Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info England 2 - 1 Poland

So who watched the match last night then? lets hear your reactions to last nights game! Who do you think got man of the match, how well do you think england played etc...

WAYNE ROONEY came to Sven Goran Eriksson's rescue with yet another stunning show.

With England's fans crying out for entertainment after the unconvincing victory over Austria on Saturday, the Manchester United star delivered in spades.

His enthusiasm and energy ran through the entire side and the only question was why England failed to score more as they secured their place as World Cup Group Six winners.

Eriksson knew he was under pressure to deliver a display as well as a result and in Rooney he now has a man he can rely on.

The Old Trafford ace was inspirational and even showed his gentlemanly side in front of referee Kim Milton Nielsen, who sent him off for clapping sarcastically in the Champions League last month.

The rest of the team took their lead from Rooney and will only be disappointed not to have won by a clearer margin.

It was not for lack of efforts on goal with Rooney, Joe Cole and Frank Lampard all going close in the first half.

But there was more to the performance which will have pleased Eriksson.

After a shaky start, Ledley King grew into the midfield anchor role and looked a fantastic understudy to Steven Gerrard.

And Lampard obviously enjoyed the change as he was given full responsibility to knit the midfield together.
    Cole was also back to his best, providing the balance on the left with Shaun Wright-Phillips happy to surge down the right flank at every given chance.

When the breakthrough did come, it was a familiar face taking the applause.

Stand-in skipper Michael Owen was one of the few England players to have a quiet first period, but he was there when it mattered in the 43rd minute.

From Lampard's corner, Cole drove into a forest of legs and there was Owen to deflect the shot into the back of the net.

Amazingly, Poland levelled in injury time at the end of the half.

John Terry had had nothing to do for 45 minutes but he was helpless to stop Kamil Kosowski's cross from the right.

Luke Young was drawn towards the ball leaving Tomasz Frankowski to ram in his volley.
    But nobody could complain with Eriksson's tactics until then.

Rooney, Cole and Wright-Phillips scared the life out of the Poles and King was also in the thick of the action.

Wright-Phillips had the first effort on goal when he cut in from the right but his left-footed shot was weak and straight at Artur Boruc.

King and Lampard then went close before Rooney produced a moment of genius which showed why he is going to be so important to England's hopes in Germany next year.
    With his back to goal the former Everton striker turned on a sixpence, swayed past two defenders and smashed a shot which whistled inches over the bar from 25 yards out.

Cole also had another go before Owen finally broke the deadlock.

Unfortunately, Poland's one chance brought the equaliser but Eriksson must surely have been delighted with his new-look team.

The second half was far more subdued with both sides keeping it cagey.

But Cole tried to keep the momentum going and found Owen unmarked at the far post only for the Newcastle hitman to head tamely at Boruc.

Owen forced another save from the Polish keeper when he found himself clean through but could not get any pace on his curler.

Something had to give and Owen eventually turned provider with 10 minutes to go.

A swift break saw Cole feed the Toon ace and his floated cross was brilliantly volleyed into the roof of the net by Lampard.
    Poland were poor and there was nothing serious riding on this game.

But at last England looked like a side capable of making Eriksson's claims for glory come true.

Source: The Sun
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 13th October 2005 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: England 2 - 1 Poland

.............Good old Fat Frank
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

Thanks
    Karma Level

glad we won thats for sure,, lets hope we build on this now, and the next game we give a far better performance.

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

My reaction is that a certain lanky twat shouldnt have been on the pitch even as a sub. This lanky streak of piss fooks up everything he touches .

He even looks shit in training :

what a fu(king Jessie !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The boo's when he came on were funny
    ;)

Thanks
    Karma Level

england have to many individual players they dont seem to play well as a team i think sven the sex god just try's to please everybody..

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

England play well when...

Gerrard and Lampard aren't playing together

When Rooney plays

Thought Ledley King played well too.

What does Eriksson do with the Gerrard/Lampard situation? Seems clear to me they can't play well together. Maybe keep Lampard in CM and stick Gerrard elsewhere (I seem to remember he started his career off at right back - plus Luke Young doesn't seem good enough to play there)

SWP and Beckham - Who would you rather have?

Crouch is wank and shouldn't be in there but getting booed was a bit shit really
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Plus that's a great piccy posted up of Crouch above
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty
    England play well when...

Gerrard and Lampard aren't playing together

When Rooney plays
    Just about sums it up for me, I know it was only one game but the balance of the side was far better and I know they won't but they should drop Beckham.

