Close

Thread: Greasy spoons

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Greasy spoons

Hello kiddos!

I've decided to make a documentary on a little greasy spoon cafe around the corner from my house. It's really funny there proper retro (but not in a cool way) and everybody in there is slightly erm...off kilter in some way. It's really quite disturbing in there but you can't help but have a sort of dark obsession with the place. The first time I went in there I was already scared by this old guy's nicotined stained finger nails (they were so long they were curling round on themselves) when my boyfriend got a mug of tea with his name on the side even though we'd never set foot inside the place before!

Any hoooo, I was doing some research on the British Cafe culture and was wondering if you guys had got any funny/weird stories to share about a greasy spoon near you?

The Tasty Stop, The object of my obsessions.
    Last edited by Shera; 15th November 2005 at 01:49 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Greasy spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Shera
    old guy's nicotined stained finger nails (they were so long they were curling round on themselves)
    Nasty..
    :nono

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is a tiny greasy spoon just around the corner from Euston Road station. Turn left out of the station and left again and it's just on your right. I think that this place is a little cabbies cafe and I think that it is mandatory to smoke as every person in the place had a cigarette in their hands. Anyway, the place is full of cabbies disussing routes and taking the piss out of each other. The week before I went in there I'd read an article in the New Scientist about how London cabbies have an enlarged area to their brain due to the need to have The Knowledge and I was trying to tell some friends about it. They didn't know what I was on about and were scared because I was telling a story about cabbies in a cabbie cafe and they assumed that it was going to be derogatory...

Great little caff though. £3.95 full English in central London cannot be bad ever. Different coloured plate and cup for everyone at our table too.
    'If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?'
    Anon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

when my boyfriend got a mug of tea with his name on the side even though we'd never set foot inside the place before!

obsessions.
    could it be that his name is Tetley

Thanks
    Karma Level

If that is the Cafe I am thinking of (the main street in Bedminster??) I have been in there a few times, and there was some freak in there once who eat/drank a pint glass of around 7 raw eggs straight down, it wasn't like he was even doing it for a bet, he was around 50 and on his own, and then washed it down with a mug of tea:coffee:

If you want a good cafe in Bristol, check out the one around the back of the student union at the end of the road, top food and greasy as you like!

Thanks
    Karma Level

there is a good one on a road called parkway in camden town that is open till 3am thurs to sun and midnight the rest of the time.
    only place i have found where you can get a full roast dinner at 3am or breakfast etc .. and they are licenced too so you can even have beers wine etc
    and another great place is on the corner of bethnal green road and brick lane.
    it is an old traditional jewish place that does salt beef bagels to die for . and is open all night.
    people come from miles just to get their salt beef bagels in there and there is que of cabbies out the door for most of the night to.
    bugger im getting hungry thinking about it.
    NOOOOOOOOOO im not bl**dy driving all the way across london for a bagel.
    ......... if it was just a little closer though....
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving's not for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oooooh a long time ago when I was 18 I used to be a commercial vehicle paint sprayer, there was a greasy spoon on the industrial estate. 3 times a week I'd have a breakfast roll off him which consisted of a massive bread roll with a few slices of bacon, a couple of sausages, fried egg, beans, mushrooms and plum tomatoes, all that for about £1.20 I think it was, set you up for the day. He also used to deliver around the site in an old brown Austin Allegro
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies
    If that is the Cafe I am thinking of (the main street in Bedminster??) I have been in there a few times, and there was some freak in there once who eat/drank a pint glass of around 7 raw eggs straight down, it wasn't like he was even doing it for a bet, he was around 50 and on his own, and then washed it down with a mug of tea:coffee:

If you want a good cafe in Bristol, check out the one around the back of the student union at the end of the road, top food and greasy as you like!
    Heh heh...yeah your right its on North Street about 2 minutes walk away from the Tobacco factory! I'm gonna find out who that egg freak is...I NEED him in my film!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Heh heh...yeah your right its on North Street about 2 minutes walk away from the Tobacco factory! I'm gonna find out who that egg freak is...I NEED him in my film!
    but we dont live around there

...we're gonna get stalkers now
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

i went into one in bilston market and had a gut buster. the old tart brought it over and the worthless doleite sitting opposite me said " thats a fucking mans breakfast" but as he said the B in breakfast, a spit ball left his lip and landed somewere on my plate. i did not see it land.

i felt like ramming my blunt knife through his wind pipe...mouldy old bastard.

but alas i was so hungry that i eat the lot and even mopped up with a piece of crusty bread. so at some point i ate the fuckers saliva..

sorry its not a funny or weird story....its more like tragic.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.proper-british.co.uk/index.php

guys please sign this petition i live in milton keynes and its all brie and grape sandwiches round here it just not right!!!!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steve10574

guys please sign this petition i live in milton keynes and its all brie and grape sandwiches round here it just not right!!!!!!
    If that's what people want then it is right.

What's the point of a petition? Who do they intend on giving it to?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steve10574

Oh god not another wrist band lol
    360 ID: Symate