Close

Thread: The Business

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Business

Couldn't find any thread already dedicated to this so:

Set in the Thatcher era with the cool sounds of the 80's, THE BUSINESS is an action packed gangster flick set in Spain's sun drenched Costa Del crime. Frankie (Danny Dyer), is on the run from the high-rise's of South London to a new life in Malaga with nothing but a tin stuffed full of cash. Having no idea that this delivery of cash to super-suave playboy and ex-con, Charlie (Tamer Hassan), will change his life forever, he soon becomes one of the gang, and finds himself drawn into a flamboyant and violent world of organized crime.
    It's fucking awful. I liked Football Factory, it was a good laugh and like that film Nick Love shows in The Business that he has a flare for decking his actors out in proper clobber. Some of the Fila and Ellesse stuff Danny Dyer was wearing was quality. Other than that the film is pants. The plot is laughable. Their descent from millionaire drug lords to street stick up boys takes about three seconds and the finale makes absolutely no sense and even if it did it was wank anyway. Dyer is terrible, I don't really think he can act as any other character other than the himself who he did with much aplomb in Human Traffic and Football Factory. The other guy, the big bastard who was the Millwall lad from FF is even worse.

2/10 and that's one point each for the clobber and the fit bird who looks a bit like Sophie Ellis Bextor.
    Last edited by Mule; 30th January 2007 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: [2005] The Business

For some reason i really liked this film. The music score was excellent. A watchable gangster film. 7/10

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i was ok, story was utter shite but passed the time, if Moff is any film i have to watch it, he's a tru player! "yeah Peter F**king Andre"

7.5/10
    Last edited by DJAd; 22nd November 2005 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought this was a class film, Excellent soundtrack, as for the Millwall daddy that was Green Street m8, and judging by your hatred of him im guessing he done a good job as a twat then ehh?

Thought this was a film that has been donequite a few times but kept me interested very much so.

8/10....................7/10 without the soundtrack.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

I watched this a while ago and have to admit I enjoyed it. obviously the soundtrack and the clothes they were wearing in it had a lot to do with it. Almost seemed like a Brit version of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City with the whole 80's theme and stuff. Definitely an enjoyable gangster flick.

8/10 for me as well

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jesus, lads, for real? You liked that piece of shit enough to give it 8/10? How do you determine that mark? Football Factory for instance, is a far superior film in every way. Infinitely better but that wouldn't really warrant more than 8/10. Goodfellas? Has to be the benchmark for most people, what would you give that? 9/10 or 10/10. Because by my reckoning were the Business 8/10 you'd have to give Goodfellas 30/10.

as for the Millwall daddy that was Green Street m8, and judging by your hatred of him im guessing he done a good job as a twat then ehh?
    Are you on about Tamer Hassan? Because that was Football Factory, I've not even seen Green Street because it looks and sounds atrocious. A yank in the ICF? Do me a favour.... And what are you on about with the whole 'twat' thing. I couldn't care less what the guy is trying to be, whatever it is he's failing as his performance in the film was utter shite. Much like everybody else in the film.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes m8, the same guy is the daddy of the millwall firm and he's an absolute (unt in both films, it shows he's good coz you hate him in both movies.

If you watch Green Street you would enjoy it m8.

And yes Goodfellas is a 10/10...and Gangster no.1

Thanks
    Karma Level

Geoff Bell is in both The Business and Green Street, I'm not on about him but he was even worse than Dyer and Hassan. I liked Tamer Hassan in Football Factory, he seemed to fit but he wasn't asked on to show as much range as he did in The Business. When he was asked to do that he was lacking which is strange as displaying the adverse effects of coca1ne over-consumption should have been a walk in the park for somebody who's in all probability and from what I hear big into peruvian marching powder.

I'll generally respect other peoples opinions with regards to film but I can be a little condescending sometimes and this is one of those times. The Business was pure trash. Like I said, other than the clobber and a pretty girl I can't think of any positives whatsoever. The story, acting, scripting - all awful. Cockney rhyming slang, Spandau Ballet songs and people calling each other 'mugs' for an hour and a half before the cheeky anti-hero makes his getaway in the obligatory Mark Rentonesque manner does not a good film make.

London gangsters living it up in the Med? Give me Sexy Beast any day of the bastard week. Fuck it, give me Phil Collins and Julie Walters rutting in Acapulco over The Business. It really is that bad.

Thanks
    Karma Level

good film apart from the ending............. 7/10

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with sexy beast mind, but then again anything with winstone in and im up for it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPill
    Cockney rhyming slang and people calling each other 'mugs' for an hour and a half....
    Welshman,

That's what cockney's do mate but the film exagerates the usage.

Spanner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner
    That's what cockney's do mate but the film exagerates the usage.
    Your point being?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your point being?
    My point being is that's how cockney's speak so they're not gonna speak with a Welsh or scouse accent are they Walter?

Spanner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Of course they're not and how they should or shouldn't speak isn't a point of contention, it's just that The Business substitutes a script for lairy cockney slanging matches, gurning and people fronting up to each other and calling each other tobys and suchlike. It's one dimensional, it's boring. Compare and contrast the script from The Business and other quality films like The Long Good Friday, Sexy Beast or The Firm and it should enlighten you as to what I'm trying to get at.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Of course they're not and how they should or shouldn't speak isn't a point of contention, it's just that The Business substitutes a script for lairy cockney slanging matches, gurning and people fronting up to each other and calling each other tobys and suchlike. It's one dimensional, it's boring. Compare and contrast the script from The Business and other quality films like The Long Good Friday, Sexy Beast or The Firm and it should enlighten you as to what I'm trying to get at.
    I am not defending the film Welshman - I was just pointing out a flaw in your critique of the film. So what if they say "mug" every ten words. It's just part of the culture you "mug!".

Spanner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you read my previous post??? There is no flaw in the critique, only a flaw in your understanding of it, englishman.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your boring me you mug! hahaha

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's mutual you toby.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jog on welshman.