boy who becomes a doll for the girls, they're playing with his hair. Other kids are reading magazines, drawing on their desks. Kids are spitting sunflower seeds on the floor. Other kids are drinking vodka from what you thought was a water bottle. And the noise level makes it very difficult for anything to progress.

You'd have to keep them off-guard like a boxer, you know. And every once in a while you get a little sliver of a moment to teach. But what you're actually doing is modeling a caring behavior.

HBO
    Did you feel that you made headway?

ED BURNS
    Well, when the kids leave me, they're just back in the mix in eighth grade again. What you try to do is present an image that the kids—maybe at some time later on in life, even if they're sitting in prison or something—can reflect on. There's another way of being; it doesn't have to just be the way you see on the street. Because that's all they're getting. The only representative of traditional society that some of these kids see is the teacher.

A bad teacher is what they expect, because adults in general are bad. So when they see the adult who's consistent, who's always there, who always comes through with what he said, then that's a new world for them.

Kids will give respect where respect is warranted. And I could touch them because they believed that I cared about them. I used to stay at the school for chess club in a computer room, and some of the kids would come up for lunch. When they're really close, when you can really interact with them, they're wonderful, vibrant human beings. But collectively they're a pain in the ass.

HBO
    Did you get close to giving up?

ED BURNS
    No, I love teaching. I mean, I truly, truly love to teach.

HBO
    How did you translate your experiences to the show?

ED BURNS
    We take the kids from the first episode, where you see them as children and less as adults. And then, as you move through the season, we bring the problems in. We have four distinct personalities that we're following. They're as consistent on the street as in the classroom.

Sometimes we think of schools and prisons as being removed from society, places where the street doesn't enter in. But that's not the case. The school is porous. If there's a problem in the neighborhood, there's a problem in the school. A wannabe thug is a wannbe thug in the classroom.

So a kid might be disruptive in class, but when someone is showing them how to load a gun, they're riveted. That's how I see education.

HBO
    The idea of education as a theme sounds awfully high-minded. As a storyteller, how do you turn that into a story that affects people?

ED BURNS
    Well, it's not about education as you're thinking about education. Everybody is going to get educated. It's just a question of where. Some people get educated in the classroom, some people get educated in a boxing gym; some people get educated on a corner.

So we have adult characters who are the magnets of where you get educated. Marlo is a huge magnet. Cutty and Colvin are trying a different approach.

When kids are connected through interest, that's where the process begins. So a kid might be disruptive in class, but when someone is showing them how to load a gun, they're riveted. That's how I see education.

HBO
    It's interesting in that these are not the typical primetime TV characters.

ED BURNS
    I think guys like Bodie and Prop Joe and Slim Charles and Marlo are very compelling. They're a group of people you don't get to see and by giving them humanity, and a bureaucracy and you start to like them. You feel sorry for the Bodies of the world when Avon is screwing up on top, and for the Lester Freamons, when Burrell is screwing up at the top.

The people that we've had playing these characters over the years have also made them so believable. They're like tools in a tool kit for the writer, because someone like JD Williams, who plays Bodie, or Jamie Hector, who plays Marlo brings so much to a scene with the kids.

HBO
    Do you remember how the idea got started that this would be the direction you guys would go this year?

ED BURNS
    Well, each year we've tried to look at one aspect of the city and this was on our list. I think it's neat to find out where these drug dealers and drug addicts are coming from. And where they're coming from is a failed education process. A system which, in this town is abominable. In high schools there's a 70 percent drop-out rate.

HBO
    It's unbelievable...

ED BURNS
    No, it's not unbelievable. It's the same in Detroit, it's the same in East St. Louis. It's just not talked about.

As with the police department, as with the dying port, there's a disfunctionalism which must have outcomes. And every dying institution, like a dying animal, seeks to protect itself. The schools and Burrell's Police Department were unresponsive, because it's about keeping the world as is, so you're on top of it.

HBO
    As a writer, do you enjoy having these long arcs to play out stories organically?

ED BURNS
    It's wonderful, because you can plan something in episode 302 that doesn't blossom until 504. I remember in the second season we had this woman in the background just scrubbing her steps. And you see her in the background, just scrubbing every episode, and the drug dealers are moving closer and closer, until the final episode—they're sitting on her steps and she has a little 'for sale' sign in the window.

HBO
    So is there a message that you think people can take away from this year's arc?

ED BURNS
    I think the idea we're trying to bring across is that kids are going to get educated. And that we're going to see where. It's not about kids making bad mistakes and becoming caught in the Criminal Justice system. They don't have an option of choice. We in society have the choices. So you might see a kid who clearly doesn't have a prayer and it will be very apparent why he doesn't have a prayer. It's not about blaming kids. They will survive. They will learn. It's just a question of where.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If anyone hasn't seen this it's starting again on Monday evening (23rd July) at 10pm on FX from season one.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

They're repeating all four seasons in readiness for the fifth and final season. If anybody's not watched any of them this is the perfect chance to watch one of if not probably the best television drama ever created.

The Charlie Brooker short documentary about the show 'Tapping The Wire' has also been showing every day for the last few days and is on again tonight at 9.30pm. It's a talking heads type programme with Alexei Sayle, Graham Linehan and a few others but has some nice interviews with the cast and writers as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive just started watching this and finished Season 1 the other day............. WOW.............. What a great show, The acting in it is 1st class and the story lines are very well written

Ive watched 2 episodes of series 2 already, I thought that it would be a totally different character set after the 1st series but was pleased to see it wasnt

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher View Post
    Ive watched 2 episodes of series 2 already, I thought that it would be a totally different character set after the 1st series but was pleased to see it wasnt

Different characters are introduced every season but the main core is retained unless they...err...die.

For anyone that's interested: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2007/...e_televis.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a class act, I'm surprised it's slipped below the radar for as long as it has.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPill View Post
    They're repeating all four seasons in readiness for the fifth and final season. If anybody's not watched any of them this is the perfect chance to watch one of if not probably the best television drama ever created.

The Charlie Brooker short documentary about the show 'Tapping The Wire' has also been showing every day for the last few days and is on again tonight at 9.30pm. It's a talking heads type programme with Alexei Sayle, Graham Linehan and a few others but has some nice interviews with the cast and writers as well.
    Not seen the Charlie Brooker short, will look out for that. Thanks pal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast