Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Any electricians here?

I have recently done a fair bit of rewiring to the mains circuit for my gaff, (halogen downlighters, extra spurs, ethernet points etc) and I know that there are new regulations regarding what you can do and getting it checked and certified etc, question is, if I sell my house, how can the regulators check to see what has been done? (ie. is it compulsory that someone checks to see if anything has been modified) and can you get away with saying that "it was like this when I moved in"??
    All the wiring is safe and using proper cables etc, but I have not got anything formal to say that it is safe....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any electricians here?

I'd get the new work certified if I were you, because if anything goes wrong (a fire for example) then that will be the only excuse your insurance company needs not to pay out.

Claiming "it was like this when we moved in" will be very easy to disprove.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Part P of the building regs say that any work carried out should be tested by a building contractor or NICEIC registered tester.

If you are planning to extend or alter the electrical installation in your home, such as providing extra sockets in the kitchen, or adding new ceiling lights, don't attempt it yourself. Ensure you employ a competent electrician.

The Government introduced a new law in January, which demands that most electrical work in UK households is only carried out by a ‘competent' person. Up to now, the electrical industry has maintained relatively high safety standards, aided by voluntary controls such as those practiced by NICEIC Approved Contractors. But with an increasing use and variety of electrical equipment and appliances in our homes, it is not surprising that we are exposed to an increased risk of electric shock and fires caused by faulty electrical installations.

In fact, according to Government statistics, every year 5 deaths and over 500 injuries are caused by faulty electrical installations in the home. Added to this, 12,500 fires caused by electrical faults, resulting in 25 deaths and 590 injuries every year, so it is not difficult to see why an electrical safety law needs to be enforced.

"The changes to the law are welcomed by NICEIC", says Director General, Jim Speirs. "Safe electrics in the home can be the difference between life and death for you and your family, but they are often overlooked in the long to-do list when buying, renovating or converting a house."

The NICEIC carries out regular assessments of its registered electrical contractors to ensure that they are and continue to be ‘competent' to carry out electrical installations. By looking at this website, you have already made a conscious effort to use a ‘competent' electrician. But what you now need to do is gain a better understanding of how the new law affects you, your friends and family.

What is the electrical safety law?

Electrical safety requirements have been included in a new Part P of the Building Regulations. The Building Regulations deal with the health and safety of people in and around buildings by providing functional requirements for building design and construction.

The law states that anyone carrying out fixed electrical installations in households in England and Wales must ensure that electrical installations are:

- Designed and installed to afford appropriate protection against mechanical and thermal damage, and so that they do not present electric shock and fire hazards to people

- Suitably inspected and tested to verify that they meet the relevant equipment and installation standards

What is a fixed electrical installation?

Many improvements carried out in the home include some form of fixed electrical installation. For example, a new kitchen may require your electrician to install additional sockets, extra lighting and appliances. A fixed installation is the wiring and appliances that are fixed to the building, such as sockets, switches, consumer units (fuse boxes) and ceiling fittings.

Who is responsible for ensuring that the electrical work carried out in my home meets safety requirements?

You are. It will be a legal requirement for homeowners and landlords to be able to prove that all fixed electrical installations and alteration work have been carried out and certified by a competent person. That is, by an electrician registered with a Government approved body such as the NICEIC.

How will I benefit from the electrical safety law?

You can expect to have safer, better quality electrical installation work because all electrical contractors will be working to BS 7671, the national safety standard. You will also be further protected against unsafe work as all electrical contractors are now required to offer their customers the option of additional protection through an insurance-backed warranty. Furthermore, if you use an NICEIC electrical contractor, you will benefit from the Complaints Resolution scheme.

For more information, download the ODPM's consumer leaflet: www.odpm.gov.uk/electricalsafety

Links for NICEIC

http://www.niceic.org.uk/
    FC United Of Manchester

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/madmoose2/ourbanner.jpg[/IMG]

LOVE United - HATE Glazer

[url]www.fc-utd.co.uk[/url]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unless you just moved in can you not say you done the work last year before the new regulations came in? (or was it Jan 05 when the regs came in), but you see my point .
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You say the wiring is safe and all the proper cables are used etc . How do you know ? You will need the whole installation testing via a "Periodic Inspection Report" which will check ( but not limited to ) earth fault loop impedance and insullation resistance. Your protective devices will need checking ( type 1 , type 2 , type B etc ) to make sure that the additional work you have undertaken complies with the correct disconnection times stated in BS 7671 : New - Amendment No.2 : 2004.
    Hopefully you havent "opened a can of worms" but dont be surprised if the proffessional goes through your installation with a fine toothed comb looking for "illegal wiring".
    You may think its a good idea doing the work yourself to save money , but unless you is up on all the latest regulations leave it to us proffessionals as "we know what we are doing".
    Where abouts you live ? I could do a pre-inspection report and try and point you in the right direction before a full PIR is undertaken.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin
    Unless you just moved in can you not say you done the work last year before the new regulations came in? (or was it Jan 05 when the regs came in), but you see my point .
    It was 01/01/05 when the new regs came in. An easy way to spot new installations are the new core colours of the cable. Flat twin and earth cores are now brown and blue as as opposed to the old black and red cores... but the new cable was available to buy before 01/01/05 so if you did say it was installed before the the new regs came in I don't see what could be done to you.

