Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help How to get files to automatically backup on server.

Hi Lads,

Basically everything is connected on a router,and seeing each other on the network.

But i want one of the computers to be the server/backup system.

So basically the clients my documents or whatever i select will auto save to ther servers HDD when any changes are done.

Ive been trying all day and cant figure it out,All computers are on windows XP.

Can Windows XP act as a Backup computer??

Any ideas what needs to be done lads.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How to get files to automatically backup on server.

Hi,
    You will need to get some kind of thirds party utility to do this - WindowsXP does not contain the feature as standard.
    We used to use a simliar thing to syncronize two sets of files for a membership scheme. Can't for th elife of me remember what it was called. A sync would possibly be too slow for you though, depending on the number of users and files...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by John Keymer
    Hi,
    You will need to get some kind of thirds party utility to do this - WindowsXP does not contain the feature as standard.
    We used to use a simliar thing to syncronize two sets of files for a membership scheme. Can't for th elife of me remember what it was called. A sync would possibly be too slow for you though, depending on the number of users and files...
    Cheers for the reply m8,least i know im wasting my time trying,glad i asked otherwise id of tryed all night.

What operating system would need to be installed,i take it that would be the easiest way?

Say windows server 2003??

Thanks
    Karma Level

You could stay with XP - share folders and map these to the clients PC's as actually drive mappings, so when they save to this drive/folder (depends how you want them to see it) it is actually on the XP (or 2003 if you wanted) PC, its this one machine which is then backed up to tape/dvd or cd.

You can also try backup programs - a good one I use is syncback which is from here http://www.2brightsparks.com/
    It is quite fast over a 100mb network and it allows you to copy whole drives, folders etc with filters or just to copy files that have changed since the last time it was run - you could I suppose run this as a scheduled task to pick up anything which has changed every 5 mins? But this depends on your file sizes and amount of PC's

If you are going with server software then 2003 is not too bad.
    ~ FECK OFF ~
    Irish Connection

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bugmonsta
    You could stay with XP - share folders and map these to the clients PC's as actually drive mappings, so when they save to this drive/folder (depends how you want them to see it) it is actually on the XP (or 2003 if you wanted) PC, its this one machine which is then backed up to tape/dvd or cd.

You can also try backup programs - a good one I use is syncback which is from here http://www.2brightsparks.com/
    It is quite fast over a 100mb network and it allows you to copy whole drives, folders etc with filters or just to copy files that have changed since the last time it was run - you could I suppose run this as a scheduled task to pick up anything which has changed every 5 mins? But this depends on your file sizes and amount of PC's

If you are going with server software then 2003 is not too bad.
    Cheers for the reply m8,

I See what u mean on the top one,Basically everything they save (if saved in the network drive) will go straight to network,and obviously be available if one of the clients computers kanckerd.

Ive seen on a server before that windows 2000 server would back over the network,in like a SYSVOL folder,it would just see the computer's i.e. computer 1 and store the files.

How can this be dont out of interest?

Any links will be great also,cant seem to get the wording in yahoo correct,using the word BACKUP goes on about backing up with ghost etc.totally differnt stuff.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by jw_2000_uk; 9th October 2005 at 10:02 AM.