Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info This isn't about Sony versus Microsoft. This is about Sony versus Toshiba

The theory goes that Sony's play is not for the next generation games market at all. Microsoft's Xbox 360 is no more than an irritating diversion. The big play is for the high definition DVD market, and in this context, an early launch, with small hardware numbers and threadbare games software support might just be a good move.

This play potentially represents Sony's most important move in its entire history. Imagine; a royalty for Sony on every single DVD sold between 2006 and 2012 or thereabouts. No wonder Bill Gates hates Blu-ray.

The next generation DVD market is much, much bigger than the next generation games market. Owning the high definition DVD platform through Blu-Ray is Sony's number one priority for the next two years. Coming first in the next generation games market tags along for the ride.

The enemy is Toshiba

This spring, Toshiba will launch HD-DVD. Small numbers of ultra-high early adopters will be asked to pay up to $800 for the machine. But they will be nervous about making that commitment, if they see that Blu-ray is already available at a lower price, backed by Sony, albeit in savagely small numbers.

Here is where the first scuffles over the future of home entertainment will take place. It's important to draw first blood.

That's reason one. Reason two is Hollywood. This fall, the studios will be making a call on which formats to back. If Sony says, "We're launching PS3 at Thanksgiving with a million units," Hollywood will say, "Okay, great."

But Sony might be in a position to say, "We launched PS3 earlier this year, and they're still lining up around the block. We've sold 300,000 units, and we're now shifting 30,000 a week. We plan to sell another million over the holidays. Blu-ray is here." Many of the studios have made verbal commitments to Blu-ray, but that's a long way short of backing the platform with the high definition DVD versions of its summer movies.

Hollywood does not want a split format. It will do as much as it can to avoid this scenario. What it needs to see are numbers.

Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities says, "A lot of people in the games media are missing the picture here. This isn't about Sony versus Microsoft. This is about Sony versus Toshiba. Everything Sony does regarding PlayStation 3 is colored by that fact."

The cultural card

There are those who argue that Sony would never launch in America before Japan, for cultural reasons. They may be right. But they would never have predicted a Welshman at the head of Sony. And Sony is ultimately going to do what's right for its business.

Where is the DVD market of the future. In Japan? No. It's in America. That's where the platform war will be won or lost.

Then there's the price. Pachter again, "Sony can lose $100 per unit for the first 20 million units, and it still makes a lot of sense. Let's say that costs $2 billion. In a few years, the royalties from high definition DVDs could be as high as $2 billion every year."

And if Sony's main concern is the high def DVD market, rather than Xbox 360, a slightly higher price might be bearable. Put it this way; if you're a games-platform-agnostic high-def TV owner in 2006, or 2007, PlayStation 3 looks like a bargain, even at $500.

But this is the bottom line

All of this is speculation. We have no idea what Sony is really up to. Sony has been super-tight-lipped about its plans. But there's a lot of received wisdom out there that ought to be challenged. Sony's real platform wars are with Toshiba; not Microsoft.

Sony has been locked tight in its trenches these past few months. Maybe it's been sitting quietly, waiting for everything to fall into place. Or maybe, its sappers have been busily digging a bloody great hole underneath all of us

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: This isn't about Sony versus Microsoft. This is about Sony versus Toshiba

YEs mate, this is very true. It's a stunt for the next media rather than the next gen console in this war.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: This isn't about Sony versus Microsoft. This is about Sony versus Toshiba

put that way it makes sense, never thought of it like that

Thanks
    Karma Level

If/when I buy a nextgen movie player (HDDVD, BR, EFD etc) I will not want it to be integrated with my console.

I'll want a balls-to-the-wall SA player. I know for a lot of people a console will be a cheaper option but when people start using LCDs and watching HD video I think the difference in quality will become more apparant.

Just look at the PS2 and XBox DVD playback quality. Stick on something like the opening sequence of Toy Story 2 and watch those consoles struggle giving smooth gradients.

I know, I know... a lot of people will not care about these kind of issues but I suspect the people that will be adopting nextgen video this year for their homes will be people that would want to spend the extra cash and get a much more quality piece of kit than a high def player thats had to have their components quality suffer to keep the price down.

Just my 2 cents
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB
    I know, I know... a lot of people will not care about these kind of issues but I suspect the people that will be adopting nextgen video this year for their homes will be people that would want to spend the extra cash and get a much more quality piece of kit than a high def player thats had to have their components quality suffer to keep the price down.
    those arent the people that count. no one cares about early adopters, it rests in the hands of the mass market.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good post, the fact remains its a Sony/ Microsoft war in the gaming arena and Sony/ Toshiba war in the media area. All i know is Sony has its work cut out to beat these two.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If/when I buy a nextgen movie player (HDDVD, BR, EFD etc) I will not want it to be integrated with my console.

I'll want a balls-to-the-wall SA player. I know for a lot of people a console will be a cheaper option but when people start using LCDs and watching HD video I think the difference in quality will become more apparant.

Just look at the PS2 and XBox DVD playback quality. Stick on something like the opening sequence of Toy Story 2 and watch those consoles struggle giving smooth gradients.

Just my 2 cents
    Maybe but Sony's advantage will be having a BR player in everyones house who buys a PS3, and given the sales of the PSX & PS2 then that is a lot of BR players.

As Marcode said, some people don't give a damn on the quality difference between a PS2 and a £1000 DVD player (myself included) and if they do, the chances are that they will buy an expensive BR player at a later date as they have probably bought some BR vids for watching on their PS3.

The PS2 may not be very good quality wise for watching DVDs but I bet you they sold more because of it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just sat here and typed a 2000+ word reply Deleted it and decided to say - lets revisit this once you can buy the damned things.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just sat here and typed a 2000+ word reply Deleted it and decided to say - lets revisit this once you can buy the damned things.

Agreed we can debate and debate but lets wait until the systems are released

Thanks
    Karma Level

awaiting the hardware to come out is probably a good idea- but lets not forget competition is a good good goooood thing - more players mean more ideas, blu ray and HD dvd sounds great but i cant wait to whats comes next!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Working for Sony we got the new products book in a couple of days ago, and in it was a new desktop computer that they are releasing with a Blu-ray RW in it. Looks like the war is beginning