Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAREER ADVICE

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help CAREER ADVICE

hello, my names Craig McVeigh and im 18 Years old.

I want to start thinking about a career with alot of money.

So far I have 4 GCSE's A-C

English - B | Maths - C | French - C | Business Studies - C

I have also passed a 2 year Trainee Management Course and have levels 2-3 in Customer Service NVQ completed...although this is not a path I think has much money...£25,000 at the top

hopefully people will have sugestions to a career path with alot of money involved. I hear fireman get £30,000 a year which sounds great. Plumbers can earn up to £100,000 a year if they work for it, same for joiners and electricians. So if anyone has any gd ideas of jobs that pay ALOT then please give me ideas on the paths I should take. ANY advice will be welcome and I will be very grateful. Thanks
    o r i g i n a l l y k n o w n a s
    MaKas

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.30ghz+
    2GB Crucial Ballistix Ram 1000mhz+
    500GB Western Sata-2 16mb Cache
    Nvidia 8800GT 512mb Dx10 PCI-E
    600W Power Supply

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: CAREER ADVICE

I'm 34, soon 35, would like to have the same advice please My current earnings are around £45.000, and it's not enough, well it never is.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would have liked the advice too but I've just got this email from a nice nigerian chap who has inherited a load of money, and if I help him I get a cool 5%!

No more work for me!!
    Gunny

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny
    I would have liked the advice too but I've just got this email from a nice nigerian chap who has inherited a load of money, and if I help him I get a cool 5%!

No more work for me!!
    lol, is that one still doing its rounds?
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

? dont go offtopic!!! im serious. Got advice. anyone?

What do you do to get 45,000. I think thats more than enough. But id always want more aswell...
    MaKas

600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

so your really not bothered about a career as such which you would enjoy, u merley just going for top bucks and not bothered what you do??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Correct, most jobs are the same. I would of liked to become a Games Engineer or a Journalist but as Ive grew older my mind has changed. Im looking for a job I can earn alot or grow to earn alot with training. Anyone can advance in a career if your lucky, I want a job where its pretty sure that if you work for it, your going to get the bucks. Im from UK btw
    MaKas

600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MaKas
    Correct, most jobs are the same. I would of liked to become a Games Engineer or a Journalist but as Ive grew older my mind has changed. Im looking for a job I can earn alot or grow to earn alot with training. Anyone can advance in a career if your lucky, I want a job where its pretty sure that if you work for it, your going to get the bucks. Im from UK btw

Still gotta start at the bottome with all the shit mate, you don't get 4 GCSE's and walk straight into a £40 grand a year job.

Which ****ing sucks!
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won
    I fought the law and I won

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes i know wots at the bottom. but which is the way to the top, which path is the best. which career is better?
    MaKas

600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try doing some more research yourself. First of all you need to research fields of jobs that pay £40,000+ p/a, then discount all the jobs you dont think you would be able to do. Having done that, do some research into entry qualifications and methods including those that may offer apprenticeships for less qualified people. Finally, having narrowed it down to jobs (or, more accurately by this stage, careers) that do pay that much, that you could potentially do and that you could realistically enter into, you need to check on job advancement and pay scales (it is no good being on £25,000 until you're 45 if £40,000 is your aim and only then looking at quick advancement).

Obviously, this is a long process and one that members on here are probably not going to have the time or inclination to do for you, here you will simply get answers based on personal experience (or experience of aquaintances) which is why I would suggest that coming back and asking what members know of x, y and z jobs based on what you find out might be the best option.

If there is nothing that suits you, look into gaining further qualifications, it would be my thinking that this would, while you are still only 18, be one of the best plans at the moment since regardless of how much practical ability and experience you have, many employers (if not all in high-paying fields) will want to see evidence in qualification form.

Might I also suggest that you look into careers that might actually appeal to you- although obviously I haven't got the benefit of experience, I'm sure that 40 or 50 years doing something you hate just for the money wouldnt be the greatest career choice.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

With those qualifications & worse you could be a supervisor where I work. The skills profile seems to be a) moron b) simpering cock-sucker c) illiterate d) innumerate. Then you can have £32k a year, if you think you're up to it.

Seriously, if the bloke needs to do 7x6 he writes 7 down 6 times & then adds them up.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast
    With those qualifications & worse you could be a supervisor where I work. The skills profile seems to be a) moron b) simpering cock-sucker c) illiterate d) innumerate. Then you can have £32k a year, if you think you're up to it.

Seriously, if the bloke needs to do 7x6 he writes 7 down 6 times & then adds them up.
    buhahahahaha.. very good lol

even working yer way to a 40k a year job aint what it used to be i dont think... now your lucky to get on a career path that may eventually lead to that kind of money unless youve got some bit of paper to show an employer... how many people do you know that are earning 40k+ atm that went to uni... until recently most people didnt and out of almost every person over 40 that i know of only 1 person did... where as now, uni/college is important to get yer foot in the door and get on the first rung of the ladder.

whatever u learn at uni is largely useless (cept in terms of theory)... its only good for that wee bit of paper to tell an employer that you have put in the time and effort to go through the process of higher education.. not a whole hell of a lot else.

what im getting at is itll be very difficult to get to a 40k+ job or on the path to such a salary without some proper qualifications and bits of paper to get in the door... once yer post-grad most jobs open up to at least give you the chance to get yer arse through the door, but without being post-grad, they probably wouldnt even consider yer cv....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Which is why im looking for advice... I want a great job and this is the experience I have now. advise me on what I should do now to get better. everyone is telling me ways to get there but in what career, now dont write back with ur smut comments saying "anty job if you work for it" press the X in the corner mate. real advice, not being a dick but im sick of people thinking they know all, tell me wot u know and ill think about it. I want a great job with a great salary, not someone chastising me. thnx
    MaKas

600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, in that case I'll not chastise you, I'll simply say this: you will in all honesty not get a great job with a great salary with what you have now. Four GCSEs is nothing compared to what others can offer employers.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_15
    Well, in that case I'll not chastise you, I'll simply say this: you will in all honesty not get a great job with a great salary with what you have now. Four GCSEs is nothing compared to what others can offer employers.
    thats what i was trying to get at above... seems bluntness is the only way to get through lol.

ps you have to at least pic a general area that u are interested in ffs then pursue the qualifications required for either an interview or job.... theres billions of different jobs.. all of em shite unless its something you enjoy tho.

personally im currently doing networking at uni and would quite like to get into the wireless area of the job market when i leave... partly cos i enjoy computing and networking in general but partly cos in the future wireless is gonna be where its at both in the home and in the public domain.

i also went to hewlett packard for a year and done an undergrad placement... that taught me a load about working in the real world but was also a great experience and it gives me some nice looking references and working experience to put on the cv.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hmm yeah ok well said. I just wanna be pushed in the right direction and tbh im not too smart but I can learn. All I do is computers and gym, I think fitness is great, id love to get into that so if anyone knows wot I should do, like uni? What should I do there, what will I need? How to get into uni? or is that a stupid thing to say and I need to go to college first?

SO if you could plz tell me how I would go about becoming a Fitness Instructor bearing in mind im 18 and all Ive done is read up on it.
    MaKas

600W Power Supply

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's a link to graduate opportunities: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/p!eLaXi

If you decide to go down the education route there are some superb careers that employers offer. You usually start on a salary £20k-£25k(tops) and get moved around the company while gaining experience towards a professional title or possibly a work-based Msc or doctorate. You have the advantage of youth & can carve out a superb career in whatever field you like.

I think you can access a lot of degrees by doing a foundation year now, so let's say you start your education in earnest in september you could have an honours degree in 4 years, 5 with a placement. As Marcode says, most employers want to see that you can stick out the education rather than hav knowledge of individual subjects. I do a part-time degree at the same time as my full time job & I get a great sense of satisfaction from stretching myself & learning new things. The difference between my situation & (your potential one) is that I get a full adult wage, I dunno what it's like being a full time student nowadays.

This is a superb book that doesn't have much information in, just a good morale booster for the ambitious: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...777084-1543109
    Last edited by beansontoast; 23rd April 2006 at 11:30 AM.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

thats more like it, thanks alot! gd post

More advice is welcome
    Last edited by MaKas; 23rd April 2006 at 11:50 AM.
    MaKas

600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive had a look around and since im interested in Gym and Fitness and with me hoping to become a Personal Fitness Instructor 1 day, what should I look at?

Im looking along the lines of nutrition maybe and of course physical education! I live in newcastle so heres the link to Newcastle UNI

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/

Can anyone find me the right page to wot should suit me in that sort of career thanks!
    MaKas

600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you cant look through a prospectus and find your own course and what qualifications are requirement for entry to that course without somones help, youve no ****ing hope.

noones gonna do it all for u ffs.. just pick a ****ing course that you have the requirements for (if any) and see about enrolling for the start of the next term.

as i said above, it really doesnt matter what course you do, it just matters that you get the wee bit of paper. and tbh, i wouldnt go down the fitness route myself, i knew loads of numpties that did that when they left school cos it was the only thing they had the braincells to cope with and they all dropped out or got shit jobs anyway.. think about it first.. give yourself a choice... if you do something more computing based it will give u some actual decent knowledge and an employer wont laugh at you when you turn up with a degree in health in fitness to an office job.... a degree in computing based subject could prolly take you down almost any career path, a degree in fitness could probably go only one way.. fitness instructer or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast