Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Netgear WGR614v2 Wireless Router problem

Hi all,

When playing on World of Warcraft (especially when in Ironforge for those RPG'ers) or downloading a large amount of data (torrents etc) my router is becoming unstable and locking up the internet connection for the whole house - 2 wireless laptops and a desktop.

I've tried the firmware upgrades to no avail, I'm presuming due to the high data load there is an overheating issue. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, or maybe overcome it? I'm close to butchering the router and adding a cooling fan directly onto the casing, or maybe dangling the circuit board out of the bedroom window for a bit. Any suggestions bar buying better hardware are welcome.

*edit*

I've altered the MTU to 1500 to see if it made any difference, and disabled the SPI firewall - no difference.
    Last edited by BFG; 3rd January 2006 at 02:17 AM.

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Netgear WGR614v2 Wireless Router problem

When my son downloads torrents over the wireless from upstairs he stops everyone else from connecting, If I download torrents on my computer which is not wireless but straight into the router/hub we don't get this problem.

I had just put it down to the router being a bit out of date now Linksys
    w54g . The setup is my main computer and sat dbox to the router/hub, my laptop wireless, upstairs my son has a wireless bridge (hope thats correct terminology) with a 16 port switch (it was cheap), on this he has xbox, ps2 and 2 desktop computers. there are also another 2 computers upstairs my wife wireless laptop and my daughters wireless desktop.

The lockouts don't seem to affect the computer upstairs that is downloading the torrents, I just took it to be that the wireless needed to be upgraded to the new speeds.

I would be interested if there is an easy fix for this.

Have Fun

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Netgear WGR614v2 Wireless Router problem

I'm not sure that your router problems are created by overheating, but more to do with the vast reception and, more importantly, transmission of data. The upload ratio to download can be very dramatic. I, myself, use a Netgear wgt624 router and in the early days, I thought this was the dogs danglies, until I learnt that I had to restrict my upload speed inorder to give my family's other 2 pcs some bandwidth.