Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Post counts and post whores

Hey guys, not trying to start anything. But I though the post count hurdle only existed for the techie or questionably legal cable/sat etc. forums

I was surfing in "Biggy7's Cheapskates Corner" and saw this Tesco DVD deal, but to read it its saying my count must be >50. Is this right?

I don't want to be telling the mods how to run things, but the danger is you get genuine newbies joining, getting bored and just dropping off.

On the VW Golf forums there are a few guys who've been there for years but only write one or two posts a week.. but they're absolute gems. And then you get these other post whores who yabber on and on, getting on everyone's jumper bunnies and not really making any sort of point. Its just like "Yer, that happened to my next door neighbour too" or "Anyone who drives a Golf Tdi is a knob... but I'm not one cos I drive a GTi, wicked innit"

I guess its a fine balance, but if the bar is set too high you may end up killing the golden goose. There is a fine line between spammers and post whores, and since we're in cyberspace you don't always know people's genuine intent.

Cheers, I'll get off my soapbox now
    K
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Post counts and post whores

Yet another priceless post.

Reading between the lines you're pissed off you can't get access to Biggy's and you can't be arsed making th necessary contributions.

The pros and cons behind our policies have been debated at great length and you have to strike a balance. The mods soon identify twats trying to up their post count.

Thanks for your concern though. I'm sure you're all heart.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not really the right section for this mate. Needed to be in The Whine Cellar, Forums Suggestion & Feedback or at a push The Dog & Duck.

Edit: Or the HOS!!!!!
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 10th August 2006 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

your argument would have carried more weight if you`d posted it after your postcount had reached 50 mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I ain't replying to this cos my post count doesn't go up in the HOS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't agree
    ---------------------------------------------------
    HE went home in a fuckin ambulance
    R.I.H Saddam

Thanks
    Karma Level

actually you have a point
    R.I.H Saddam

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah you have a point... goddamn post whores!! :tongue
    R.I.H Saddam

Thanks
    Karma Level

you're lucky to still be here after your shite in the intro section

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mcdee
    you're lucky to still be here after your shite in the intro section
    Please man, lets not go back there. I'm still learning my way around here.

But I do have a bit of forums background, I was an admin on an Alfa Romeo GTV forum, I've got +2,500 on UKMKIV and a similar amount on a Palmone Treo forum.. as well as being a regular on Audi Sport etc..

However lets discuss, I'm not having a dig at this forum otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to join. But what I am finding is that its way too easy to get flamed, its also very easy, considering this whole post count thing to feel like an outsider from the word go.
    If I understand it, the whole point of having a 10, 20, 30,.. 50 criteria is to screen out spammers and people who just want to fleece the community for knowledge and then disappear. If you think I'm either of those I would recommend you lot vote me off. Sure I own a dbox2, but for now its working fine and dandy so I don't really need mch help.. but because I "do" own one I thought it would be nice to join a community of likeminded owners.

karl
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

give it up mate you'll never win

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by e_gib
    give it up mate you'll never win
    I'm a persistent fecker, especially when I feel wronged in an argument.

But anyway life is short, its home-time and I'm going to thrash the shit out of my car and see if these new Greenstuff brake pads really are worth the money.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI
    Please man, lets not go back there. I'm still learning my way around here.

But I do have a bit of forums background, I was an admin on an Alfa Romeo GTV forum, I've got +2,500 on UKMKIV and a similar amount on a Palmone Treo forum.. as well as being a regular on Audi Sport etc..

However lets discuss, I'm not having a dig at this forum otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to join. But what I am finding is that its way too easy to get flamed, its also very easy, considering this whole post count thing to feel like an outsider from the word go.
    If I understand it, the whole point of having a 10, 20, 30,.. 50 criteria is to screen out spammers and people who just want to fleece the community for knowledge and then disappear. If you think I'm either of those I would recommend you lot vote me off. Sure I own a dbox2, but for now its working fine and dandy so I don't really need mch help.. but because I "do" own one I thought it would be nice to join a community of likeminded owners.

karl
    When I first joined, I was forum 'savvy' from elsewhere mate, and though I wasn't interested in post counting or anything in particular, I often got slated for making reposts of things that had all been posted before and just told the lot of them to get fucked if they don't like it
    It's just the way it is here mate, don't take it personal.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tbh, I think its a good idea. I actually only joined for a couple of radio codes, then i thought ok, i'll post where appropriate until i got to 15, by that time (which took me about a couple of weeks), i think i actually got to 20 something before I remembered the code business and by then I thought this was the best forum I had ever been on, and was hooked.

Without restrictions, I would have probably posted my request, then buggered off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI
    I was an admin on an Alfa Romeo GTV forum,
    karl
    Hmm I'm looking for a weekend toy, GTV or Spyder, care to share the knowledge ?
    "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nah the 50 post rule is Aok IMHO, stop's ppl leeching off the forum.

Your a bit of a car nut, but as of yet aint helpsd out in the car forum (note I said helped out, cos' that's what D/F is all about users helping each other)

You must have loads of usefull information you could pass on with regards to cars.

P.S: That new Gti is shit

Loads of love
    Lampshade
    Justice For The 96

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pongo
    Hmm I'm looking for a weekend toy, GTV or Spyder, care to share the knowledge ?
    I would go for a GTV, definitely. With the Spider you sacrifice the little bench in the back for the soft top. You may only be able to fit 2 kids in the back, but its still useful space. Also the GTV's hard top adds to the torsional stability of the chasis so you don't get that scuttle and flex you sometimes have with convertibles when pushing them real hard.

I had a bog standard 2.0 Twinspark GTV which was more than lively enough. Anyway good luck, they are beautiful cars. When I park up the Golf in a supermarket I just plip the remote and keep walking, with the Alfa I would always look back.
    Last edited by GTI; 11th August 2006 at 09:34 AM.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whatever you go for, make sure its been serviced well. If timing belt hasn't been changed in the last 36k, make sure to get it done. If a timing belts just gone, and head just been done, steer clear, bottom ends often fail shortly after.

Make sure the car has no problems at all, cos alfa spring em up for fun, and 1 problem is bad enough without having loads.

If you can afford it, try to get a v6, the engine is amazing (when it works). I got a 156 2.5, its been endless headache, but i really love the car, it actually has character and soul, unlike all these identical looking piles of crap you see going round.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by carlover
    Whatever you go for, make sure its been serviced well. If timing belt hasn't been changed in the last 36k, make sure to get it done
    And don't forget to get the variator done at the same time as the timing belt.. it'll save you a lot of money in the long run. My car had a recent belt change when I bought it but 2 month later I got the variator death-rattle (sounds like a diesel), so I had to pay a garage mucho £££ to replace the damn thing.

Also when you buy any Alfa make sure you get the burgandy master key (as well as the two red keys). Again this will save you a lot of money if the immobiliser goes tits up, which is actually quite common.
    -Benjamin Franklin