Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default ReProgramming VW Passat Key

Just a quick question, I've lost one of the spare key's for a 2002 VW passat, its one of those with 3 buttons which includes a button to open the boot lid.

Now I was thinking about buying one over ebay as there are loads of people auctioning info on how to reprogram them. But I just spoke to a locksmith and they were telling me that you can only program a vw key fob once and it will not re-program.

Can anyone shed any light on this before I fork out £150 for a new key.

many thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: ReProgramming VW Passat Key

That's my understanding too, you can reprogramme the same key if it's lost the code but you can't program another VW/Audis car key to work with your car.

Unless you buy new that is and if memory serves me correctly ebay has new ones on there too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

have you got the link zelnik please fella

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok, heres what happens with VW/Audi/Seat, don't buy from ebay, the key will not (for one work the doors or steeing lock as it's a key cut for a specific vehicle), you have to buy a code from the main dealer which is valid for 24 hours, this code is got by giving the main dealer your vin number who then create a 24hr key for you, within this time you must recode the key to the ecu of the vehicle, if the 24hrs expire you must buy a new one. most newish vw/audi/seat can't be reprogrammed by the old click method and must be plugged into a diagnostic machine for recoding to take place

PS if you are made enough to supply your vin number to some person of ebay, when you pay they will then have your address, so they can basically create a key for you car and know ehre to steal it from as well...
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

Thanks
    Karma Level

The remote central locking from a key form another key can easily be reprogramed by anyone with a key which fits the car, and this is the info being sold on ebay (i should know, I have bought it!!), but the immobiliser is another matter. As Swiss says that requires programming by someone with the correct equipment (which I have) however contrary to what swiss says (sorry to undermine you) you do not need to go to the main dealer for your login code, any decent locksmith should have the kit to read the code out of your vehicle (which again I have). BUT to once again agree with what Swiss says you will find the blade wont fit your doors or steering lock and it cant be recut to fit. Best bet is to stear well clear of ebay for this, I can put you in touch with someone who can help you out for a fraction of the price of the dealer if you tell me your area.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by screaminskull200
    have you got the link zelnik please fella
    Q: How do I reprogram the remote control?
    A: 1. Take the valet key, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, just prior to starting the car.

2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).

3. Exit the car and close the door.

4. With a second key, physically lock the doors (don't use a remote).

5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press one of the buttons and the lights will flash once. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

6. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote).

7. Press one of the buttons twice, the lights will flash twice. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

For a third transmitter press the button 3 times and for a fourth press 4 times.
    Last edited by zelnik; 13th June 2006 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Delambo, I'm in the Leeds area, so if you can help me out I will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try Michael Kirk from Motorkeys on 07940 757717. I dont know this bloke so I cant recommend him but word on the street is he's pretty good. Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Delambo - Is there anyone is North Devon your could recomend??? Got a 98 Passat and need to get my new key re prog'd.

Zelnik - Will that method work with a two button remote fob??
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site