Close

Thread: uk online

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question uk online

hello all:thumbs

ive been with ukonline for a few weeks on 8 meg service but am only getting 4 meg due to distance, i have just this min upgraded to 22meg and tehy say i should get 12.5meg. i was wondering if there is anything i can do 2 increase the speeds im getting.

i know ist aminly down to were i live but is there anything me or bt or ukonline can do to boost me up:nowords:

thanks in advance:thumbs

ABCMan

Default Re: uk online

Quote Originally Posted by runner05
    hello all:thumbs

ive been with ukonline for a few weeks on 8 meg service but am only getting 4 meg due to distance, i have just this min upgraded to 22meg and tehy say i should get 12.5meg. i was wondering if there is anything i can do 2 increase the speeds im getting.

i know ist aminly down to were i live but is there anything me or bt or ukonline can do to boost me up:nowords:

move closer to your exchange m8 its the only way

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Upgraded about 5 days ago, i was getting 4mb, paid £70 for the new router(netgeardg834gt) got it yesterday and now i`m plagued with problems and nightmares with customer support.
    Problem 1: Router would not connect to internet, customer support did not have a clue what to do?
    Remedy: looked at netgear forums and dled the latest firmware, it now connects.
    Problem 2: no speed increase, i`m still getting only 4mb
    Problem 3: As i type this i`ve got my phone on loud speaker and waiting for the 3rd customer support teccie to speak to me, i`ve been waiting now for 15 mins.
    Will update later.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeh techsuport is a piss take evertime u ring even at 3am u wait atleast 30mins.

i already have the router in question (bought from the shop) so shouldnt have that problem.

i better get a spead increas atm im only getting 470kbs on newshosting unlimited with my 8 meg line:|

when u signed up what did they say was your exspected speeds mine was 12.5meg

Thanks
    Karma Level

First things first, what speed does your router say you are connected at?

Secondly, just because you have a 22Mbit connection, it doesn't mean you are going to get those sort of speeds (or indeed the speed you have been quoted) all the time, there are way too many factors to take in to account.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Team
    First things first, what speed does your router say you are connected at?

Secondly, just because you have a 22Mbit connection, it doesn't mean you are going to get those sort of speeds (or indeed the speed you have been quoted) all the time, there are way too many factors to take in to account.

upstream = 766kbs
    downstream = 4711kbs

i understand that u will not always max out your conection( even thou on aol i was always maxed out)

to be honest i would be happy with 100kbs from my usernet

ABCMan

yeh techsuport is a piss take evertime u ring even at 3am u wait atleast 30mins.

i already have the router in question (bought from the shop) so shouldnt have that problem.

i better get a spead increas atm im only getting 470kbs on newshosting unlimited with my 8 meg line:|

so lets get this right, you are complaining you are ONLY getting 470kb/s from newshostings unlimited service which technicaly is capped to 260kb/sec anything over that speed is a bonus m8, if you want max speed you need a premium servise and that'll cost ya (or anonynews unlimiteds service but thats capped to 300gb/month before they cut you to 260kbps)

Thanks
    Karma Level

You have managed to sign up with ukonline i am tring to migrate fromplusnet to ukonline. But i enter the postcode and telephone number. It says that it is unable to check it has said that for the last week and a bit. I phoned sale support i got some good answers here are a few.

1)BT blocking the line (there not)
    2)Current ISP blocking the line (there not)
    3)The phone line is not at that address (I was talking to him on the phone for that address)
    4)Today i got told the postcode that i have used for the last 2 years was incorrect (I should phone royal mail to check my postcode was correct)

I would sign up with another ISP but there are no other providers with 22mb being offered.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

upstream = 766kbs
    downstream = 4711kbs

i understand that u will not always max out your conection( even thou on aol i was always maxed out)

to be honest i would be happy with 100kbs from my usernet
    Here is what my connection states on the router page!
    Modem
    ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018d.d15h
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 5054 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 766 kbps
    VPI 0
    VCI 38

First off my connection has been upgraded to 22mb, i was on 8mb before but i got between 4-5mb(not bad)
    Went to upgrade to 22mb from 8mb and was told i had to buy a new router(which i did)
    Still only getting the same service and speed as i did before(Ukonline says i should be getting about 15mb sec)
    I wouldn`t of paid 80 quid for a new router to be on the same speed as before :|
    Couldn`t get through to customer support the last time(battery went dead on the cordless house phone)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find my to max out my 8meg connection I have to have between 4 and 8 threads open with grabit to newshosting, one thread will give me around 200-400k/s although it does vary through the da.
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use Usnext, o.k i have to pay but i get a constant 480 ish dl speed and thats on a 4 something mb connection.

Thanks
    Karma Level

downstream = 4711kbs
    That is a 4Mbit connection

Thanks
    Karma Level

just a nice little figure but only around 2% of UK will actually get a decent speed from ADSL2+ ;P

been on the 24MBit trial and used both ZyXEL test router and got the netgear for free in post today and both kick me off the ent every 1-2 hours and only sync at 11-13MBit but then the phone wiring in this place is shit and I'm not that close to the exchange :/ just remember that the other 98% of the UK won't get anywhere near 10+(cable covers a few areas) so you are lucky ;P
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ukonline customer support sucks, still can`t get through, reminds me of Bulldog!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive just dropped to under 4meg:annoyed:

my internet keeps stop responding but a rebbot of the router seems 2 fix it, is this what your getting? seems 2 be mainly at night.

ill wait till im upgraded to 22meg and see how my sppeds are.

hope its not the same for online gaming the main reason i got this was to go with my xbox 360:tongue

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea mines dropped too!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hear about the troubles everyone is experiencing with UK ONLINE

Yesterday I cancelled my current 1mb service with FAST24 who I must say are excellent and respond very quickly to technicial querys so I could take up the ADSL2 22mb from UK ONLINE

This morning I have read several posts advising me a) they are another bulldog b) loads of problems c) extremely poor customer services due to lack of knowledge of call handlers and d) ppl regretting they had changed ISP to sign up with them

I was speaking to "dell boy" from UK ONLINE customer service yesterday who advised me to first sign up to their 8mb service and after 1 month upgrade to their 22mb so I don't have to pay the £25 connection fee from the offset.

However after seeing all your threads I am very reluctant and hesitant to commit to them. Although I cancelled my service with Fast24 I have'nt actually signed on the dotted line with UK ONLINE.

What do you think? Do you think I should commit? Please help

Thanks in advance for any responses I recieve

Cheers!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When i signed up for thier 8meg service the only problem i had was it took 2 months for them to actualy get me connected, they said i had the service but i couldn`t connect to the internet and nobody seemed to know what to do.When i did get connected i did`nt experiance any problems, i was more than happy getting over 4meg a second with no caps.
    I`m peed off now because they said i could upgrade and said i would get at least 8meg on thier 22meg srvice but i would have to fork out £79 for a new router.This i was happy to do, but when it came to it the router wouldn`t connect and again the support staff didn`t have a clue what was up, so after 2 hours on the phones i put my old router back on and found the solution for myself on the Netgear forums.
    Then i found out i couldnt get 8meg but exactly or a bit less than i was getting before, due to me being 3km from my exchange.
    I`ve now been trying to get in touch with them(in vien,can`t get through) to take my Netgear router back and refund my money, more blinkin problems.
    Hope you have better luck.

ABCMan

mine is supposed to be provisioned today, my modem light is synching perfectly but i cant connect to squat, a quick call to customer services revealed that its not showing as provisioned at their end even though i have synch, tech support (about 10 mins wait) went well above and beyond in trying to help even to the point of playing man in the middle with alcatel trying to get things sorted out.

ok so i still have no connection but i've got to praise them for trying

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've gone live with UKOnline tonight 5 days early - Plusnet can naff off now, thank God.
    360 Gamertag: crazyai
    PSN Gamertag: psxgalaxy
    IM me at pushme.to