Default Re: Wasps' nests

i think hes gonna be a bit busy to be taking photos lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott
    do it yourself mate, just wrap up.

oh and take photo's !

You need boiler suit, gloves, hat, netting, duct tape, bin bags and balls!
    As a precursor to dealing with em I thought I would show you one of the little shi*ts going in, but could only catch it's arse end.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly
    Just read this...

Is there anything I can do to get rid of a wasps' nest?

Individuals react differently to being stung (see 'What if I've been stung') by a wasp and, therefore, we would always advise that a professional Pest Control Officer deal with a nest, for the reasons contained in the information above.
    Does that mean that being stung is part of the interview procedure when becomeing a Pest Control Officer?

Well done, no anaphylactic shock for you. You got the job!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i used to get rid of em with an old geeza, easy money.

we used to get some cheapo ant powder, spray it arround any access holes the wasps are using to enter the nest and then go have a cup of tea for 45 mins and then come back and remove the nest.
    Apparently the wasps get covered in the powder as they enter through the holes and that gets fed to the queen. this will kill her and without a queen the wasps will bugger off. We used to go back and remove the nest just to show the customer it was sorted, but theres no point really.

i seem to remember us using some sort of smoke gun on some jobs (it was aloooong time ago now), i think this is when the nest was busy allowing us to get a bit closer to the nest to apply the powder.
    we never used any sort of protective clothing either, only our usual work clothes.
    Last edited by {{909}}; 27th June 2006 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't blame me if it goes wrong, but spineless, I would seal the hole up, oh sorry your name should have told me you wont (only kidding).

Seriously though, I dunno how/what my mum did the first time round, when they poked their little hole through the sealant that she did, and I then sorted, it was about he size of yours. I used nothing but a ladder, silicone sealant and the gun thingy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just hope they're not big angry fuckers like this one >

On a serious note, be careful mate, one or two stings might be painful, but 20 - 30 hurt like hell, I have never been stung by a single bee or wasp, but as a 10yr old kid, I had the misfortune to snap off a wasp nest off the side of a tree I was climbing, I fell down & got tangled in blackberry bushes, & had the bad luck to have the nest full of angry wasps land in my lap, they got every where, down my top, tangled in my hair, & I ended up running down the road like a raving lunatic screaming at the top of my voice, covered all over in still stinging wasps, my Ma ran a quick bath which I dived in, & the top of the water was covered in them, hurt like hell, & its something I never want to repeat.....good luck, but I'd advice you to leave it to the pros.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why after reading this am I getting the feeling of a darwin award coming up???

Thanks
    Karma Level

as kids we always used to spray nests with water and then throw stones or burn em - waterlogged you don't get so many flying after you

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get a badmington racket, poke the nest with your finger and brush up on your racket skills as each wasp flies at you. Remember to get a friend to film you tho and post here...
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin
    Get a badmington racket, poke the nest with your finger and brush up on your racket skills as each wasp flies at you. Remember to get a friend to film you tho and post here...
    pmsl..But have had a few of them buggers meself.One in the garage and 3 in the loft.(Different times I must add).Phoned up the council and they came out and sprayed it and now all gone,never cost me anything

Thanks
    Karma Level

well I only have a serious answer for you mate, this is from actual experience anyway, a mate had one in a roof so what I did was I went on the roof and removed a couple of slates (there was no roofing felt old house) this left a hole in the roof, I then got a couple of those smoke pellets that gas installers use when fitting a new fire they set a smoke pellet off t ose if the chimney flue is clear, anyway I set a couple of in the loft, the wasps went mental and all fucked off thru the hole in the roof along with the smoke (tthat was the idea of the hole to let the smoke out) once they all buggered off I went up in one of those paper rapist suits with a balaclava on and saftey goggles and gloves on, (must of looked like a right sex offender!) then I just knocked the nest into an old potato sack put a cable tie around it then burned the fucker! We then sprayed some sort of kitchen spray bleach, think it was mr muscle all over the area where the nest was, dont know why we did this or even if it helped but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to work in a lab. Once we got a wasp and knocked it out with ether and tied a bit of cotton around its thorax. When it woke up I took it out for nice little walk down to the shops.
    Last edited by gingerninja; 28th June 2006 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used this stuff last year and it worked a treat

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-RENT...QQcmdZViewItem
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja
    I used to work in a lab. Once we got a wasp and knocked it out with ether and tied a bit of cotton around its thorax. When it woke up I took it out for nice little walk down to the shops.
    Saw them do that on the tele, but they froze a bee and let it defrost and use it as a pet

Thanks
    Karma Level

local council did 2 that we had for free n the nxt one we had pissed it with petrol n burnt the cunts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just leave it dude!!

Got a couple of wasps nest's in the loft next door to me and I have only ever been stung a couple of times from rogue wasps that have come into my room by mistake!!

They normally only use them for 1 season so once summer is over they will bugger off and not use the same nest again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigy
    They normally only use them for 1 season so once summer is over they will bugger off and not use the same nest again.
    I read that last year on the net somewhere too.
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

advertise in a local fishing tackle shop you have 2 wasps nests theyll come n kill the nest's clear them out and take the wasps grubs if u give em 20quid it will make them all the happier to clear it out

techie
    I have stolen money from a DF member and a member of Disqworld. All my personal details including families details are on file and will be made public to everyone if I do not refund the money I stole or send the goods I promised. My name will be ravaged across the net and the consequences will be severe if I do not sort this fucking mess out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i've had 3 or 4 over the years but if you can only see the hole where they go through and not the nest itself then its hard,

the first one i attacked with an aerosol can of fly spray, with a flaming rag on the end of a stick using it like a flame thrower i didn't do much damages to the house but the guttering was a bit warped,

the second i filled their access into the roof with expanding foam, they found another way into the roof i attacked that with sprays and powder but never killed them just had to wait until they left,

the next one was scary as i was in the bathroom one Sunday morning with a hangover and wasps started dropping through the light fitting(inset spots) and filling the bathroom well i attacked them from the inside and killed them found they stopped coming in when i turned the light off, then went to work on the access knew if i blocked it they would find another way in so used spray and powder but gave it 3 or 4 goes over a few days and kept spraying the bathroom as there were a few lose one that got into there.

i would spray and powder the hole a good few times hope it slows them down and let them die off at the end of the year. the spray will goes 3-5 meters but the powder you need to get closer.

i'm lucky as i live in a bungalow so didn't need to climb up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast