Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Superman Returns - First Review

This is not a DF Official review thats why its posted in here

I found it at http://www.iesb.net/warnerbros2006/061006.php

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird…it's a plane…no, wait, it's Bryan Singer walking on air because Superman Returns is brilliant! In his crowning achievement, Singer has brought the iconic superhero back to the big screen in a very big way.

Brandon Routh stars as the Man of Steel along with Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane and Kevin Spacey as the menacing Lex Luthor. I was lucky enough to attend the screening Thursday night at the Bridge in Los Angeles. Talk about a ride. Superman has mysteriously disappeared for about 5 years and is returning to Earth, the planet he has grown to call home. We find him looking to find a place for himself in a society that has changed since his last visit.
    Going into this film my expectations were about average. I was excited but perhaps a little afraid of what I would see. Would they stay true to the mythos? Would Brandon Routh, a complete unknown, pull off such a larger than life character? Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane? All of my apprehensions were quickly swept away.
    Brandon Routh is Superman. Period. He seemed to embody the very fiber of Superman's being. He turned in a phenomenal performance and gave a fresh face to a well-known character. The rest of the cast was also fantastic. Kate Bosworth was quite worthy as the intelligent but feisty Lois Lane and Sam Huntington added a certain charm to the youthful Jimmy Olson. Not to be outdone, Kevin Spacey is amazing. His portrayal of the devious and evil Lex Luthor is priceless. He takes Luthor to another level adding a hint of madness Superman's power hungry nemesis.
    We were fortunate to follow up our screening of Superman Returns with a glimpse of the 3D version created for the IMAX theaters. This was truly amazing. Superman Returns: An IMAX 3D Experience will be the world's first live action feature to have selected segments converted from 2D into IMAX 3D. Watching the sequences it almost felt like a different film because you were watching it from a different angle. Really just amazing technology. Honestly, I loved this movie so much so we went back the next night to watch it again! Believe me, it's even better the second time!
    Stay tuned to the IESB for interviews with all the cast members plus director Bryan Singer and writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty. We will also post our complete movie review on June 27th!
    Superman Has Returned!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Superman Returns - First Review

great news, have read a couple of things saying it wasnt very good but this has restored my confidence
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw a trailer for this at the cinema last night....I might puke if I have to wait much longer to see it...

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor
    This is not a DF Official review thats why its posted in here

I found it at http://www.iesb.net/warnerbros2006/061006.php

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird…it's a plane…no, wait, it's Bryan Singer walking on air because Superman Returns is brilliant! In his crowning achievement, Singer has brought the iconic superhero back to the big screen in a very big way.

Brandon Routh stars as the Man of Steel along with Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane and Kevin Spacey as the menacing Lex Luthor. I was lucky enough to attend the screening Thursday night at the Bridge in Los Angeles. Talk about a ride. Superman has mysteriously disappeared for about 5 years and is returning to Earth, the planet he has grown to call home. We find him looking to find a place for himself in a society that has changed since his last visit.
    Going into this film my expectations were about average. I was excited but perhaps a little afraid of what I would see. Would they stay true to the mythos? Would Brandon Routh, a complete unknown, pull off such a larger than life character? Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane? All of my apprehensions were quickly swept away.
    Brandon Routh is Superman. Period. He seemed to embody the very fiber of Superman's being. He turned in a phenomenal performance and gave a fresh face to a well-known character. The rest of the cast was also fantastic. Kate Bosworth was quite worthy as the intelligent but feisty Lois Lane and Sam Huntington added a certain charm to the youthful Jimmy Olson. Not to be outdone, Kevin Spacey is amazing. His portrayal of the devious and evil Lex Luthor is priceless. He takes Luthor to another level adding a hint of madness Superman's power hungry nemesis.
    We were fortunate to follow up our screening of Superman Returns with a glimpse of the 3D version created for the IMAX theaters. This was truly amazing. Superman Returns: An IMAX 3D Experience will be the world's first live action feature to have selected segments converted from 2D into IMAX 3D. Watching the sequences it almost felt like a different film because you were watching it from a different angle. Really just amazing technology. Honestly, I loved this movie so much so we went back the next night to watch it again! Believe me, it's even better the second time!
    Stay tuned to the IESB for interviews with all the cast members plus director Bryan Singer and writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty. We will also post our complete movie review on June 27th!
    Superman Has Returned!
    That looks and reads like a studio plant. I give it no credence whatsoever. I remain hopeful but sceptical. Worried about the fact that the trailers don't actually show Routh saying anything and the whole thing hinges on him being up to the role. Just hope the guy can act and he wasn't just hired because Singer wanted to bum him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

im telling you this film will be awesome.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont believe you lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's another review, this time from Harry Knowles from www.aintitcool.com.

Spoiler:

Today, I took my father to see SUPERMAN RETURNS, it also happens to be Father’s Day. The theater was filled with an enthusiastic audience eager to see the return of Superman. All of you know how much I’ve been anticipating this film.

I have had an immense amount of faith in Bryan Singer and his team – mainly because Bryan made a pretty damn good first X-MEN film, even when the studio was working against him most of the way. And then on X2, when he had the proper support – he knocked it out of the park. But more so… the faith in Bryan Singer originates with THE USUAL SUSPECTS and APT PUPIL. Two films that are absolutely great character pieces. That Bryan miraculously found Hugh Jackman for Wolverine gave me faith in Brandon Routh. My hesitancy and fears lay squarely on how closely they kept to Donner’s vision.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the original SUPERMAN… I also love SUPERMAN II. And I own 16mm prints of both films. I’ve seen them… countless times. Hell, this year alone, I’ve watched the original SUPERMAN, no less than 4 times. And while I love Christopher Reeve to death… and I love everything that happens prior to the introduction to Otis’ Theme… I really do dislike “evil” in the SUPERMAN films. Gene Hackman was perfectly cast – but I hated that he wore a wig 99% of the time. I hated that he surrounded himself with absolute buffoons. And I despised that his schemes were more of the huckstery actions of a blowhard… not that of the greatest criminal mind of our times. Not the actions of a brilliant criminal scientist.

But while those scenes were integral to the last two thirds of the original SUPERMAN… I still love that film to death. It’s iconic. Primal. On December 11th, 1978 – my father hung the Mylar SUPERMAN one-sheet on the wall of my bedroom – before I woke up. I remember opening my eyes – seeing the poster and just laying there on my belly looking at it – believing I was going to see a man fly. 2 days later Dad had passes to an advance screening of SUPERMAN in 70mm at the AMERICANA here in Austin. A few weeks later and several screenings of SUPERMAN, someone had written in to the local newspaper to ask how to get autographs for HARRISON FORD, MARK HAMILL and CHRISTOPHER REEVE. Dad cut that out and showed it to me. I sat down and wrote a letter to each. Three months later, I got a little photo of Christopher in his Superman costume and an autograph. That blew me away. I was hooked.

Hell, I even have a fond spot for 3 & 4, just because of Christopher Reeve. He was never “the problem” with the original series. Neither was John Williams and his brilliant music. The first 2/3rds of SUPERMAN were so good – that they left a lasting residual effect on the last third and the rest of the films – that this little boy, loved them.

There are many films of youth that you grow up and away from. I grew away from SUPERMAN 3 & 4. I grew up with SUPERMAN 1 & 2.

And finally today I saw a SUPERMAN film that is no fantasy – no careless product of wild imagination. No, my friends… this is the film I was hoping and dreaming for. A movie to reintroduce SUPERMAN to the world. Many would take this to mean that I was "predisposed" to love SUPERMAN RETURNS - actually - for me, that's not exactly true. I could have shown up today and found a basket of lies and false hopes. I could have not seen the film I saw. A film filled with love and beauty. To not brush the original films of my childhood away like artifacts of a misguided time. Instead – what Singer, Dougherty and Harris have done – well… they too liked the first and second films. And they dared to honor them, but not be beholden. To acknowledge, while reinventing. And – not so much improving, but learning from the mistakes of an era.

They knew that the characterizations of Superman, Clark Kent and Jor-El… along with the Kent homestead and the amazingly cool design of Krypton were all dear. However, they wanted a harder Lex Luthor. A man who thought he was unbeatable, beaten, imprisoned and reduced in rank to a common convict. Years wasted. Infuriated, yet wholly awake to what could be accomplished once he got out in a Superman free world. All the while, wanting a rematch. Wanting to prove to himself that he was the better man. Wanting the world to acknowledge and be in awe of him as they were to the man in his flappy red cape.

When they cast Kal Penn and Parker Posey – I could hear Otis’ theme in my head. I was terrified. Parker is a tad much… just a tad, and she doesn’t have the screen time to hurt in any real way, this film. However, Lex’s thugs… are the useful sort of cutthroats and hooligans that Lex would employ. Men that would and do kill for him. Men that know when to leave the room. Lex’s ambition is huge in this film – and when he gets the upper hand with SUPERMAN – he does not for a second waste time monologue-ing. He decides to take those years out in raw brutality. No robots, no laser beams, just pure therapeutic whoop-ass.

Basically, Singer and crew made the threat as real as the heroics, the personal stories, the romance.

How did Brandon Routh do? He’s not Christopher Reeve, but honestly – he didn’t make me miss Christopher Reeve. He simply was Superman. The timbre of his voice in the title character is simply wonderful. Whether he’s talking to his adopted mom about what is bothering him, or to Lois about her articles and the needs and wants of her world… or to a sleeping child… he is majestic and human. Amazing, super and courageous. Is it just a straight Christopher Reeve imitation? I don’t believe so. To me… he’s playing the part of Superman. Superman doesn’t bullshit. Superman doesn’t mince words. He’s selective in his words. As Clark… I honestly feel this is not a clone of Reeve’s Clark. Is he “clumsy” – not very. He’s not spilling shit on everyone. He isn’t getting his coat stuck in women’s restroom doors. In this film… where he’s trying to catch up on 5 years of living. To just understand exactly what has happened in the world. And more importantly to him… the one person on the planet he felt a genuine connection with… he’s trying to re-establish a connection with her – and he is having trouble letting go. After all… he was “raised as a human being.”

Some may feel this part of the film is Soap Opera-y. However, to me – that’s Superman. Sure it’s about astonishing acts of heroism. Sure it’s about feats of enormous strength. However, it’s also about an individual unique amongst all upon Earth and very possibly the entire multi-verse who can hear everything and see everything. While he sees the great famines, crimes and acts of cruelty here on Earth – he also sees families, people in love… people he loves, who may not love him in return.

How is the action in the film? The entire Space Shuttle / 777 sequence is a jaw-dropper. The robbery stop is very cool. The runaway car sequence is delicious with that Action #1 ending. And the birth of a Kryptonite laced continent… well… it’s something amazing… and emotion. The action and threat upon the surface of that continent is something truly terrifying.

Bryan uses our memory for horrors to remind us just how wonderful having a hero like Superman would be. The saving of Lois, Richard White and the munchkin from a boat disaster. The way it’s handled is this. Supes was busy saving folks in Metropolis – but we’re not on Supes – we’re on the disaster on the boat from start to finish. How their own acts of heroism saves them right up to the point of total despair. Right to the point where you would honestly give yourself over to the fact that you were a goner. Where, there’s no more hopeful words of encouragement. The reality is, you’re dead, your fiancé is dead and your child is dead. At this moment – you face our reality. You’re dead. However, in a world with SUPERMAN – this is when the boat begins to be pulled up from the depths… Death turns to life.

Superman represents hope in hopelessness. Had the shuttle/777 incident happened in a Superman free world… Each and every passenger and member upon that space shuttle would have been dead. The entire United States would have been destroyed… along with Canada and Mexico and some of Europe.

This isn’t just some stick up. These are cataclysmic events. However, at the heart of it all is someone that cares and loves us mere mortals more than we could possibly understand. He’s the last of his kind. His world was destroyed. There was no Superman for Krypton.

As for the whole… “kid” storyline, I love it. Love it, because the kid works. He isn’t annoying, he’s just a 5 year old kid. He’s curious, not obnoxious. The kid is a bit of a geek, aces in science, evidently pretty darn good on the piano… but physically not up to par. Now since this is a spoiler review – I can talk about this…

I love that Superman was searching the universe for something like him, when all along he had a son growing back on Earth. Superman’s destiny is now intertwined with our own.

As for Kate Bosworth and James Marsden… they’re played straight. Kate’s LOIS is actually an investigative reporter. Watching her track down the source of the blackout was classic working the phones reporting. She may look young, but her actions as a reporter speak of her experience. The scene of her with Superman, she plays it as someone that was hurt by another’s actions. It feels genuine and the nerves are raw. And Marsden’s Richard White… well, you don’t root against him. He’s a very good guy, concerned about all the same things we’d be concerned about. I also love that Kate doesn’t want to just drop him for this… “fly by night Romeo”. She’s a mom now, she needs someone that’ll be there. That won’t just… take off at a moments notice for a trip to the other side of the universe. Simple things like that.

However, there’s a moment in SUPERMAN RETURNS that absolutely killed me. It’s my favorite scene in the film. After Superman has wound up in the hospital… and the whole world is freaking out. He literally just averted the greatest disaster to ever befall mankind, and done good all over the world. Outside the Hospital it is… as you would imagine if such a figure had been stricken. Lois and Jason (Tristan Lake Leabu) can get in, due to her very public relationship with Superman. But as the camera scans the crowd, it settles on Martha Kent (Eva Marie Saint) – the look on her face is distraught. Her child lies on a bed, dying? In pain? What? All she can do is stand as just another face in the crowd as her child, that nobody knows is her child, is “alone.” The scene is a killer. And one I had never really thought about. The concept really got me. Not only is traditional medicine of little to no use… due to his secret identity – those he protects with his identity… can’t be there for him.

I love that this is a personal story with huge developments personally and globally. At the end of this film, where we go from here is limited only by the imaginations of Singer and his writers. Just as BATMAN BEGINS relaunched an ailing Batman, SUPERMAN RETURNS sends Superman into the stratosphere.

The film is filled with love for more than just the previous movies, but the comics and even the classic George Reeves television show. This honors them all, while doing its own wonderful thing.

I see this one again on June 26th… and again on the 28th. I couldn’t be happier. As I left the theater – there were a few geeks leaving at the same time wearing Superman shirts and Superman memorabilia… “It was worth the wait.” They were talking about how they’ve been waiting for the SUPERMAN movie since 1990 when we first started hearing rumbles in the post-Burton BATMAN world that Warners wanted to kick start their Man of Steel. The lesson to be learned from the “SUPERMAN RETURNS” development is this. Waiting for talented people of passion and vision is worth every year of delays and restarts… of blown deals and costly explorations. At the end of it all, Warners did it right. Thank God. The Man of Steel is Back!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Normally I'd read that and be very happy but as it's by that fat unscrupulous shilling ginger piece of shit I couldn't care less for it.

This review is by David Poland who I hold in much higher esteem, in that he isn't on the payroll of multitudes of film studios and doesn't regularly give positive reviews to sfilms by studios that have given him 'special treatment'(set visits, interviews etc. ) and slates films that haven't given him shit.

Men In Tights

The Summer of Crass Cash continues…

Where to start on Superman Returns? It's terribly cast, poorly conceived, extremely light on action, features a romance that is not remotely romantic, doesn't feature a single memorable, "gosh, that was great" repeat-to-your-friends moment in a positive way (the blunder bits start early and often), will be crushed by Pirates of The Caribbean II and played out completely before August 1.

Aside from that…

The thing is, it is not rip-your-eyes-out-of-their-sockets bad. It is S.O.B. for the summer of 2006. (If you don't know what that means, read up on your Blake Edwards.) On the Shitty Summer Movie Scale, I would rate the major films that I have seen (leaving out any negative I might feel towards Cars or Over The Hedge) so far:

1. Poseidon
    2. The Da Vinci Code
    3. Mission: Impossible II
    4. The Break-Up
    5. Superman Returns
    6. X-Men 3

As you probably realize, three of those six are over $100 million domestic, two of those three should pass $200 million domestic and Superman Returns is likely to join the $100 million group before July 2 or 3. This movie is going to open and open big.

That said, opening is never about the movie. And in this case, it will be interesting to see whether what I am calling "The Anne Thompson Rule" is in effect. What that means is that Anne often shoots from the organ just below the hip when it comes to movies that may have a strong female appeal and, truth be told, I am always looking over one shoulder when she gets on that tear. I am not a girl. My teenage niece doesn't tell me nearly as much as Anne's teen daughter - who is probably too sophisticated and smart to be a perfect guide to predicting box office.

But I do get teen boys, in spite of underestimating their interest in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a couple of years ago. And teenage boys are not going to be clamoring for a whole lot of repeat viewings of Superman Returns.

Here's the deal. When Bryan Singer was faced with creating a Superman movie while the sets were being built in Australia, it appears that he and his writers, Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, looked at the first Superman film and to start mining it for ideas and gags, like an animated short team might… "How about if there is an explosion under Metropolis and the fire shoots up into the street and Superman's super breath puts it out and then blows up in the street?" Great! "People falling out of the windows like people out of the World Trade Center on 9/11." Check! "And let's explain how Superman got to earth, because not every kid saw it, but let's not really explain because others did." Okay!

There are no less than 20 direct visual, story, or direct dialogue quotations from the original two films here. But there are some huge blockades to this working. Kate Bosworth is 23 years old. Baby Routh is 26. So by building the story around, in part, a 5-year-old child, the movie is telling us that a 21-year-old Superman had sex with a barely 18-year-old Lois Lane in Superman II. They also are telling us that a 23-year-old got a Pulitzer Prize and it doesn't really go to her head… because unlike Margot Kidder's Lois Lane, Kate's Lois is niiiiiiice. And while looking back at Superman identifying Lois' panties as pink may seem old fashioned and sweet, there is not a moment of even that level of good spirited sexiness in this movie.

Thing is, I would have welcomed a movie that reset the Superman story with younger players. Why not? The casting of Kate Bosworth is looking as faulty as the casting of Emmy Rossum and Jacinda Barrett in Poseidon. In fact, aside from Frank Langella, who gets nothing to do anyway, there is barely a single good casting decision. Routh might be okay, but we'll never know until he stars in something else, because he was clearly doing a word-for-word, smirk-by-smirk imitation of Chris Reeve here. (He gets in one speech at the very end that sounds like he might be speaking in his own personal voice.)

But all that said, a young cast would have been cool. What kind of woman gets a Pulitzer at 23 and how does it affect her? How much has she given up relationshi-wise for the sake of her son that she had at such a young age? How much female attention would even a geeky guy who looks like Brandon Routh get in Metropolis? Etc, etc, etc. If you want to make a movie about younger people, you have to make it about younger people.

Still, all these problems might have been overcome by a few great action set pieces or a really interesting twist or a villain who was a real genius and/or interested in more than being a bully or a romance that could bloom and not be held back by a competing relationship that is ill defined and endlessly uninteresting or really, anything that made this movie stand out as special - other than a lot of money spent on effects and advertising glamour level cinematography.

It's not a hideous piece of crap. It really is about a step behind X-Men: The Last Stand, equally poorly directed, equally missing complexity, equally not up to the standards of the first two films, but with less interesting characters and absolutely zero sense of humor about itself.
    He makes some good points about the casting but the rest I'll just wait and see. I hope he's wrong, the Donner films are amongst my favourite ever movies and I hope this does them justice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great film a tad too long in hindsight but still great...

Im pleased how they have actually made Lex Luthor a sinistar baddie not just an old guy with money!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not that good a filme but David poland seems to be very close to what i felt. So who does he write for?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i wasnt too impressed with this film...maybe its just me? lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have to agree, I was really disappointed with this film after the hype.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by katana
    Not that good a filme but David poland seems to be very close to what i felt. So who does he write for?
    http://www.moviecitynews.com/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thought this was 1 of the shittest films ive seen in a long time bored me silly and in my youth i was an avid comic book reader.
    Might as well have been an episode of lois and clark in fact it was torture to sit through couldnt wait for it to end!!
    Bitches aint shit!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only bit i liked about this film was teh Airplane scene. Pretty cool scene.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was good but it could have been better yer the plane scene was kool

Thanks
    Karma Level

i havent seen yet but cant wait

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    I saw a trailer for this at the cinema last night....I might puke if I have to wait much longer to see it...
    Saw the movie yesterday, and it was quite fun. Although I prefer the old version.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought this film was really cool.

The bit right at the end when Superman is flying above the earth is identical to Chris Reeves effort in the original Superman film. There were other times in the film where he looked uncannily like him too.