Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Outlook Express 6 Problems

Hi, I use outlook express 6 for my e-mail, all was fine on Friday using BT Broadband 2MB going via a hub that was connected to a router as my connection (so i was using an ethernet cable), since I've moved to reading I'm connecting to the internet via the university network in my room (again, using an ethernet cable).

The problem is that I can recieve e-mails, but it won't let me send them! I have to log onto my account on the BT Internet website and send e-mails via there! This is very annoying! When I try to send an e-mail I get this error message:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Domain28', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I've done a google search, they all say to check my settings (they were fine on Friday and I havn't touched them) or my modem (I'm connected via the University network...so no modem!)

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Outlook Express 6 Problems

Have you changed service providers?

If so, your smtp has to reflect the new isp.

I can still send my tesco.net emails but have to go through my isp, who is Pipex.

for my settings I have

pop: mail.tesco.net
    smtp: smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No m8, all I have done is unplug the laptop from the Ethernet in my house and then reconnected it to the university, again using an Ethernet cable.

My incoming and outgoing mail servers are both "mail.btinternet.com" and have been for some time now, since before I joined these forums, that was over 3.5 years ago!! This has only happened now!

Thanks
    Karma Level

So bt.com provides your internet at university?

Thanks
    Karma Level

no, the university has it's own network, bt internet only provide my PERSONAL e-mail, I won't get my uni e-mail addy till 2moro, but if i'm going to send stuff using my BT Internet account then it has to go throught the BT servers.....doesn't it? Outlook express is configured to send/recieve using any available connection, wether it be dail up or network or what ever.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Domain28
    no, the university has it's own network, bt internet only provide my PERSONAL e-mail, I won't get my uni e-mail addy till 2moro, but if i'm going to send stuff using my BT Internet account then it has to go throught the BT servers.....doesn't it? Outlook express is configured to send/recieve using any available connection, wether it be dail up or network or what ever.

Most ISP's only let you send mail through their SMTP servers when you are connected via their ADSL service.

Your UNI is also pretty likey to be blocking Port 25 ( SMTP ) as it doesn't want loads of l33t student hack0rs mass mailing through there system.

Have a chat with the IT Dept and check.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No, this is the problem. You are going through another isp, and it treats your attempts to send email as spamming. You usually get a 500 error.

You need the smtp details for your new isp along with the usual username and password, you won't be able to use OE until then.
    You will keep your pop details but just change your smtp info to your uni one when you get it.

Unfortunately nobody ever tells you this in advance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have two email addresses and I have set the second one to the same outgoing server as the first so that I can send using the same ISP. Once you have your uni address and incoming and outgoing server addresses, try substituing the SMTP on your BT for the uni one

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just tried using the uni servers as my outgoing mail server and during authentication it wants my username and password, but wants the one belonging to the uni, dont get that till 2moro, so if any1 has any other sugestions, otherwise i'll jst have to wait and try tomorrow

Thanks
    Karma Level

Aye, just hang fire, that's all you can do.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey, got my uni username and password 2day, changed my outgoing mail server to the uni one, it asked for my username and password, put in the info and it worked!! cheers guys!