Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default How strict are NT-L with their caps?

I'm thinking of switching from pipex to ***, mainly because I'm going over to digital and I can get he 1mb service for £17.99 whereas pipex are charging £23.44 a month for theirs plus I have to pay BT line rental. My plan is to go on NT-L and ditch the BT phoneline - works out I will save about £15 a month (may not seem like a lot, but it fuckin is awhen you're skint!).
    Now, the one thing that is really putting me off is the 3gb cap... I know I can go 2mb with a 30gb cap, however realistically I don't need this - I download far less than I used to, and 1mb is fine for viewing web pages plus the odd download!
    The problem is that my usage is in no pattern at all - some months I'd prolly use about 1gb of traffic and the next I may use 10+...

I was wondering what peoples experiences with capping has been so far... Do they send you a nasty letter if you hit 4gb in the month or will they waive the extra gb etc?

Plus, if I did get 1mb/3gb and decided it wasn't enough then do they have a re-grade fee should I wish to upgrade to 2mb/30gb?

Any help is much appreciated!

John.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How strict are NT-L with their caps?

Iam on 3meg and d/l about 2gb-8gb aday,never had a letter or a problem

very pleased with the service

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look over at h*tp://www.cableforum.co.uk/ Theres three very long threads about the caps.
    'Sausages! Hot sausages! Inna bun! Meat pies! Get them while they're hot!'
    ... Hole food! Hole food! Rat! Rat! Rat-onna-stick! Rat-in-a-bun! Get them while they're dead!'

Thanks
    Karma Level

n** capped my ass was on 3 meg with a 30 gig a month cap did between 300-500 gig a month so i guess i am a heavier then average user now im on half meg and being charged for 1 meg.
    Luckily got some free credit left with them but i have switched to uk online 14.99 a month unlimited 2 meg so far so good.
    Bitches aint shit!!

ABCMan

snap in every detail except i was on 2meg to start, witing for the bt engineer on the 8th then ukonline i got 3 free months of everything out of them (inc calls) and when i swicth they are giving me all my tv chans + phone + the phone services i have for £11/month to keep my custom

Thanks
    Karma Level

ABC man beware only niggle ive had with uk online is on day it was switched on i was only getting half meg so i phoned up thecnical and had to wait a full 50 minutes dunno if it was a 1 off but might be an idea to test them out .
    Bitches aint shit!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i've switched to ukonline aswell from n** was paying 24.99 for 2mb and 9.99 for my usenet. had one letter off n** saying that i had gone over my limit and they would be watching me in sep. so thought fcuk you and i just carried on as normal lol. in the meantime rang ukonline got a switch on date of the 13th then rang n** and got a cancel date of the 15th .
    funniest thing bout it all was that i got a letter off n** in oct
    saying that because i had again excedded my download limit. they would be cutting me down to 1/2mb with unlimited bandwith for 17.99 b@st@rds.even though my n** was already turned off

then to cap it off (pardon the pun) we get a bill for a full month when we had only had 1 day of service rang em up.and they say its company policy to do this he said "just pay the bill and you will be refunded" i said "well its my fcuking policy not to pay for something i ain't had and they could send me a revised bill"

we ain't gonna pay the bill for 1 day. when we get it we're going to let them keep sending bills and letters then when we had enough. we're going to send the payment for 1 day along with all the letters and a note saying bet it cost you more to send us all these letters than the amount we owe you lmao

i now a happy ukonline customer now get 2mb unlimited and my usenet access (through usenetserver) for the same price i was paying n** for a capped 2mb line

John Keymer m8 even though there isn't a supposed line rental charge if you look at the total charges and compare the loss of channels from sky etc you'll see they got the price of the line rental in there tw@ts
    Last edited by mummikub; 6th November 2005 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, I won't be losing any channels "ahem". I thought about ukonline but it's not available except through BT in my area so works out no better...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by John Keymer
    I'm thinking of switching from pipex to ***, mainly because I'm going over to digital and I can get he 1mb service for £17.99 whereas pipex are charging £23.44 a month for theirs plus I have to pay BT line rental. My plan is to go on NT-L and ditch the BT phoneline - works out I will save about £15 a month (may not seem like a lot, but it fuckin is awhen you're skint!).
    Now, the one thing that is really putting me off is the 3gb cap... I know I can go 2mb with a 30gb cap, however realistically I don't need this - I download far less than I used to, and 1mb is fine for viewing web pages plus the odd download!
    The problem is that my usage is in no pattern at all - some months I'd prolly use about 1gb of traffic and the next I may use 10+...

I was wondering what peoples experiences with capping has been so far... Do they send you a nasty letter if you hit 4gb in the month or will they waive the extra gb etc?

Plus, if I did get 1mb/3gb and decided it wasn't enough then do they have a re-grade fee should I wish to upgrade to 2mb/30gb?

Any help is much appreciated!

John.
    I haven't heard of anyone on the 1Mb service being sent a letter yet. Even some of the heavy downloaders on the 2/3 Mb services seem to be getting away with it, while others are being warned. Those that have been downgraded have been put on a 512kb service with no caps, and their bill reduced to £17.99.

Within the next year all users will be on 10Mb, but with different caps. The only cap that has been mentioned at the moment is 75GB/month for the former 3Mb service.

If you ever want to upgrade your service, you can do it instantly online. You will simply start paying the new amount from that day. There are no additional fees to pay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

From my experience on *** 3mb line, i dont seem to get any letters/hassle from them. id dl about 120-200gb and i get no problems with them. some times its lower than the 120gb but still usually all ok.
    PSN: mattyj172003
    XBOX: Mattsoc

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by fossil
    I haven't heard of anyone on the 1Mb service being sent a letter yet. Even some of the heavy downloaders on the 2/3 Mb services seem to be getting away with it, while others are being warned. Those that have been downgraded have been put on a 512kb service with no caps, and their bill reduced to £17.99.

Within the next year all users will be on 10Mb, but with different caps. The only cap that has been mentioned at the moment is 75GB/month for the former 3Mb service.

If you ever want to upgrade your service, you can do it instantly online. You will simply start paying the new amount from that day. There are no additional fees to pay.
    once they hit you with the 512 speed they will not allow an upgrade for a minimum of 12 months, they have also assured me that the TOP 10mb package will have a 75gb cap

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMan
    once they hit you with the 512 speed they will not allow an upgrade for a minimum of 12 months...
    Yikes! that sounds harsh!

I can understand them extending it longer than the normal 1 month...but a year. :annoyed:

Thanks
    Karma Level

also, is the up speed still only 128k.

ABCMan

also, is the up speed still only 128k.
    no, mine is capped at 6k it seems, guess they want to stop any chance of me running p2p software, and yet they kept asking if i was using any and i kept saying no.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm assuming you mean 60k, lol!

That's fuckin shite - pitty they seem to be under the illusion that everyone just needs downspeed and no upspeed!

ABCMan

I'm assuming you mean 60k, lol!

That's fuckin shite - pitty they seem to be under the illusion that everyone just needs downspeed and no upspeed!
    nope upload is 6kb/sec down is 60kb/sec

Thanks
    Karma Level

ah- thought you were talkin in bits, not bytes...