Rooney is the star though, I haven't enjoyed watching a player this much since Gascoigne was in his heyday at Spurs. A few of his passes went astray last night but he is something special, just hope he keeps on improving.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    Just about sums it up for me, I know it was only one game but the balance of the side was far better and I know they won't but they should drop Beckham.

Rooney is the star though, I haven't enjoyed watching a player this much since Gascoigne was in his heyday at Spurs. A few of his passes went astray last night but he is something special, just hope he keeps on improving.
    Yeah I still think he's a twat but he's an amazing player and great to watch

Thanks
    Karma Level

Serious question

Why did England and Poland both qualify 1 as group winners the other as best runner up in groups on saturday when there was still 1 game left to play between them which if england had lost would have left them on 22 points. Assuming England lost last night the runners up would be

Czech Republic 27 points
    Turkey 23 points
    Slovakia 23 points
    England 22 points
    Sweden 24 points

So the two best placed runners up would be Czech Republic and Sweden with the other three teams joining Norway and Spain and Switzerland in the play offs.

I know it's irrelevent now as England won and topped the group but it should be Czech Republic and Sweden (who have better goal difference than Poland) that qualified as best placed runners up not Sweden and Poland
    :beer 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.:beer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whats your verdict on that lame giraffe Crouch ? :nowords:
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSteve
    Serious question

Why did England and Poland both qualify 1 as group winners the other as best runner up in groups on saturday when there was still 1 game left to play between them which if england had lost would have left them on 22 points. Assuming England lost last night the runners up would be

Czech Republic 27 points
    Turkey 23 points
    Slovakia 23 points
    England 22 points
    Sweden 24 points

So the two best placed runners up would be Czech Republic and Sweden with the other three teams joining Norway and Spain and Switzerland in the play offs.

I know it's irrelevent now as England won and topped the group but it should be Czech Republic and Sweden (who have better goal difference than Poland) that qualified as best placed runners up not Sweden and Poland
    Did some of the other groups have more teams in them?

EDIT: just looked and they did. Turkey, Slovakia and the CZECH Republic were in 7 team groups and hence played two games more.

A nd as for Peter Crouch he is the worst player to ever pull on and england shirt and that includes Steve Guppy
    Last edited by lombie; 13th October 2005 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    Whats your verdict on that lame giraffe Crouch ? :nowords:
    It's a strange one, I think Sven is convinced we need a target man. Crouch is the only one available, he's barely premiership class so I wouldn't have him in the squad, never mind on the pitch but then again I'm not England manager so maybe Sven sees something we can't.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lombie
    Did some of the other groups have more teams in them?

EDIT: just looked and they did. Turkey, Slovakia and the CZECH Republic were in 7 team groups and hence played two games more.

A nd as for Peter Crouch he is the worst player to ever pull on and england shirt and that includes Steve Guppy
    Ah right I get it now and feel a tit for not getting it before when it was so blindingly obvious lol

cheers matey
    :beer 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.:beer

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a strange one, I think Sven is convinced we need a target man. Crouch is the only one available, he's barely premiership class so I wouldn't have him in the squad, never mind on the pitch but then again I'm not England manager so maybe Sven sees something we can't.
    The (unt looks like an albino Massai clone to me.

ABCMan

was glad to see that by removing gerrard and beckham england looked more like a team, must confess i watched the ireland match live as that had more riding on it since england were already going forward, i recorded the england match and watched it later.

oh and i'm glad crouch got booed, there are plenty of players who deserve an england shirt ahead of that lanky disaster.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: England 2 - 1 Poland

maybe Sven sees something we can't.
    faria alam's breasts!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Drop Beckham??? :|

Yeah, the man who is on fire, the man who every pundit (apart from that twat in the Sun newspaper) admits is the most influential player and that no-one can cross a ball like he does.

The man who steps up to be counted.

if you want to drop someone, drop worm-burner Cole.

Play Carrick/Parker/King as a holding midfielder, with Gerrard out left and Lampard in the middle, this way the 2 Chelsea guys know how to play to his strengths due to Makelele, we still have the awesome power of Gerrard, and Beckham can get down the right wing.

Plus with passing football I never have to see that lanky piece of shit in a England shirt again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crueldrake
    Drop Beckham??? :|

Yeah, the man who is on fire, the man who every pundit (apart from that twat in the Sun newspaper) admits is the most influential player and that no-one can cross a ball like he does.

The man who steps up to be counted.
    I don't think it's any coincidence we played more like a team with Beckham not around.

That goal against Greece was a long time ago now, he's had the glory, it's about time he stood down for the good of the team.

Plus he's shite and his wife is a fukin drag queen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast