Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Council tax rebel released early

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Council tax rebel released early

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Back Home: Sylvia Hardy returned to her flat after being released

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA --><!-- S SF -->Pensioner Sylvia Hardy has been freed less than two days into a seven-day jail term after a mysterious donor paid her £53.71 council tax arrears.

Ms Hardy was jailed on Monday after refusing to pay an increase more than the rate of inflation on her tax bill.

But her arrears were paid by a "Mr Brown", so prison officials were duty-bound to release her.

However, the 73-year-old, from Exeter, Devon, said she was disappointed not to have served her full sentence. <!-- E SF -->

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg> I was taken out lying on the back seat with a sheet over my body - a bit James Bondish, isn't it?

Sylvia Hardy

<!-- S ILIN -->Ms Hardy interview
    <!-- E ILIN -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->

Ms Hardy, who argues the tax is unfair on retired people, was jailed on Monday and had been due to be freed on Friday.

She was the first female pensioner to be jailed in England for refusing to pay a rise in her bill over the rate of inflation. She had served two full days and one night of her sentence.

Ms Hardy said: "The prison governor was hounded from the moment I got into prison by a mysterious Mr Brown, as he called himself.

"He left two contact numbers, one in Bristol and one in London, said he was a Christian and that he wanted to pay my debt.

"But the thing that worried us all was that he wanted me to be released to him. The governor's duty was to my safety, so he refused the offer and I went along with that.

"But this man reported the governor to the authorities, saying I was being held illegally because an offer had been made to pay the debt."

'Automatic release'

She said "hasty arrangements" were then made to release her.

"A car came straight inside the prison and I was taken out lying on the back seat with a sheet over my body - a bit James Bondish, isn't it?"

A Home Office spokesman said: "Any individual who is imprisoned for non-payment of tax is automatically released if the sum is subsequently paid."

Ms Hardy said: "I suddenly thought this man is called Mr Brown. Could he be called Gordon?"

However, the Treasury said there was no truth in any suggestion the Chancellor was personally involved in her case.

Ms Hardy added that she thought it might have been a malicious gesture to disrupt her protest rather than a well-meaning but misguided gesture.

"Surely there's a human rights element? Surely the person who owes the money has the right to say whether they want this debt paid or not?

<!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Sylvia Hardy has said she was angered her protest was halted

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->"I don't think other people should be allowed to make those decisions."

She added she did not blame the prison authorities for her release from Eastwood Park Prison, in Gloucestershire, as they had been obliged to free her once the payment had been made.

She said: "I was treated very courteously and very kindly and efficiently by the prison officers, and I was certainly treated very well by the inmates who for obvious reasons, knowing the reason why I was in there, took me to their hearts."

Magistrates on Monday said they had no choice other than to jail Ms Hardy and that she should not be seen as "a martyr". She told Exeter Magistrates' Court that she was fighting to change a law she saw as unjust. She had faced a £683 council tax bill for her two-bedroom flat.<!-- E BO -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4288530.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Council tax rebel released early

I don't really know if she was just bored and wanted a bit of fuss and attention or if she was genuinley making a stand, or maybe both. Some people I was chatting to actually thought it wasn't fair to jail this 'old biddy' because she couldn't pay the money... I made the point to them that she refused to pay, not that she couldn't and the law is the law I guess. If we all refused to pay what we considered to be too much for something (Car tax, fuel, insurance etc) this country would be in a right mess. I sometimes have to scrimp and save just as anyone else has to, regardless of age..if you want to change things, that's what elections are for and if there is enough like minded people out there, things will change.

I will add though, that I do think we give our older generation a rough deal, most have worked hard all their lives and paid there dues, but the law is the law... would prefer the scum bag muggers and killers to get put away just as quick.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Council tax rebel released early

She was definately genuine mate, some twat anonymously paid her arrears.

She was annoyed about this and I strongly suspect it was someone looking for some cheap advertising . I mean lets face it for 50 quid this Mr Brown could have sold his story or appeared on camera with any sort of Logo on his Tshirt to plug a product.

It could also have been the govt wishing to take the wind out of her sails and also saving the 1000 quid a day jail costs.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.