In the long run everyone will eventually have to have there house inspected to sell their house as it will be part of the Sellers Pack scheme that the goverment are pushing to introduce.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kracken
    You say the wiring is safe and all the proper cables are used etc . How do you know ? You will need the whole installation testing via a "Periodic Inspection Report" which will check ( but not limited to ) earth fault loop impedance and insullation resistance. Your protective devices will need checking ( type 1 , type 2 , type B etc ) to make sure that the additional work you have undertaken complies with the correct disconnection times stated in BS 7671 : New - Amendment No.2 : 2004.
    Hopefully you havent "opened a can of worms" but dont be surprised if the proffessional goes through your installation with a fine toothed comb looking for "illegal wiring".
    You may think its a good idea doing the work yourself to save money , but unless you is up on all the latest regulations leave it to us proffessionals as "we know what we are doing".
    Where abouts you live ? I could do a pre-inspection report and try and point you in the right direction before a full PIR is undertaken.
    Well....I have been doing electical/electronics since year dot, and although I am not an electrician by trade, I do know what I am doing! It was all megger tested etc, and I also had a mate help me with parts of it who is an electrician, but he could not certify it as he would have to go through his company who wanted £££ to do it. I was more asking with regards to the checking of these sort of jobs, and how they enforce it. All the cable used is old colours cable so fingers crossed! Cheers for the replies guys

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chubblies
    and I also had a mate help me with parts of it who is an electrician
    I hope your not talking about Dave?? the same "Electrician" who managed to inorrectly wire up the door bell at one of my dads houses :/

Anyway.. If your that worried about your wiring speak to phil as he has the kit and qualifications for this. Sure he would help you out *cough* print you a certificate *cough*

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gimp
    I hope your not talking about Dave?? the same "Electrician" who managed to inorrectly wire up the door bell at one of my dads houses :/

Anyway.. If your that worried about your wiring speak to phil as he has the kit and qualifications for this. Sure he would help you out *cough* print you a certificate *cough*
    Lol, yeah Dave did it! Did not realise Phil was qualified sparky, I will bear that in mind- I thought he was only qualified in teleworst and xboxes

Thanks
    Karma Level

about time they made it statutary, electrics is not summit to be fucked wid
    FC United Of Manchester

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

good luck mate , i hope it all turns out well for you

although bs7671 is non-statutory , it is the minimum requirement required in a court of law

Thanks
    Karma Level

FC United Of Manchester

Thanks
    Karma Level

With what you have listed it does not need officially testing anyway.

I have recently done a fair bit of rewiring to the mains circuit for my gaff, (halogen downlighters, extra spurs, ethernet points etc)

Q5: What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses

Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact(a)

Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components(b)

Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations(c)

Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation(d) and consists of:

Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit(e)

Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit(e)

Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding(f)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzo
    With what you have listed it does not need officially testing anyway.
    Going by that, I am in the clear then, cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Part P is just a con, it is nothing to do with safety it is to do with trying to tax us in a new way, I believe that an MP's daughter was killed in an accident (she drilled through a cable) and it has all gone from there, the installation in question though was electrically sound when investigated.

A person who has no knowledge of electrical installations can legally change switches, sockets and light fittings, yet in my experience this is one of the more dangerous practices along with the "oh I have change a socket I am know a spark brigade" - how can this be about safety?

I am qualified part P during the day but cant certify any work even at home after working hours unless I want to spend £800.00 on getting part P certified, your local building inspectors should in theory be able to certify it for you, but most councils are lagging behind and from what i have read they will not do a test in any way shape or form they may ask to see any test sheets and check that the building regs are upheld by this it comes down to switch / socket heights and nothing really that would have a bearing on electrical safety.

From what you have listed spurs are not subject to part P unless they are in the garden / kitchen / bathroom (special locations), if you have installed low voltage Halogen down-lighters then it is a reg to use smoke hoods and to be honest I wouldn't install them without, these can be fitted quite easily and are about £3 / £4 each for local wholesalers.
    Last edited by syscon; 18th March 2006 at 06:29 PM.