Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Does Pipex Cap? + Moving ISP Advice

Does anyone know if Pipex caps broadband connections?

I can't find anything to say that they do, I'm on their 1mb solo 1000 service (which says it's unlimited) however most ISP's say that these days.

Anyway, the other question is, I'm thinking about moving from Pipex to Ace Internet, as pipex has become slow over the past year or so now, trouble is that my line is restricted to 1mb (tops) but says i might get 3.5mbs max? what ever that is.

Is anyone on Ace Internet that can give me some feedback of their service? or would I be stupid to swap from pipex?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Does Pipex Cap? + Moving ISP Advice

what you need to look for are the words, "Fair Usage Policy Applies" - if you see that then there's a cap.

your line is not restricted to 1Mb, you service is. If you upgrade an go for a package saying UP TO 8Mb, you will get UP TO 8Mb.. from what you say they have told you your line will handle 3.5Mb.
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does anyone know if Pipex caps broadband connections?

Does a bear poo in the woods? They cap like mad but cannot provide figures to back up their claims.
    Me and my fella spit our dummies out so we won't be coming back. ever. boo hoo.

This is a techy / hackers forum not a fu**ing mothers meeting so - peace out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hardly supprising

Thanks
    Karma Level

well, just going to check about the fair usage thing, as for the speed, when I enter my phone number into most of the ISP site, it states the max speed I can get is 1mb, but a posible 3.5mbps MAX broadband like this here :

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3.5Mbps or greater.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Now, I've been told in the past by pipex that I can't have anything over 1mb, as I tried to upgrade to 2mbs about a year ago and pipex said I couldnt have it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pipex cap their outsourced newsgroup access (Giganews) to 20kb/sec per channel (max 2 channels) and restrict unencrypted p2p to 20kb/sec.

Other stuff doesn't seem restricted to me (I'm also on 1mbit "unrestricted") and haven't noticed any slowdown, other than the usual friday night where local business must be backing up their data to server-side storage and forcing me into my 50/1 contention.

Do a swift search in this section because others have asked the same question as you, particularly concerning Ace.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ace Internet are proving to be good. Marcode would be the man to ask as he went from Pipex -> some shit firm -> Ace and seems very happy with them.

I was asked to leave Pipex some time ago due to unacceptable use, and it weasn't that bad believe me, and others have been capped down to 56k type rates until 23:00 in the evening.

Thanks
    Karma Level

given the response to your phone number search, if it's going on about distance of your line, that may have a big drawback on moving beyond 1Mb, bit hit n miss really

Thanks
    Karma Level

so whats this adsl max thing and does ace internet support it? because if thats the case then I might be better off with them and binning pipex.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blackster
    so whats this adsl max thing and does ace internet support it? because if thats the case then I might be better off with them and binning pipex.
    Yeah they do and Max is about giving you a speed up to 8mbit max. Give it a whirl but do some reading up on it first.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok cheers bertroot

Thanks
    Karma Level

see my sig for adsl max ISP advice, but yes, ace internet are extremely good, i wish they done a referral scheme... id never have to pay for internet ever again at this rate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Marcode, I've just resquested the MAC from pipex, and it's free to switch, plus 3 month contract, can't loose anything by it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

£36 a month thou, might have to bite the bullet and sign up for this bad boy, just concerned about if i pay for up to 8mbit and end up not getting quicker than 1mbit in my new area.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does anyone know then what the downloading limts are on an "unlimited connection"

I see a fair usage policy, but cannot see anything about how much there is to play with etc.

I'm still with pipex atm, awaiting migration over to aceinternet, but from what i hear about them and there 3.5gb cap per day on P2P and usenet it seems that i might be going back to pipex

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just migrated back to Zen from Nildram after a fukin nightmare 30 days with them.

Now paying £79 + vat for their Office Max 8000 service, and after the nightmare of Nildram it is proving to be worth every penny. Gone from 160kb/s-180kb/s and intermittent connnection problems to a constant 300kb/s and no downtime.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well my service with Ace internet isnt due to start until 21/6/06, so I've just emailed them with my concern about their fair usage policy (as It wasnt there when I signed up) and asked if I could cancel before this date, they have my MAC code and everthing now tho.

I've noticed theres a note on the site to say anyone who signed up before the 18th, they will only have to say a month, but is it going to take much trouble in getting back with pipex? or would it work out better if I give them a try first?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would Ace be able to tell you were using BT if you had protocol encryption enabled?

I'm thinking of leaving Pipex and going with Ace, but 3.5 gb a day on a much faster line isn't ideal.....Unless they can't tell of course....
    If you can smell it, it's in your mouth.
    Click

Thanks
    Karma Level

fuck me, it just gets better and better..

3.5gb a day is shite. thats 105 gig a month.

i dont use my connection on a per day basis tho, it can sit doing nothing for days or weeks at a time then suddenly ill decide to grab 30 gig.

ill just be hurling abuse at them until this changes...

here the second email they sent today:
    We wrote to you yesterday regarding the new Fair use policy that is coming into place in the next day or so.

There seems to be some misunderstanding from some customers surrounding the new "Fair use policy".

We are writing to you to clarify some points.

Firstly, as stated in the initial email, the Fair use policy is under trial for the first few days. The initial daily limit will be set at 3.5GB for just p2p and Usenet. Once you reach the limit, you can continue to download, just at a potentially slower rate. All other services will be unmetered, as they are now.

Because the FUP is new to us and under trial, we have chosen 3.5Gb as an initial limit to "test the water". After the first few days, we will be able to see how this is performing and possibly raise the level to maybe 5GB or 10GB per day. We just need to see how things go with the lower limit of 3.5GB first.

Secondly. Once the daily limit is established, we may look at other things like changing to a monthly limit and the ability to "top up" your allowance.

We hope this will clarify things for you.

Kind Regards

Ace Internet
    its getting better.. 5-10gb i can live with. but id much prefer they just done 300gb a month limit and stop pissing about with this daily shite otherwise im going to UKFSN who do 90/330 for 29.99.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you think you guys have problems

Just migrated over to Ace this morning,

I opted for the 2mb package as my line said it could only take 3.5mb adsl max, however it seems to have connected at 5.9mb?

I don't know if this might settle down over the next few days to 2mb, but i wish i'd gone for the 8mb package now, anyway, the internet is rapid at opened pages, tried downloading windows vista beta from ms and was getting 280kbps speeds but when it got past 1gb it stopped for some reason

One main thing I'm quite worried about is the torrents, I've tried it on a number of files using a few private and public trackers and the download speeds aint even getting past 2kbps

I'm using Azureus with encryption turn on (i only turned it on yesterday and ive set it for encrypted connections only) so i dont know if this has something to do with the slow speeds.

Also just run a ISP line checking program and it's come up with this.

ISP Monitor Speedtest (20/06/2006 15:35) / Provider:
    Downstream: 3461 Kbps (432.61 KB/s)
    Upstream: 307 Kbps (38.32 KB/s)
    Ping: 43 ms (0% Packet Loss)

What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast