Optimising image size

Thread: Optimising image size

slartibartfast said:

Default Optimising image size

To try and minimise loading time for those with slower connections, and because sometimes free image servers are not as fast as they could be, it would be helpful if everyone could try to optimise their images before posting. Not only will it speed up the page loading, but it will also reduce the time you spend uploading.

For Photoshop, using File>Save for Web… (ALT+SHIFT+CTRL+S) is the most efficient method, with the “JPEG High” preset being a good balance between size and quality. In many cases you can reduce the quality slider even further to 50 or below with little negative impact on the image.

To demonstrate, here’s a badly optimised image using Save As and the maximum setting – resulting file size 436K
    Spoiler:

Same photo using Save for Web and the JPEG High preset with quality lowered to 50 – resulting file size 100K
    Spoiler:

Other imaging software like PSP will have similar options and you’ll need to find the best balance between file size and maintaining image quality.

Another quick and easy way to resize single or multiple files is to use [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], it’s also FREE. Once installed simply right click on your image or images, and select “Resize Pictures”, then choose your desired size and click OK.

Yet another option if you have a lot of images to post or still want to show off your megabyte monsters , is to use free hosting sites like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] which automatically generate clickable thumbnail images for you, and the required code, like this:

Code: [View]
    [ URL=http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=saveforweb7ls.jpg][ IMG]http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9358/saveforweb7ls.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    You can then cut and paste that into the thread instead of the full size version, like so.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Apologies to those who already know all this, but we do have a range of experience levels in here so hopefully it will be of use to someone.

Deadly said:

Default Re: Optimising image size

Good advice. Im using dial up at the moment (dont ask lol) so loading some picture threads does take a fair amount of time.

Bilbo_baggin said:

Word.

Bilbo.

Simate said:

Affirmative

Poor you Deadly, I was shocked, how do you cope?

Apocalypse said:

great advice slarti, i think you are defo the right person to be in charge of this section

flumperino said:

Nice one mate.

Another benefit is that is that resized photos don't break the skin like fat ones do

PsykoKlown said:

Great advice. Definitely will go by it.

slartibartfast said:

Attention Re: Optimising image size

I've noticed file sizes are starting to creep up again.

beansontoast said:

I have a couple of photos to put on here but when I use photoshop & save for web at jpeg medium the file sizes are still around 400k. I can make a thumbnail through photobucket & use it as a link, so is 400k still going to be too much data? Cheers.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

slartibartfast said:

If it's only a couple then 400k's fine, it's just when there's MB's of photo's in a thread it can take ages to load as the free image servers can be quite slow sometimes. Sounds like they're quite big in dimension though so the thumbnail option might be the best bet.

WRATH OF BOD said:

Question Re: Optimising image size

is there another software like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].im using vista but its not compatible with it??.
    in xp it was so easy.any idea

ZX7R said:

Quote Originally Posted by WRATH OF BOD View Post
    is there another software like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].im using vista but its not compatible with it??.
    in xp it was so easy.any idea

from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by ZX7R; 10th March 2007 at 11:07 PM.

WRATH OF BOD said:

thanks will give it ago

willp2003 said:

I've just downloaded VSO image resizer for vista (as a powertoy isn't available yet)

not quite a simple as the powertoy but done in a couple of clicks.

Robbo said:

microsoft image resizer won't run on Vista!?
    This problem was caused by a compatibility issue between this version of Windows and this version of Microsoft Powertoys for XP. This program was created by Microsoft Corporation.

Anything else I can use. my files are 1.5 meg each

*Edit just found some answers. Cheers
    Last edited by Robbo; 13th August 2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Never read the rest of thread

Mookie said:

Info Re: Optimising image size

I'd suggest IrfanView 4.2 (free version) [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] as an alternative to MS Image Resizer. I'm not on VISTA myself but did recommend it to a friend for her Photos on MySpace who is on VISTA and it seems to be working for her.

Just load up your pic and save as and it should automatically use an algorithm to optimise the picture, saving you some good k's off your file size whilst keeping the quality up!

Been using this tool myself on XP for my MySpace page to keep my page loading quicker (seem to remember Tom at MySpace recommending it in the early MySpace days, for saving them server space etc.)

I usually keep two copies of my photos, one set without optimisation in case I ever want to print them out at best quality and a compressed (optimised) version for use on Internet sites like Forums, Web Sites and Social Networking Sites.

I hope it works for you!

willp2003 said:

just realised i didn't have anything installed since I've had windows 7, and found the powertoy for XP has been replicated for vista and 7 (unofficially):

works well