Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The DF Mural

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The DF Mural

I think 24 hours is a bit tight, that's not really giving people chance to do anything, 48 hours I think would be enough, and like you said, if they go nowhere after that - next person can take a shot at it.

Alternatively, if people are getting itchy mouses, why not have a few on the go, and people can add to ones when they have time, or start their own for others to jump on to?

I'll give this one a crack now then...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    If people are gonna take forever to get theirs done then this isn't going to work. It's ok saying you are going to do the next part then take forever to do it.

People should try pulling their head out their arses.
    Less than 24 hours isn't forever.

If people aren't going to give each other a good crack at coming up with something before jumping in then it won't work either.

48 hours is long enough. If someone has said they'll have a go and haven't finished it in that time then the next person can start on their design.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, I've rustled up this one to tag on the end in the last hour or so, should get things moving on a stage...

Also, I was thinking about image sizes and stuff, we'll go with this one for now, but I think we need to change things for the next one. We really want each individual image to be 800 x 400, so when people are passing on the 150, it should be added to that size... basically meaning you start your image with one which is 950 x 400, with the first 150 being the 150 from the image before. That way every image is the same size, and you gain a little bit more to work with.

What do you think?

Looking forward to the next installment

edit: Oh, and is someone going to start putting them together and keep it updated so we all see the ongoing saga? Would be nice to look at.
    Last edited by Crags; 22nd April 2006 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I made mine 950x400 so that my actual contribution was 800x400.

Been a while since i've used photoshop and I spent ages trying to get your pic to blend and couldn't get anything to actually work with it.

So i took the cheaters option which is annoying really as it hasn't convinced me. If anyones got a better one then post that as i'm not overly happy with it and i'll have a go with blending into an easier picture

Last edited by Epiphany; 23rd April 2006 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The idea of the overlap is to incorporate and extend into it as part of your own 800x400 design, thereby creating a seamless blend to the whole thing. Extending the canvas to 950 and just butting up the new design to the previous one means there's little point in including the overlap part in the first place, and it will be less of a mural and more a collection of unrelated images joined together.

Epiphany, I had a quick go at creating a smoother transition from yours to crags. I think if the black text layer was extended further into crags overlap it would look better, but I couldn't be bothered masking out the text to do it and I don't have that font.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be fair Crags's design wasn't the easiest to blend into. Remember to consider the person designing the next section people.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    The idea of the overlap is to incorporate and extend into it as part of your own 800x400 design, thereby creating a seamless blend to the whole thing. Extending the canvas to 950 and just butting up the new design to the previous one means there's little point in including the overlap part in the first place, and it will be less of a mural and more a collection of unrelated images joined together.

Epiphany, I had a quick go at creating a smoother transition from yours to crags. I think if the black text layer was extended further into crags overlap it would look better, but I couldn't be bothered masking out the text to do it and I don't have that font.

give me 10 i'll give it a go.

How do you make it blend across like that. i spent ages trying to figure it out but couldn't remember.
    Maybe posting a guide on how to do it would encourage more people to take part, as in my eyes, the blend is the hardest part

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hows this?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Layer -> Add Layer Mask is your friend

BUT, as you've got the original you can make just the text go over etc and split the layers to make certain elemtns extrude more than others and give it a more 'overlap' feel.

I understand that it wasn't the easiest image to blend into maybe, but I personally would have copied parts of my rusty image to try and make it rounded a bit more. The image CJ finished wasn't the easiest, but that's what makes it all so funky... taxes yer brain a bit to

Anyhoo, I think we're getting somewhere now, and so I will have a crack at adding another a bit further on... I seem to suddeny have loads of ideas I want to expand on, and this could be just the beginning!

Oh, and one more thing... I was thinking of building a kinda PhotoScrabble idea, building on from what a few people have said... but I'll stick it in a new post so I dont clutter this one up...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crags
    I understand that it wasn't the easiest image to blend into maybe, but I personally would have copied parts of my rusty image to try and make it rounded a bit more. The image CJ finished wasn't the easiest, but that's what makes it all so funky... taxes yer brain a bit to
    Yeah i tried that and it looked rubbish. There were just too many colours and too much texture to make it look convincing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphany
    How do you make it blend across like that. i spent ages trying to figure it out but couldn't remember.
    Maybe posting a guide on how to do it would encourage more people to take part, as in my eyes, the blend is the hardest part
    As crags said, layer masks are what you need. Here's a very simple tutorial on how to blend 2 images, LINK.

I've added your image to the mural. Who's next.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    As crags said, layer masks are what you need. Here's a very simple tutorial on how to blend 2 images, LINK.

I've added your image to the mural. Who's next.
    Superb!

Cheers for that.

I kept trying to do it using feather, but it kept fading the image the wrong way, so the overlap was normal, but the edges were faded and i couldn't swap the bastard round, heh

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is that it then? Have we stopped at 4 people? Not really much of a mural is it lol...

Come on chaps, someone else take up the mantle and move it on a stage... or I might just add another image meself as I'm well into it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Crags
    Is that it then? Have we stopped at 4 people? Not really much of a mural is it lol...

Come on chaps, someone else take up the mantle and move it on a stage... or I might just add another image meself as I'm well into it.

I'm planning on doing a section or 2 but been really busy. Plus waiting for a few more lines to work with.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is my first attempt at any sort of graphic design, I mainly use photoshop for photo editing.

I have never added a pic either so I hope it goes up first time...

Dan
    Last edited by Dopey Dan; 25th April 2006 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by partyman
    I'm planning on doing a section or 2 but been really busy. Plus waiting for a few more lines to work with.
    create some lines!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one dan, that's great for an idea i've got. Do I have to elect to go next or is that not the system anymore? I'll be able to work on it tonight when i get home..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah you elect to go next so people know not to start one based on the previous image..

so...

PARTYMAN IS NEXT lol

For the benefit of those who might be inclined to just jump in. That gives you about 48 hours to get it done - spit spot lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

phew, thought we were gonna stall already!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looking good guys!
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won
    I fought the law and I won

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast