Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Caribbean advice anybody...?

I am looking to take my family (Me, Wife and 2 kids - both over 16) to the Caribbean hopefully in Sept of this year. I have been told that Cuba is awesome, like a time warp, get there before Castro dies.

Problem is I can't find any all inclusive deals at less than a grand each for two weeks.

Anyone recommend somewhere Caribbean that is a more reasonable price for 4 adults ?
    What if the Hokey Cokey "IS" what it's all about?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Caribbean advice anybody...?

went to the DR last year and that was o.k., stayed 4 star all inc near puerto plata. (atlantic coast) at the superclub breezes resort. we payed around a grand each but that was with flight/room upgrades but i think the base price was more like £750 through co-op travel direct on the phone. (they even beat their own internet price AND my wifes best price who worked for first choice at the time).
    there is also a breezes resort on the caribbean side of the island for a similar price.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i am not sure about pricing, i think it may be a little steep, but if you get the chance to get over to Antigua, do.. its amazing!!.. fantastic place.. my ma and pa go there every january.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Should mention it that remember they are predicting a rather lively hurricane season this year.... (although not as lively as last year...)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I went to Jamaica (twice) all-inclusive so it was expensive but it's a stunning place to go, especially Dunn's River Falls. The place isn't as bad as you think but it isn't recommended that you go out after dark on your own.

St Lucia was nice but not as interesting as Jamaica, and I think maybe a little dearer.

Nothing would tempt me to the Dominican Republic, it's the Costa Del Sol equivalent of the Caribbean for me, there are too many reports of cheap dodgy food in the hotels for me to risk food poisoning.

Why not save up and go somewhere special next year? All inclusive are wonderful and cater for families, as well as those of us who don't want to be around children.
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lin
    I went to Jamaica (twice) all-inclusive so it was expensive but it's a stunning place to go, especially Dunn's River Falls. The place isn't as bad as you think but it isn't recommended that you go out after dark on your own.

St Lucia was nice but not as interesting as Jamaica, and I think maybe a little dearer.

Nothing would tempt me to the Dominican Republic, it's the Costa Del Sol equivalent of the Caribbean for me, there are too many reports of cheap dodgy food in the hotels for me to risk food poisoning.

Why not save up and go somewhere special next year? All inclusive are wonderful and cater for families, as well as those of us who don't want to be around children.

On the contrary - the DR is fine as long as you research your hotel - stick to at least a 4* and one of the big chains. Went a few years ago and rate it as good as any Caribbean holiday I've had. If you want a recommended hotel I went to the Iberostar Costa Dorada.

Have been to Jamaica, Dom Rep, Cuba and Mexico and found the hotel in the Dom Rep to be on a par with the others (except Cuba which admittedly was a 5*). Cuba was also the most interesting place to visit.

For Jamaica try Thompson holidays - they had some very good deals last year - haven't looked at prices this year (just moved into a new home - can't afford to go away...groan)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm just back from getting hitched in DR - stayed in Puerto Plata Village on the Costa Dorada resort. Apart from the fookwits at First Choice Wedding Team managing to get absolutely everything thay possibly could get wrong with the wedding totally wrong we had a great time.

Food was fine - although we were getting a bit fed up of the same stuff every day towards the end of the 2 weeks. Also spent a few nights in the Hilton Coral Marien Hotel just round the corner - nice and plush, but the staff were nowhere near as friendly and helpful as the PPV hotel.

Only bad thing was the amount of locals they allow into the hotels on the weekend - they basically try to let out every available room, it was ok the first weekend, but the weekend we came home was a nightmare, millions of the buggers filling the pool and every bar/restaurant from friday night till after tea on Sunday. Poor rep was getting no joy from the hotel and lots of flak from the other guests, the hotel basically just refused to put any extra staff on despite trebling the amount of guests. Seems like it happens in most of the hotels over there.

So apart from the wedding fiasco and the letting in of too many locals on weekends i'd happily go back there.

Regards,

Northernbloke

Thanks
    Karma Level

i'm off to the Dominican Republic on Monday and have so far heard nothing but good reports from people i know who've been

use www.tripadvisor.com to see recent comments from people who've been & find a recommended hotel via there maybe

the East coast of DR is the Caribbean sea & is apparently a little less windier than the North coast

SkyTravel are doing some good deals at the mo, i just got 3 of us at just over £2k, all inclusive at a 4* resort

i think every other holiday around there i looked at was more like a grand each