Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Scots hold English-bashing contest during World Cup

By Hamish Mackay
    Thursday, 8 June 2006
    The Scottish media and establishment have been getting their knickers in a twist over England's place in the World Cup.
    The issue is occupying acres of space in the Scottish tabloids, led by bitter rivals the Daily Record and The Scottish Sun. Most of the anti-English feeling is directed against the media for its alleged jingoism and 1966 obsession, with the BBC's John Motson singled out for criticism.
    The tartan media frenzy comes on the back of an official warning from the Commission for Racial Equality (CRE)
    Scotland that the World Cup must not be used by Scotland fans as an excuse for anti-English racism.
    The CRE intervention gave Scottish newspapers a field day, with Daily Record columnist Bob Shields handed a whole page — under the heading: "Reading this page could be an offence" — for a jingoistic guide on World Cup pub etiquette, ending with the advice: "On leaving the pub, if England win: Say nothing, run home… and throw up."
    The Scottish Sun's campaign got off to a nervous start when its English parent paper allowed columnist and former
    editor Kelvin MacKenzie to launch an anti-Scottish tirade. This was prompted by the Scots tennis star Andy Murray making a throwaway joke about wearing a Paraguay shirt when the South Americans play England.
    MacKenzie slammed Scots as "mean and morose" and "dim" — muttering darkly about economic subsidies from England. But despite his column not being carried in Scotland, The Scottish Sun tried to limit the damage swiftly, pulling in The Sun's Scots-born TV
    columnist Ally Ross to redress the balance in a leader-page article.
    Ross promptly did the business, declaring: "The reason Andy Murray, a lot of Scots and many other nationalities don't like the Eng-er-land football team has nothing to do with economics or politics. Its simply down to the fact that there's nothing about them that is remotely likeable.
    "Not the players. Certainly not the English fans, who've spent the best part of 30 years causing havoc across the world… but above all not the incredibly touchy, 1966-obsessed English media who jump down the throat of a 19-year-old lad making a light-hearted remark at their expense."
    The Daily Record got in on the act with relish, claiming MacKenzie's outburst had not been picked up by the English media and pointing out: "It was obviously too hot for the Scottish edition, which did not carry it."
    By Monday, The Scottish Sun was feverishly promoting a CD called "The Trinidad and Tobago Tartan Army".
    It is also running a daily "66-ometer"
    asking readers to email "any gratuitous mentions of that glorious day".

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/articl...ring_world_cup
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Scots hold English-bashing contest during World Cup

lol.......... look at the name of the reporter!!

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nothing like trying to be anti-scottish or anything. Why aren't you concentrating on your own world cup traits of smashing shops and battering innocent people? It's not as if the engurlish fans are shy of a good fight are they?

Thanks
    Karma Level

you know what... the only sport thats worse than football is f1.

jenson button is fucking shite, fact. but yet the commentators INSIST on constantly giving him the benefit of the doubt and say how whatever happened is never his fault and hes great and should be higher in the standing etc etc etc

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!..

people from all over the UK are watching, no one gives a flying fuck about that muppet jenson..

that gets right on my tits.

then you watch the world cup, and im not even a football fan so its not like i actually give a fuck about what they are saying but the fact that they constantly go on about england and 1966 etc etc.. jesus fuck give it a fucking rest.. the match playing generally isnt even england. england play their first matches, get knocked out as usual (much to the excuse-spouting of the commentator), let the real teams compete and they STILL fucking bang on about england.. FFS shut up, comment about whats actually happening, not fucking ancient history.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tam9
    Nothing like trying to be anti-scottish or anything. Why aren't you concentrating on your own world cup traits of smashing shops and battering innocent people? It's not as if the engurlish fans are shy of a good fight are they?
    just responding to the bitter outbursts from the Anglophobics on the forums.

The only reason jocks never get arrested in Europe is because they never get to play there .

Why ? possibly because they are crap at football and never qualify for anything worth mentioning ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode

jenson button is fucking shite, fact. but yet the commentators INSIST on constantly giving him the benefit of the doubt and say how whatever happened is never his fault and hes great and should be higher in the standing etc etc etc

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!..

people from all over the UK are watching, no one gives a flying fuck about that muppet jenson..

that gets right on my tits.

then you watch the world cup, and im not even a football fan so its not like i actually give a fuck about what they are saying but the fact that they constantly go on about england and 1966 etc etc.. jesus fuck give it a fucking rest.. the match playing generally isnt even england. england play their first matches, get knocked out as usual (much to the excuse-spouting of the commentator), let the real teams compete and they STILL fucking bang on about england.. FFS shut up, comment about whats actually happening, not fucking ancient history.

If Scotland had won the world cup in 1966 do you think theyd be any different ?

Judging from some of the gobshites Ive come to known on here and in real life I say yes. Theyd be a 1000 times worse to say the least.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont give a fuck what they win. the commentators are employed to commentate on the action on the pitch, not what happened 40 fucking years ago.

especially after england have been knocked out, its 2 other teams playing in the current match and THEY ARE STILL GOING ON ABOUT ENGLAND!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Being honest, I'm hoping England do quite well in this world cup, and not just to get the hopes up and then get humped in a semi, but as when they play well, its actually very good football to watch, with some of the top players in the world. As Scotland aren't in it, I have no country to support, and hence just want to see some cracking games.

That being said, if we were in the world cup we'd be at least as bad as the english fans in spouting about how we were gonna win it (even though we wouldn't have a chance in hell).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode

you do realise that most of the performance is from the car and the drivers arne't THAT far apart in terms of ability, clear example being schuy loosing his #1 spot on every race because of car upgrades from renault, look where alonso was last year when ferrari had the better car
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tammer
    Being honest, I'm hoping England do quite well in this world cup, and not just to get the hopes up and then get humped in a semi, but as when they play well, its actually very good football to watch, with some of the top players in the world. As Scotland aren't in it, I have no country to support, and hence just want to see some cracking games.

That being said, if we were in the world cup we'd be at least as bad as the english fans in spouting about how we were gonna win it (even though we wouldn't have a chance in hell).
    I really appreciate your honesty.

@ Fusen please keep on topic mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    If Scotland had won the world cup in 1966 do you think theyd be any different ?

Judging from some of the gobshites Ive come to known on here and in real life I say yes. Theyd be a 1000 times worse to say the least.
    Pots and Kettles, spring to mind, lets face it gobshites on both sides of the border, AND here on DF.

it would be good to see posative posts on the footy rather than this crap, and that goes for the Scots here as well.
    :kissass :cry: Hmm I wonder which 3 this is ????

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just wish the commentators would commentate on the game rather that the past what ever it may be!
    its done and dusted now we all know what happen in 1966 but what’s happening in the games the now would be more interesting for us all as they is only so much you can say about 1966 before you are just repeating your self’s sounds like ma grappa talking about the war

Yaaawwwwn
    [FONT=Arial Black]Life is a waste of time, Time is a waste of life so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life!:biggrin: [/FONT]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5262
    I just wish the commentators would commentate on the game rather that the past what ever it may be!
    its done and dusted now we all know what happen in 1966 but what’s happening in the games the now would be more interesting for us all as they is only so much you can say about 1966 before you are just repeating your self’s sounds like ma grappa talking about the war

Yaaawwwwn
    Its a bad trait all BRITISH PRESS seem to share .

Do we also need to keep harping on about the 2nd world at every given opportunity? It makes me mad when 60 odd years later the media are still successfuly indoctrinating everyone on our Islands to believe the Germans are Nazis. After 20 years of living in Germany I can tell you firsthand Racism is very very remote in comparison to the UK or other European countries. People actually get arrested and sent to jail for doing a nazi salute in Germany.

Our Island is too much media run and we are so gullable and succumb to the media whims and tends in droves on most occassions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The commentators do talk about the game and the game only........... I agree that the studio do tend to bang on abut the only time England have won the world cup but i dont see anything wrong with that, Its something very few countries have done and something that English people should be proud of.

Im sure if you watched any of the other countries that have won the world cup then they too would go on about the last time they won the world cup

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher
    The commentators do talk about the game and the game only........... I agree that the studio do tend to bang on abut the only time England have won the world cup but i dont see anything wrong with that, Its something very few countries have done and something that English people should be proud of.

Im sure if you watched any of the other countries that have won the world cup then they too would go on about the last time they won the world cup
    Fair point but remember, it is BRITISH BRODCASTING and not just ENGLISH, if you were Welsh Irish or Scottish then I think you comment would be different, after all if you age in the info bar is correct, you were not born when England won. we or at least I would prefer to watch the world cup as a nutaral, but every piece of reporting is done from the English stand point, which is why we do get fed up.
    :kissass :cry: Hmm I wonder which 3 this is ????

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fusen
    you do realise that most of the performance is from the car and the drivers arne't THAT far apart in terms of ability, clear example being schuy loosing his #1 spot on every race because of car upgrades from renault, look where alonso was last year when ferrari had the better car
    yes m8, but it would be nice if they talked about something else once jenson has crashed out of the race.

when theres about 15 other folk ahead of him. in my book that makes him shite.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BLUTO141
    Fair point but remember, it is BRITISH BRODCASTING and not just ENGLISH, if you were Welsh Irish or Scottish then I think you comment would be different, after all if you age in the info bar is correct, you were not born when England won. we or at least I would prefer to watch the world cup as a nutaral, but every piece of reporting is done from the English stand point, which is why we do get fed up.
    fact is there are many BBC UK regions including scotland , wales and Northern Ireland. Surely you have Scotish,Welsh and Irish presenters doing the shows ?

If they chose to talk about England and you dont like it then why not protest to your local regional bbc HQs ?

It could also be to do with the fact that England are the only representatives of the UK in the world cup.

It says a lot though when 95% of those bitching are Scottish , 5 % are Welsh and as of yet 0% are from Northern Ireland.

can it be that the Scottish are just notorious whingers ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    It says a lot though when 95% of those bitching are Scottish , 5 % are Welsh and as of yet 0% are from Northern Ireland.

can it be that the Scottish are just notorious whingers ?
    can it be that your purposely trying to wind people up by posting this kind of shit to get a reaction out of anyone whos not english?

give it a rest.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tammer

fucksake tammer somebody must have slipped a mickey fin in your slimfast shake..

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BLUTO141
    Every other game is done from a neautral standpoint that doesnt involve England......... If any more of the British Teams (and i sincerely wish that more of them had got through) then im sure that the BBC would be as much behind them as they are the English

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast