Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default fast upload speeds

any advice or recommendations for ISPs (for business) that offer high upload speeds for servers and file hosting?

i'm thinking leased ADSL lines are gonna be the answer?

Thanks in advance,
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: fast upload speeds

I think the most you're going to get from ADSL is 768 Kbps.

You really need to be looking at SDSL for fast upload speeds, although it is a lot more expensive than ADSL.

Here's a few random providers, so you can see the prices involved.

http://www.biscit.net/sdsl.html
    http://www.zenbroadband.com/sdsl.aspx
    http://www.newnet.co.uk/sdsl/

Thanks
    Karma Level

We've just signed up for SDSL with Zen on their new LLU service, 1mb/1mb - 2:1 contention for £149 +vat a month. Only available on the Rochdale exchange at the moment though with Zen........

Plus, if it's for business purposes it's worth remembering that SDSL should have a SLA written into the contract which will give you some peace of mind.

Thanks
    Karma Level

SLA = some sort of guarenteed service agreement I assume, which would be a great thing to have added in, especially if it was a great service anyway.

How is the line going CJ, any problems or is it going smoothly?

I am looking into having a service where large files (200MB - 2GB) can be on a local file server or uploaded to webspace. I know I need a high upload speed either way but if anyone's randomly reading this and has any suggestions of how I can build a system which deals with this i'd be so grateful.

the mian problem is cost. The people i'm working for want to stop courioring large files around and want to have it online in some form. However, they dont want it to take longer to upload the file (currently on a 30kb up business cable line) than to deliver it by hand. But they also dont want to pay *much* money for it either...hard to find a comprimise as they'll pay *something* for it....:\

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by shangrula
    SLA = some sort of guarenteed service agreement I assume, which would be a great thing to have added in, especially if it was a great service anyway.

How is the line going CJ, any problems or is it going smoothly?

I am looking into having a service where large files (200MB - 2GB) can be on a local file server or uploaded to webspace. I know I need a high upload speed either way but if anyone's randomly reading this and has any suggestions of how I can build a system which deals with this i'd be so grateful.

the mian problem is cost. The people i'm working for want to stop courioring large files around and want to have it online in some form. However, they dont want it to take longer to upload the file (currently on a 30kb up business cable line) than to deliver it by hand. But they also dont want to pay *much* money for it either...hard to find a comprimise as they'll pay *something* for it....:\
    The line has only just been activated so I've no news on reliability etc as yet. We've pencillied in this weekend to make the switch over to the new server and the new connection so providing there's no hiccups (pah, yeah right) we should go live sometime sunday night/monday morning.

Regarding the SLA, we've got a 24hr turn around on faults written into the contract or they start paying compo, although it's not great as any loss of service for a period of 24hrs would still hit us pretty hard. But it's better than the 2 line ADSL round-robin dns setup which we're using at the moment. We're keeping the 2 ADSL lines as backup and also for office net access so I think we'll be ok. I'll let you know how we get on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

SLA = Service Level Agreement

As for the files being upped instead of couriered have you not tried IBMs IES? Worth a look though I hate the service.

Thanks
    Karma Level

CJ, the line you have is to host your e-commerce or is it for more than websites? Sorry to hammer u with Q's, at least i'm not ringing ya about it though

bert - what's IES please mate? I've searched IBM but got nothing concrete back. Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

CJ, the line you have is to host your e-commerce or is it for more than websites? Sorry to hammer u with Q's, at least i'm not ringing ya about it though
    It will be purely a connection for our webserver, at the moment we have 2 ADSL 256k upstreams handling 2 VPN connections, 2 e-commerce sites and exchange server. When we've done this weekend the websites will have their own dedicated 1mb upstream and the exchange and vpn will stay on ADSL.

Thanks
    Karma Level

bert - what's IES please mate? I've searched IBM but got nothing concrete back. Thanks
    https://www.gxsolc.com/public/EDI/us.../ie/index.html

We use it a great deal at work for sharing stuff with other suppliers to our customer in the multi supplier model that we operate within. Worth a look at even though it is run by the demon IBM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ADSL2 offers a significant increase on upload speeds, but quite limited at the mo, dunno if you wanna look into that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

max up for adsl2+ atm is Be Unlimited offering 1.3Mbit up and thats about the max you will be able to do on ADSL2+ tbh
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

yup, thats what i've got on order, and cant wait for it!