Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Engineering Exam

Had an exam on Hydrology and Unsteady Flow today, and fucked it up completely

Despite spending 40 hours of lectures and around 30 hours revision on this topic the lecturer thought he would fuck everyone over by writing a wrong question which I spent most of the exam trying to work out, after which I was the only one to point out midway through the exam of the possible mistake....

...indeed it was wrong but it completly threw me off, and hence fucked it up royally. (i'm estimating i got 30%). My average for exams completed so far 68%. I am so pissed off you wouldnt believe. So there goes my chances of first class

What happens at other uni's in situations like this? I would like to press for the chance of a complete retake with no caps imposed.

...truly annoyed
    Mladen

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Engineering Exam

I had a maths exam at uni quite a while ago in my BSc and there was a question which was impossible to solve (literally), had many people stumped, they bumped everyone's marks up in that exam, and I did ok, and probably took into account the amount of time wasted on it etc.

If you have class reps or something similar, get them on the case, and submit something to your head of dept asap to make sure this is noted when the exams are marked, dont let them screw you, this is completely their blunder, exams are checked beforehand, so someone hasn't done their job!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well my mate used to love that crap he would always point out grammar mistakes in the exam with one of those forms you fill in, he used always get more marks because he pointed out the error and said it was harder for him to answer. My uni worked on the basis that if you retake your exams in august they were capped to 40% but if you retook them the following year in june they were uncapped

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't let them fuck you over mate, get yourself and your classmates to kick up a fuss.

Thanks
    Karma Level

we get told to fill out a mitigating circumstances form.. one of the questions being wrong should be a definate resit chance.. thats fucking shite. or at worst they might have to scale the results if everyone fucked it up... anyone else think they are in the same boat as u?

i actually missed one of my exams entirely cos between the unconfirmed timetable, and the confirmed timetable, they had created a clash, so I was in sitting another exam at the time..

i now have to take it as a first diet sitting come august, which is gay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well, there were many in the same boat as me. nearly everyone was affected by it in some way to be honest. Me more than anyone cuz it was the first question i attempted to do.

What more, whilst on the front of the exam paper it said specifically "no text books" yet i saw loads of people take text books in.

Also, one of the questions that came up was apparently word for word identical to a past paper question 3 years ago. only a few people actually managed to get hold of this past paper as when i asked for it I was told it wasn't available. The only people that could get it was if you knew someone a few years down the line. And the chinese as they are all had model answers for that question.

It was all just a little unfair really, and i'm just hoping i dont get fucked over by it. It's my third year btw of a 4 year MEng course.
    Mladen

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know the thing about not everyone having access to past papers. It happens at my uni, some past years no longer become available after certain amount of time, but they circulate in certain communities, usually ppl from the same country, and they have an advatage over others. They hand round the papers and answers specifically saying not to pass it on to but a select few, the rumous I hear anyway in my uni. All a bit silly but its not cheating, and there is nothing to be done, tis a bitch though!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike
    Don't let them fuck you over mate, get yourself and your classmates to kick up a fuss.
    best advice, dont go quietly, notify neone who will listen nd fill out an extenuating circumstances form so that ur resit wont be capped at 40%

DJ
    I was touched by Jesus, so i had him arrested.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well, went to see my supervisor just now and he was marking the papers in question as i went in. Went through a few of the few questions i did and low and behold i messed alot of it up.

He refused to accept that the mistake could have knocked my confidence and lost me time in the exam. Although he did say he would make sure that i would get enough marks so that it can be taken as a tolerated failure and so that i would not have to resit the year or retake. although that's a good thing i think i would have liked to have retaken it without caps to be honest. Well, we will see what mark i get anyway and go from there.

Cheers for the support guys
    Mladen

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mladen
    well, went to see my supervisor just now and he was marking the papers in question as i went in. Went through a few of the few questions i did and low and behold i messed alot of it up.

He refused to accept that the mistake could have knocked my confidence and lost me time in the exam. Although he did say he would make sure that i would get enough marks so that it can be taken as a tolerated failure and so that i would not have to resit the year or retake. although that's a good thing i think i would have liked to have retaken it without caps to be honest. Well, we will see what mark i get anyway and go from there.

Cheers for the support guys
    i wouldnt accept that, if ur not getting what u want from one person, always go to their superior..

DJ
    I was touched by Jesus, so i had him arrested.