Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default how much does tesco pay?

i'm currently a supervisor for a large supermarket getting £5.55 an hour, thats for being the duty manager then locking up in the evening. i hear tesco pays over £6 for customer assistants and there is one opening nearby... is this true? i don't personally beleive it but i would be happy to take a demotion for more money

cheers in advance, karma waiting

edit: i should make it clear, its a large chain but a small store hence having only a supervisor there at night and only getting £5.55 for being in charge - big shops obviously have a proper manager wearing a suit and getting lots of money per hour there at all times
    Last edited by TwoPlAnKs; 26th March 2006 at 12:26 PM.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: how much does tesco pay?

Or you could try Aldi, they pay incredibly well.
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ironically there is also an aldi opening nearby... i'm scared if you knew that

aldi arent open late though are they? i am at uni full time so day shifts are a bit sketchy and i quite like my 5-10pm affairs I do just now. it's definitly an option though

Thanks
    Karma Level

right fuck everything that isnt aldi
    Store Assistant

If you're over 18, a practical and friendly team player who likes demanding work in a fast-paced environment, then this may well be the job for you.

Working for Aldi as a Store Assistant involves real responsibility as part of a small team. You’ll need to be willing to accept responsibility by thinking for yourself and undertaking tasks without constantly referring to the Store Manager.

£7.40 rising to £8.70 per hour (plus London weighting).
    cheers lin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cool, I don't know if they are open late but they are open at the weekends so that might help, that are you are prepared to work those shifts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your a Supervisor in your current job then I would go for a similar role in tesco....

Just asked my bro and he says they are called team leaders there (coz he is one) and pick up £6.50ish but that rises to £7.19 after a years service. He also reckons that the £6.50ish they pick up to start with is going up by 50p soon.

GA's - General Assistants get £5.60

AJ

edit: just found out that Customer Assistants get a little bit more than the £5.60 but not much
    Last edited by AJ_007; 24th March 2006 at 04:09 PM.
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_007
    If your a Supervisor in your current job then I would go for a similar role in tesco....

Just asked my bro and he says they are called team leaders there (coz he is one) and pick up £6.50ish but that rises to £7.19 after a years service. He also reckons that the £6.50ish they pick up to start with is going up by 50p soon.

GA's - General Assistants get £5.60

AJ

edit: just found out that Customer Assistants get a little bit more than the £5.60 but not much
    looks like my options are opening at a trumendous rate!

i don't like the idea of working for a big supermarket, I like the little shop idea. i'll apply for both though I think and we'll see what happens

cheers everyone

Thanks
    Karma Level

From previous posts I always thought it was just a newsagents you worked in.

As AJ says try for a supervisors post if you have the relative experience, also another thing to consider is Aldi don't have barcodes, your meant to remember the price of the item and type it in.

Also your expected to work fast hence the high rate of pay, Tesco drones only have to type the odd item in and so are paid less.

Another point is that in my very rare trips to Aldi all the staff have been middle aged and I see your only 18. are you willing to work in an enviroment where you may have nothing in common with the staff and you arriving half an hour late still ripped to the tits on a saturday morning won't go down well?
    :beer 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.:beer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSteve

Also your expected to work fast hence the high rate of pay, Tesco drones only have to type the odd item in and so are paid less.
    Also if i'm right (95%) the reason the pay is high its coz they don't take the tax off, you have to work it out yourself? I remember about it ages ago when I was applying for part time stuff while at college, maybe someone else can confirm
    Last edited by AJ_007; 24th March 2006 at 04:49 PM.
    "The cream has floated to the top" - Midnight_Toker on his work fantasy football team's recent form 08.11.06

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSteve
    From previous posts I always thought it was just a newsagents you worked in.
    its a very small supermarket which is mainly a newsagents, we do news deliveries and stuff and fags and general off liscense type stuff.

As AJ says try for a supervisors post if you have the relative experience, also another thing to consider is Aldi don't have barcodes, your meant to remember the price of the item and type it in.

Another point is that in my very rare trips to Aldi all the staff have been middle aged and I see your only 18. are you willing to work in an enviroment where you may have nothing in common with the staff and you arriving half an hour late still ripped to the tits on a saturday morning won't go down well?
    I don't tend to go into work hungover very often anyway, but the middle aged thing is a good point. it would also greatly decrease chances of getting the job since it looks like they are going for more mature staff.

neither of them are open yet anyway but i think tescos are already recruiting so i'll give them a phone

Thanks
    Karma Level

The staff at our Aldi (Burton) are mainly young, very helpful and very friendly. Stuff scans through the till but they want you to learn the prices in case the tills go down (I asked not long ago)

Thanks
    Karma Level

tesco are a good mob to work for, i worked part time in scotlands biggest tesco extra store for about 3 years and they paid quite well... only downside is u have to work yer bollox off if your in one of the busier stores...

i used to go in on a sunday fucking dreading work cos it was full to the fucking brim from 7am-10pm.

after a work placement in the real world for a year i decided i wasnt going back to tesco.. (after a while it gets *extremely* tedious) so now i work for odeon and do almost no work and watch movies on most shifts but for less money..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lin
    The staff at our Aldi (Burton) are mainly young, very helpful and very friendly. Stuff scans through the till but they want you to learn the prices in case the tills go down (I asked not long ago)
    I did say this was a rare visit, not been in our local Aldi for years so the staffing age may have changed but I did hear that they didn't have the scanners up to about a year ago.

In fact I'm off work tomorrow so will go down see if they've updated to scanners and mibie ask about jobs see what I can glean for twoplanks.
    :beer 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.:beer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem with Tesco customer service is that there is a team of people that (me included) that purposfully search tesco for mispriced items then get a full refund on the item and get to keep it.

I got a 250GB external hard rive last night for nothing

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

1 vote for nice tottie at my local aldi shop too

2planks - have a look at what aldi pay for graduates who start as store managers, think about what you'll be doing in a couple of years time.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John
    Problem with Tesco customer service is that there is a team of people that (me included) that purposfully search tesco for mispriced items then get a full refund on the item and get to keep it.

I got a 250GB external hard rive last night for nothing
    lol...nice one mate...how much grief did you have to give?

I know they have no problem forking out a few quid for a mis-priced piece of meat etc....but can't imagine that they just handed you back your 100 quid with nothing to say on the matter?

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

woah cheers everyone

i'll find an aldi and go in and have a nosy about soon, i thought there was one just up the road but it is a lidl i think

Thanks
    Karma Level

Plus, especially if you're a student, working in an aldi will be dead handy, as you can buy quality grub at quality prices.

Anyone that blindly says that Aldi and Lidl sell shite for chavs and pikeys is a fool...

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino
    Plus, especially if you're a student, working in an aldi will be dead handy, as you can buy quality grub at quality prices.

Anyone that blindly says that Aldi and Lidl sell shite for chavs and pikeys is a fool...
    definitly. lidl's dodgy german beer stuff - cheaper than most own brands and tastes nicre than most decent beers do. magic

Thanks
    Karma Level

Aldi's are now open until 7pm six nights a week

tbh i shop there every week, can't stand tesco now, money grabbing swines they are

Aldi's have improved 10 fold over the last couple of years, even my fussy daughter will eat their food so it can't be that bad lol

personally, couldn't work there though, too many special buys spent a few quid this week on a tree, rhododendron, pansies, masonary paint etc... garden looks nice for it though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast