Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: IS CB DEAD ????? or SSB ACTIVE

Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by schematic View Post
    Still got a bit of equipment here but hardly ever switch it on (kenwood TS-450SAT & Yaesu-FT-847 with matching FC-20 ATU),I agree they should have left the Amatuer exam as it was, why fix something thats not broken.

I still remember doing my 12wpm test as if it were yesterday, seem to remember sitting in the same room as a certain person whos nerve went and couldnt do the test, His name escapes me now
    I’m alive and kicking yeh baby.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi all the cb is dead round yorkshire nowerdays i used to have unidens audio lines and then up graded to cobras jacksons and stalkers.etc then whent on to ham mainly 2meters and got fed up and sold the lot. but the other day i found one of mi old ssb radios out that i found stuffed away and made a antenna out of some coax and turned it on and i flick thru some channels a found 1 person broadcasting out of 200 or so channels. it must be dead. but loved the old days spending hrs on end trying to talk some one in usa or oz. i think my call sighn was wdc.600 (40 uk was mystic muff diver )

ho happydayz
    Last edited by mattyboy; 8th October 2007 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its pretty dead around liverpool i think there is only about 30 or so people on..

I have just bought myself a superstar 3900 for my house with an antrom 99 .. also a midland 98 plus for my car..

I remember back in the day when you could not even find a channel to talk on it was that busy.

The internet has since killed it i sold up 8 years ago when i got my first pc and i think everyone else did the same.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got my rig out about 3 years ago, using a silver rod aerial mounted on a 22 feet pole and over a week got no one, heard no one. The 70's and 80's was great on AM, treasure hunts etc, local meets great. The FM was the start of the end. A lot of CB'ers said that they would not change but they did and then the reception was limited to distance and was not as good, then over the years it died, I don't blame internet or mobiles but the government for changing the frequency to FM and introducing a license.
    If @ 1st U don't succeed try and try again then give up :nono

Thanks
    Karma Level

wasnt wdc a group round the wakefield area, if i remember the guy in charge emigrated to s.africa...regards from an old Maik Uniform member....73s

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,
    I stumbled across some interesting stuff a few weeks ago that I was never aware of as a young CB'er. Just type "freebanding" into Google.
    I got out my old Ham multimode as well (1 inch of dust on it) but I need to get a decent twig up. I was sorely tempted by the Superstar 3900 which is a 360 FM copy and only around £125 but I think I'll wait and see if the old box picks up anything.

It's odd I can connect to anywhere in the world with Internet on my mobile fone these days but I still want to have another crack at the old CB.

Regards Scruff,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Even though the internet has taken over the social aspect of long distance communication it cannot convey emotion like talking to someone over the CB. You can stuff your internet forum LOL, PMSL and IMHO up your arse as there is nothing as satisfying as verbally slapping down some gimp that thinks he is the Worlds biggest air wave comedian. All the best memory's of my teenage years came from the cb and nearly all of my oldest friends I met off there and if I could go back I wouldn't hesitate for one minute. Xbox live I suppose is the closest thing to the CB now but you just don't get the same aesthetic and visual buzz like holding down the button on a big plastic microphone while watching the needle moving up and down inside a dimly backlit signal meter. I hope one day CB will get another crack at the whip as its still one of the cheapest forms of communication and is still very useful today. I still occasionally get out my Audioline 340, Zetagi B150, Super modulator and bang them in the car and although its not as rammed as yesteryear there is always someone on to wally on

BTW in regards to the Amstrad 901 being a bleed over box there were two versions; 1 was made in Taiwan and the other in Japan. The former I believe was the better one and could only be identified from the serial number plate and was alot better at handling bleedover than the Japanese version. I probably got them the wrong way round as the last time I accessed this brain information was over 20 years ago and I can't find anything online to back up my claims but true CBers will know what im talking about

Thanks
    Karma Level

hubby remembers his 1st rig from like the 80's harrier cb with a 150w burner on a super silver pole (or sommat like that).

he reckons the old sh1t ain't like it was :~(

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234