Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Just a suggestion

I don't really contribute much to this section but enjoy looking at others photo's .. I need to get to grips with my camera a little better before I take the plunge of posting anything worthy of looking at, but I was thinking perhaps when people post pics, they could also add what camera was used to take them?
    I know the regulars probably know what other gear some people are using, but it maybe would be helpful for some people who just pop in here now and again and maybe are thinking of buying a camera.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Just a suggestion

Good idea burner. Think this would be good though you can get the info by checking the pic in most cases it would be nice to not have to bother. Would also be good if people posted how much photoshop had been applied as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is what the Exif is for though included IN the picture I know some might not know this as common knowledge but its in the stickies im sure????

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by bertroot
    Would also be good if people posted how much photoshop had been applied as well.
    would this be aimed towards slarti

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some photos no longer contain the exif data though once it's been messed around with and saved in photoshop. So yeah, sounds like an okay idea could atleast give the camera make /model.

Maybe we could have a format for posting like

Camera:
    Settings (if known):
    Subject:
    Other comments:

So, you tell people what camera you used, the settings if you know them, what the photo is of/where it was taken, and finally any other comments, like any problems you encountered etc then post your photos. Just a thought anyway..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have just started a new thread based on above suggestions, but I hit a snag straight away.
    I'm now shooting in RAW only mode and converting to 49mb tiff files using CaptureOne pro, this is cool for my collection, but to upload to web I resize, watermark and save for web as jpg, somewhere along the line I seemed to have lost 99% of the exif data???

Anyone have any suggestions???

Was hoping to keep all exif data and add my own personal details to it with things such as contact details, copyright etc etc...
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse
    would this be aimed towards slarti
    Not at all but I always apply a little photoshop to my pics to make them look their best before printing and posting. :tongue

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can get a plugin for Firefox that will display the exif for you.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/iexif_firefox.htm

The latest version of Opera also gives very basic exif information by right clicking and selecting image properties.

As has been noted though, using photoshops "Save for Web" strips all the exif data. I don't mind adding a bit of basic camera data at the bottom of the post though.

Dunno about adding PS data as well, sometimes I can't remember what I've done at the end, very annoying when I fail to save it before resizing then can't recreate it. :|

Also not sure how much use aperture data would be, as dslr apertures are useless to a digicam user and vice versa.

I think if people post the camera model, it's enough really. If you want to include more data that's fine, but otherwise it might put people off posting, particularly those who have just got a camera and might not know their f numbers from their ISO.

Wingnut - if you use "save as" instead, it will keep the exif data, although I don't find it as efficient as "save for web".

Thanks
    Karma Level

The exif plugin is handy, cheers.
    As for the save as / save for web thing, if I'm only posting thumbnails then the larger file size of save as shouldn't be a problem...

Cheers
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why not just put your camera model in your signature surely thats easy enough aint it?