Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Self Driving VW Golf

It has proved one of the most endearing of cinematic legends - a loveable car with a mind of its own that can drive itself.

And for 40 years Herbie - or the 'Love Bug' - as the Volkswagen Beetle was dubbed in its first movie outing - has enthralled millions of families in a series of Hollywood sequels.

Watch video footage of the self drive car here

But now German car giant Volkswagen has turned fiction into reality by unveiling a fully automatic car which really can drive itself - and at speeds of up to 150mph.

It can weave with tyres screeching around tricky bends and chicanes, and through tightly coned off tracks - without any help or intervention from a human.

The remarkable car is the VW Golf GTi '53 plus 1' codenamed after the number '53' which Herbie carried when racing in his big screen adventures.

The GTi has electronic 'eyes' that use radar and laser sensors in the grille to 'read' the road and send the details back to its computer brain. A sat-nav system tracks its exact position with pin-point precision to within an inch.

The car can then work out the twists and turns it has to negotiate - before setting off at break-neck speed through a laid out course on a test track.

On a race circuit, it drove itself faster and more precisely than the VW engineers could manage - and can accelerate independently up to its top speed of 150mph.

To prove it is no trick, guests were invited to design for themselves a variety of different courses - using road cones - and then watch the car fly around them on its own at a test track near their world headquarters in Wolfsburg in northern Germany.

Prototype

The astonishing prototype was developed initially to help Volkswagen engineers test their vehicles.

But in an age when rapidly advancing technology and the Big Brother State is increasingly taking responsibility away from the driver - with the onward march of electronic speed limiters, collision avoidance systems, cruise control, satellite navigation, and pay-as-you-drive road tolling - the self-driving robot car is not such a distant prospect.

And many of the elements which make up its engine will be making their way into showroom cars within just a few years - just as sat-nav, collision avoidance sensors and anti-lock brakes have done in recent years.

A Volkswagen spokesman said: 'It really is a self-driving Golf. It steers, brakes and accelerates. And it races through handling courses independently. It can accomplish this at full performance and at the limits of its capabilities.'

'We called it '53' because it is reminiscent of the cinematic Volkswagen bug Herbie, which made history as the first self-driving Volkswagen. This time we've done it for real.'

'The computer calculates where and at what speed the GTi has clearance between the cones. The GPS satellite enables navigation to within less than an inch.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Self Driving VW Golf

But can it split in half and win a rally?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds worrying to me. The tomtom looses signal every now and then, what happens here. Also when we were kids, we used to have great fun by re-arranging roadworks to block open roads. As this thing seems to be cone guided, I see potential for serious chaos.

Anyway, I saw it on tomorrows world years ago, some yanks put some metal bits down in a road, and the car would sense them, nothing ground breaking unless its ready for release.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup, this technology has been about for ages. I remember on a program I watched years ago they said one of the big problems with it is that if the car crashes the manufacturer is going to get sued.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's mentioned somewhere in the Book of Revelations...

And there shall become upon thee a beast who's name shall be two score and ten, and three. Plus one

Thanks
    Karma Level

Surely a self driving car would take all the fun out of, well, driving.
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won
    I fought the law and I won

Thanks
    Karma Level

thet will come in handy every day when im in the M6 traffic jam for a hour to do 7 miles........................so i could go to work pissed every day and use that hour to sleep in the van...kewl...
    Sometimes i like nasty close ups,
    Sometimes I like them air brushed,
    Sometimes it's a spread brown eye,
    Sometimes it's girl on girl.
    Sometimes a steamy letter will do it.
    And not often, but sometimes I like the idea of a chick
    with a horse.