Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Stress..is it an illness?

Further to the post in the News section on incapacity claiming, I heard today that stress is classed as an illness that you can claim on. Do you believe it should be classed as such? Personally, I think anyone whose health/well-being are affected by stress are in the wrong job (Rather, were in the wrong job). Surely they should personally look at their life and re-organise it such that stress isn't such a factor if they can't deal with it, not give up work all together and just claim on the system.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Stress..is it an illness?

I tend to agree that stress in the workplace can often mean that somebody is in the wrong kind of job.
    No matter how switched on or intellegent somebody is, it doenst prepare them for certain work situations that demand that can create stress.
    Some people thrive in environments that cause others to be stressed, so it is more of an actual attribute of a persons ability to cope with stressful situations.
    However there are other times where peoples jobs are not particualry stressful by nature, but a colleague or supervisor/manager can create stress by the way they go about their job.

One guy who once worked at my work, (since been sacked for gross misconduct) had to be the most stressed out guy I've ever met.
    I could actually start to feel slightly stressed out just being in meetings with him or dealing with him, his stress was so obvious it was almost contagious.

Annoyingly there are others who jump on the stress bandwagon and claim stress to have a bit of time off that is easy to get a doctors note for.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Stress..is it an illness?

I lost my job through no fault of my own a few months ago, this is turn brought on a serious case of stress related anxiety attacks. Went to see my doctor, who was fantatic, he didn't want to sign me off, didn't want to put me on drugs or send me to therapy, but simply told me to get my arse out of the house for as long as possible each day and do something that made me happy and took my mind off the situation. Three weeks of surfing, photography and mountain biking and I was better than ever...
    I'm now working again and happier than ever. Actually positively enjoying life and work, all because of the right doctor and the right advice..

There are some genuine cases of stress out there, but I'd hazard a guess that most cases are hypo's milking the system for all it's worth..
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site