Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Smoking weed makes your brain grow

SCIENCE: STUDY SHOWS MARIJUANA INCREASES BRAIN CELL GROWTH

ST. JOHN'S, Nfld -- Supporters of marijuana may finally have an excuse to smoke weed every day. A recent study in the Journal of Clinical Investigation suggests that smoking pot can make the brain grow.

Though most drugs inhibit the growth of new brain cells, injections of a synthetic cannibinoid have had the opposite effect in mice in a study performed at the University of Saskatchewan. Research on how drugs affect the brain has been critical to addiction treatment, particularly research on the hippocampus.

The hippocampus is an area of the brain essential to memory formation. It is unusual because it grows new neurons over a person's lifetime. Researchers believe these new cells help to improve memory and fight depression and mood disorders.

Many drugs --- heroin, coca1ne, and the more common alcohol and nicotine -- inhibit the growth of these new cells. It was thought that marijuana did the same thing, but this new research suggests otherwise.

Neuropsychiatrist Xia Zhang and a team of researchers study how marijuana-like drugs -- known collectively as cannabinoids -- act on the brain.

The team tested the effects of HU-210, a potent synthetic cannabinoid similar to a group of compounds found in marijuana. The synthetic version is about 100 times as powerful as THC, the high-inducing compound loved by recreational users.

The researchers found that rats treated with HU-210 on a regular basis showed neurogenesis -- the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampus. A current hypothesis suggests depression may be triggered when the hippocampus grows insufficient numbers of new brain cells. If true, HU-210 could offer a treatment for such mood disorders by stimulating this growth.

Whether this is true for all cannabinoids remains unclear, as HU-210 is only one of many and the HU-210 in the study is highly purified.

"That does not mean that general use in healthy people is beneficial," said Memorial psychology professor William McKim. "We need to learn if this happens in humans, whether this is useful in healthy people, and whether THC causes it as well."

McKim warns that marijuana disrupts memory and cognition. "These effects can be long-lasting after heavy use," he said. "This makes it difficult to succeed academically if you use it excessively."

"Occasional light use probably does not have very serious consequences. [But] there is some evidence that marijuana smoke might cause cancer."

Still, the positive aspects of marijuana are becoming more plentiful as further research is done. McKim says it's not surprising that THC and compounds like it could have medicinal effects.

"Many have been identified," he said. "It stimulates appetite in people with AIDS, it is an analgesic, and blocks nausea in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. And it treats the symptoms of glaucoma."

The research group's next studies will examine the more unpleasant side of the drug.

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v05/n1728/a04.htm?134 :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Re: Smoking weed makes your brain grow

"ST. JOHN'S, Nfld -- Supporters of marijuana may finally have an excuse to smoke weed every day"

lmao

ABCMan

Default Re: Smoking weed makes your brain grow

it certainly makes your paranoia grow and can certainly aid the growth of any scitzophrenia (sp?) that happens to be present.

certainly not against weed myself but tbh i think some of these "findings" are a little too unrealistic

Thanks
    Karma Level

Always wondered why I looked like John Merrick.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I smoked every day for ages, and it doesnt do you any good at all.

It's all very well smoking a couple times a week, but when it gets to the stage you're doing it every single day, it does more bad than good in my opinion. You get majorly paranoid and start to think everyone around you is talking about you/looking at you, and it makes you a right lazy cunt aswell lol

Not smoked for a while now, more due to the fact i've got nowhere to get any from at the moment but when i do get some again, i'll be doing it in moderation.

Thanks
    Karma Level

"Many have been identified," he said. "It stimulates appetite in people with AIDS...."
    lol... so next time I have the munchies after a spliff Ill be going on a paranoid bender thinking I have AIDS!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm just rolling some brain food now. :whistle

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive been smoking it for years and my short term memory has been terminated forget shit like geting gas, electricity , food etc when nipping out , for some reason i dont forget rizlas and fags thou .
    But hey ho im off back to amsterdam next week after 2 month break to smoke myself to death and visit a whore or two, Yes :thumbs .
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

on a slight off topic, does anyone know someone with dreads that doesn't smoke weed? :s
    Mladen

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mladen
    on a slight off topic, does anyone know someone with dreads that doesn't smoke weed? :s

actually, i do, for real, know someone with dreads who doesnt smoke weed, he doesnt smoke at all, or drink, or even swear!!!!!!

but then i guess i am just unlucky!!!

Laz