Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Liverpool - the only REAL contenders?

Interesting article from a neutral who openly admits his dislike for anything scouse. A very sensible viewpoint on the top5 clubs, and hopefully he is spot on with it all. I really admire how this neutral describes chelsea and what they have done.

By European Football - April 30 2006
    Liverpool only real challengers to Chelsea?
    By European Football - April 30 2006

In what was a fairly predictable season Chelsea were yesterday crowned Champions on England for the second year running, and from where I sit if they were unpopular last year, they are doubly so this year.
    It must claw at the heart of every true football fan; to see how easily the league can be bought, got a few billion roubles? Hell buy England’s football heritage.

Its not even like I hate Chelsea anymore than I hate say Manchester United, but at least when Manchester United were dominating England, it was with a few good buys and some well raised junior talent.

Chelsea just throw silly money at players and they are guilty of buying players simply to stop other clubs owning them, really someone explain to me how Chelsea has been a good move for Wright-Phillips?

Anyway rant over into the vagaries of Russian mobsters and their playthings.

The question is now who will challenge Chelsea next season.

Let’s take the next four, not necessarily in order.

Manchester United: I can’t see it, they are still a decent side, but they lack the fluency of years gone by, whatever is going on with Van Nistelrooy and Fergusson will I believe see the most natural finisher at the club leave over the summer.

Obviously at the moment I cannot predict summer buys, but it does not appear that Man Utd will be among the big spenders, hence I feel they will yet again be unable to challenge Chelsea.

Spurs: This has truly been a great season for Spurs and there seems no reason at the moment why they will not progress even further under Martin Jol, but a note of caution would spring to mind, if I was compiling this list last year, Everton would be in this place and look what happened to them.

It’s too early as far as I am concerned to really assess Spurs; one swallow does not a summer make and all that.

Arsenal: Arsenal could do it, they really could, they have good youngsters and a Champions league final to justify their inclusion, and I can see Arsenal challenging Chelsea, I just think it will take another season of rebuilding first.

They are a couple of good buys away from being genuine title challengers again, and Wenger is a man to find them, this season has been inconsistent from and Arsenal point of view, and I expect better from them for next year, but I still don’t think they will be the real challengers.

Liverpool: I am not a Liverpool fan, to be honest I can’t bloody stand them, I am not much struck upon scousers either and I would happily re-install the death penalty for being Cilla Black, but I do think Liverpool are the most likely challengers, to the Mafiosi’s dominance of the premier league.

They are a tidy compact side, occasionally boring to the point of stupefaction, but they get the job done, for me at the moment it’s a two horse race next season and the two horses are Chelsea and Liverpool.
    We Are....The Mighty Liverpool Reds

Seen a Movie lately? Share your opinions in the Movie Section

"There is no doubt we are in the shadow of Liverpool, but we are doing out utmost to compete with them." - David Moyes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Liverpool - the only REAL contenders?

If Man Utd get rid of Van Nistelrooy this summer I can't see how they would challenge

Arsenal defo need some new midfielders, especially with Pires' imminent departure and I think they still miss Vieira

Liverpool - Good home record, but seem to beat the shit and mid table sides and struggle against the big boys.

I reckon Chelsea will buy a very good striker this summer, possibly Adriano, they will be unstoppable
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Man U just need a couple of midfielders.....

with wayne rooney missin the world cup he'll be more up for next season than ever!

our defence and wing work will be better once heinze is back.....

ronaldo will be a year older and he shall only gain on his experience of the world cup!

If Van goes we loose our "ian rush" but i don't think he will.....

get those midfielders and we'll be the ones pushin chelsea... mark my words!
    Steve Coppell & Wayne Rooney....... Born in Croxteth....... MADE IN MANCHESTER!!!
    -------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right, I'm gunna be biased and say Man U are gunna win next season without a doubt......Gotta keep the faith. But come on, I here people moaning of how chelsea have bought the prem, Do you really think any other team would of done anything different if they had the money, I dont.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its not like all teams dont buy players, all the teams do chelsea have been hit with overpricing cos they have access to money, how many £20mill + players did man u have out playing yesterday. Liverpool have never relied on home grown players, even back in the day they was full of irish scots and welsh players now like most teams they have a 70% +overseas players on staff, ars have 2 english in squad man u have 4 or 5 so its like chelsea are doing something different, the problem is all the glory hunters that the three "big" teams attracted during the winninng days were not true fans, now a lot lot feel put out that another team is winning. dont get me wrong i hate it at the bridge to see all the faithful fans priced out and a load of our own glory hounds there now, but i guess thats modern football.

but after that i still see chelsea winning title next year with man u being the main opposistion
    slow but sure,or is it sure but slow

On the sidewalk Sunday morning
    Lies a body oozing life
    Someone's sneaking 'round the corner
    Is that someone Mack the Knife

Thanks
    Karma Level

its a good article. I think Arsenal will win the league next season, but maybe thats my heart ruling my head.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddy
    its not like all teams dont buy players, all the teams do chelsea have been hit with overpricing cos they have access to money, how many £20mill + players did man u have out playing yesterday. Liverpool have never relied on home grown players, even back in the day they was full of irish scots and welsh players now like most teams they have a 70% +overseas players on staff, ars have 2 english in squad man u have 4 or 5 so its like chelsea are doing something different, the problem is all the glory hunters that the three "big" teams attracted during the winninng days were not true fans, now a lot lot feel put out that another team is winning. dont get me wrong i hate it at the bridge to see all the faithful fans priced out and a load of our own glory hounds there now, but i guess thats modern football.

but after that i still see chelsea winning title next year with man u being the main opposistion
    I can see where your coming from, however with Chelsea, they dont just seem to buy players for themselves...no matter what Jose or Kenyon says, they have bought, and bid on players their rivals wanted or in SWP had agreed on only to stifle the competition. Its not right now is it. You cant tell me whats happened with paying £20m for SWP and leaving him to rot has done England, Chelsea, Liverpool, the Premiership or SWP any good? everyones a looser in a scenario like that...they tried the same again with Simao recently, and in all likelihood the same has happened with ballack - you cant tell me you NEED ballack in the same way united NEED someone like that....but with him going to chelsea over united, again, you have ended up stifling an opponent/rival. Its clever and dirty, and us the fans, are the ones that loose out in the end.
    We Are....The Mighty Liverpool Reds

Seen a Movie lately? Share your opinions in the Movie Section

"There is no doubt we are in the shadow of Liverpool, but we are doing out utmost to compete with them." - David Moyes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by webslinger2k
    in all likelihood the same has happened with ballack - you cant tell me you NEED ballack in the same way united NEED someone like that....but with him going to chelsea over united, again, you have ended up stifling an opponent/rival. Its clever and dirty, and us the fans, are the ones that loose out in the end.

very very true!!

dirty tricks indeed!!! And chelsea wonder why their hated! :grr
    Steve Coppell & Wayne Rooney....... Born in Croxteth....... MADE IN MANCHESTER!!!
    -------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not really seeing the insight or quality in the posted article to be honest. As long as United buy wisely they'll be just as likely to compete as Liverpool if not moreso but in my estimation if Arsenal win the CL and Henry stays it'll be them that pose the greater threat.

Sadly, I reckon Chelsea will bring in Ballack and someone like Eto or Schevchenko and any strides made by the other clubs will be in vain. Those are players with that extra dimension that'll compliment their already solid back four and midfield. They'll win it again next season. I have no doubt of that whatsoever

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think Wigan might be champs next season

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the article misses out on a few points i.e the fact that Utd had a not so great season all in all and ended up playing bloody terrible at some times and STILL managed to finish 2nd (?) and at teh moment this has been achieved with a non existent midfield possibly our best most consistent player being out all saeson (Heinze) and a striker partnership that is still undecided, FACT United have still been statistically better than Liverpool this season the league doesnt lie, FACT they have been better for a long time and I dont see anything to suggest that changing just yet. What i do see at liverpool is probably the second best midfield in the prem at the moment (Behind Chelsea) with the current best player in that position (Gerrard) and that counts for a lot in a game and has really made a difference to Liverpools season. However I dont see them winning it to be honest, whats to say they are not having a one off season just liek everton?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Next season....?

lol
    If you can smell it, it's in your mouth.
    Click

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flick
    very very true!!

dirty tricks indeed!!! And chelsea wonder why their hated! :grr
    pepole only hate winners in this country and its sad we do

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty
    I think the article misses out on a few points i.e the fact that Utd had a not so great season all in all and ended up playing bloody terrible at some times and STILL managed to finish 2nd (?) and at teh moment this has been achieved with a non existent midfield possibly our best most consistent player being out all saeson (Heinze) and a striker partnership that is still undecided, FACT United have still been statistically better than Liverpool this season the league doesnt lie, FACT they have been better for a long time and I dont see anything to suggest that changing just yet. What i do see at liverpool is probably the second best midfield in the prem at the moment (Behind Chelsea) with the current best player in that position (Gerrard) and that counts for a lot in a game and has really made a difference to Liverpools season. However I dont see them winning it to be honest, whats to say they are not having a one off season just liek everton?
    you havent finished 2nd yet m8

Thanks
    Karma Level

Liverpool Everton 86 reunion game kicks off on Sky One at 2.30 if any of you reds wanna watch Lineker score a hattrick
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1
    you havent finished 2nd yet m8
    Why do you think that your lot will nick it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

probably not, but it is possible

Thanks
    Karma Level

very possible now

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hopefully but i can see you getting a win on sunday

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty
    Why do you think that your lot will nick it?
    maybe maybe not but u still havent finished 2nd yet have u and whats this booing at the theatre of dreams lmfao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast