<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Woman attacks 'cruel' deportation

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Mr Peterson has lived in the UK for eight years

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA --><!-- S SF -->A woman whose South African partner was deported two days before Christmas says the Home Office has been "cruel".
Krista Barber, from Norwich, is waiting to hear from Burl Petersen, 31, who was deported after eight years in the UK.
The Home Office says it cannot comment on individual cases but the Immigration Service said there were irregularities in Mr Petersen's immigration papers.
Miss Barber, 23, said the couple, who have an eight-month-old daughter, were separated because of a "technicality". <!-- E SF -->
'More complex reason'
"The only reason we've been given is that he filled an application form in asking to stay three days late," she said.
<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg> I hope whichever official made the decision chokes on it over Christmas

Krista Barber

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->
"We've also heard that there is a problem because he split up from his wife five years ago but they've never divorced.
"It seems cruel to separate him from me and his daughter on technicalities like that. We keep thinking there must be a more complex reason but that's all we've been told."
Miss Barber said she was "heartbroken" by the news and said the Immigration Service had not even contacted her to confirm his deportation.
She said Mr Petersen had telephoned her to say goodbye a couple of hours before boarding an 8.05pm flight to Johannesburg.
"They didn't even tell me that he actually left the country last night. They didn't even have the courtesy to give me a ring.
"I think they're cruel to deport him two days before Christmas," she said.
Reprieve attempt
"I hope whichever official made the decision chokes on it over Christmas."
Miss Barber's MP Dr Ian Gibson said he was "disgusted" at the handling of the case.
"It is absolutely disgusting for them to do this at Christmas," said Dr Gibson.
Lawyers for Mr Peterson had been desperately trying to obtain a reprieve.
But his solicitor Olu Ogonnowo said an application for a High Court injunction had to be discontinued because of technical issues.
A Home Office spokeswoman said: "We would not comment on individual cases.
"But the immigration rules make it quite clear that to remain in this country you have to meet a number of criteria, one of which is that you have to have at least 10 years lawful residence in the UK or 14 years continuous residence. "You have to meet these conditions to get indefinite leave to remain."<!-- E BO -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4556532.stm