Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Capoeira- anyone tried this?

Take a look at this thread if you dont already know what Capoeira is http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...light=Capoeira

Has anyone on here tried this at all? it looks hard as fook http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9...ics.html#ginga and as i know there isnt a lot of places that teach it.

The gym that i go too is having a Capoeira demonstration next tuesday and then classes start the wednesday after that, which im gonna attend as this style of Martial Arts/Game/Dance has always interested me.

If anyone (more for the local peeps) is interesting in coming along for the Demo its at

21st century Leisure Gym
    11 Davenport Gym
    Burslem
    S-O-T
    Staffs
    ST6 4LJ
    Tuesday 7.30pm March 7th
    "Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope."
    > > > George Burns

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Capoeira- anyone tried this?

not tried it myself but i did think about it for a while as it looks more fun than some of the training classes i do, just not sure that i have that sort of flexability anymore...used to watch folk in one of our local parks..see them quite a lot in the summer months bustin a move or four...very cool to watch
    " The Funk Keeps You Strong - The Jazz Makes You Wise "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been thinking about this, there seems to be loads of places here in Finland where you can join a course, I just don't think I'm fit enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fat or anything like that, but doing those kind of handstands and roundkicks...I can't see my body doing it.

Kind regards,

Stephen Hawking

(OK the sig is a joke, other than that I'm being honest. When I was in Rio, two 9 year old kids tried to rob us, they were showing off their capoeira skills, if they were any bigger I might have taken them seriously, but 4 feet doesn't really cut it.)
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd love to do this. Started practicing cartwheels after watching Only the Strong a couple of years ago, but would love to do proper Capoeira.

Saw a couple of posters when I was in Helsinki last year as well... Bloody lucky Finns!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    HE went home in a fuckin ambulance
    R.I.H Saddam

Thanks
    Karma Level

i went for a go when they tried it at a local school but being fat an scared id look like a fat twat trying to break dance i thought better of it and asked for directions to the petrol station and left

cas

Thanks
    Karma Level

I started this a couple of months back and its so much fun! Its absolutely knackering though, really demanding on the legs as you never stand still. The warm up is by far the most important part as the first time i went, i didn't warm up well enough and could barely walk for 3 days. You constantly move side to side in whats called a Jenga and lots of crouching and spins. I'm still on the basics like cartwheels and sweeps but its all nicely paced for everyone.
    Its not a marshal art as such, when you spar, its kind of like playing as you don't set out to literally kick the crap out of the other person. For example i saw two well trained people sparring and one guy picked the other guy up and held him above his head, but didn't do anything more as he knew he'd bested him. Its not about hurting each other, its about respect if that makes sense.

If you want to get fit then this is a great class to go to as i guarantee you'll be absolutely shattered afterwards, even if you're already fit.

I'd definitely give it a go once as i think you'll either love it or hate it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Epiphany - have you done any other type of martial arts before?
    > > > George Burns

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71
    I've been thinking about this, there seems to be loads of places here in Finland where you can join a course, I just don't think I'm fit enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fat or anything like that, but doing those kind of handstands and roundkicks...I can't see my body doing it.
    You wont progress to that sort of thing for quite a while. After two months and being the same sort of fitness as what you are, no-one is doing that sort of thing yet. You get gradually trained into that

We do high kicks but nothing overly physical just yet

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by guns
    Epiphany - have you done any other type of martial arts before?
    Yeah, i did shotokan karate for 3 years and also ninjitsu for a year.

Ninjitsu was the most painful marshall art i've ever tried as I literally got the crap kicked out of me 3 hours a week...Their idea was to set up the experienced people with the new people so you'd learn, all that happened was two sprained wrists, a broken ankle and bruises from head to toe....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Some more on the subject.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=t32M-M2iQGc
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went to our 1st capoeira class last wednesday with morph and vernos....i was in fooking bits for 3 days after
    > > > George Burns

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you enjoy it though. I had one tonight and i'm fcuking knackered now :/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea loved it mate.....but im shite at cartwheels....looked a right fooking idiot
    > > > George Burns

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea loved it mate.....but im shite at cartwheels....looked a right fooking idiot

You'll get better at it
    Just takes lots of practice. Its good for flexibility though

Just wait until you do them on your head...
    We were doing that on monday on a rock solid surface
    I swear i've got brain damage

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphany

You'll get better at it
    Just takes lots of practice. Its good for flexibility though

Just wait until you do them on your head...
    We were doing that on monday on a rock solid surface
    I swear i've got brain damage
    lol, good feedback guys, I will definitely start this as well. Let me know what activities you get up to during the early classes. Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71
    lol, good feedback guys, I will definitely start this as well. Let me know what activities you get up to during the early classes. Thanks.
    Well i can tell you how last weeks went, look here for the examples of what we were doing http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9...ics.html#ginga
    First we started with the Ginga, depending on your background you may have diffulculties at 1st but you will soon pick it up as it is quite easy.

Then from that we moved straight onto (much to my surprise, shock and horror) cartwheels ! 1st we had to do 3 to 4 down the room, get back in line and do it again....for about 15mins then from there we had to practice doing a cartwheel from the Ginga for fooking ages ! and when you are shite at cartwheels this was hard.

Then we praticed Cocorinha (from the ginga) which is a ducking/blocking movement for avoiding circular kicks at close range.....Easy

Then onto Meia Lua de Frente which is a outward circular kick from the ginga....difficult at 1st to get the movement right but a few goes and you should have it.

This was a two hour class and i was knackered but enjoyed it a lot, worth a go for something different and to get fit.

I will post up what we do tommorow, not sure if maybe we should move this thread from the D and D now though?
    Last edited by guns; 22nd March 2006 at 02:56 PM.
    > > > George Burns

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well i can tell you how last weeks went, look here for the examples of what we were doing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

First we started with the Ginga, depending on your background you may have diffulculties at 1st but you will soon pick it up as it is quite easy.

Then from that we moved straight onto (much to my surprise, shock and horror) cartwheels ! 1st we had to do 3 to 4 down the room, get back in line and do it again....for about 15mins then from there we had to practice doing a cartwheel from the Ginga for fooking ages ! and when you are shite at cartwheels this was hard.

Then we praticed Cocorinha (from the ginga) which is a ducking/blocking movement for avoiding circular kicks at close range.....Easy

Then onto Meia Lua de Frente which is a outward circular kick from the ginga....difficult at 1st to get the movement right but a few goes and you should have it.

This was a two hour class and i was knackered but enjoyed it a lot, worth a go for something different and to get fit.

I will post up what we do tommorow, not sure if maybe we should move this thread from the D and D now though?
    Excellent, thanks a lot! I really appreciate you taking the time for this

Thanks
    Karma Level

erm, think the link may be wrong there

not sure what a subaru impreza flywheel thingy has to do with cartwheels

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah shite, to many jobs going on at once! cheers Tammer

This is the place for descriptions

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9...ics.html#ginga
    > > > George Burns

Thanks
    Karma Level

Spot on write-up Guns!

Thats also an excellent site. I have to refrain from reading it at work as it makes me want to start practicing (I work in an office )

You'll probably start to do some more kicks, theres a straight forward kick where you lean back and literally push your foot out. (Bênção)
    Then theres one where you twist your front foot slightly outwards and then bring your foot across in an arc infront of you. (Martelo)
    Theres also one where you cross your feet over. As in you put your back foot inside your front foot so your legs are crossed. Then you bring your front foot right up high in the air and then pull it down and across your body. (Queixada)

We've started doing reversals now. EG. you start to do the cartwheel but stop before your back foot leaves the ground and go back the way you came from. Really hurts your ass muscle! lol
    Last edited by Epiphany; 22nd March 2006 at 03:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast