Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default what's in lager that's not in beer?

last friday i had 8 cans of john smiths and a bit of vod afterwards (gets a bit hazy after the 8 cans) and the next day i woke up feeling a bit dehydrated. i wasn't sick, but i started to get a bit of headache and was generally just a wee bit hungover.

last saturday i had two half bottles of vodka (had one and decided i needed another one so nipped out to spar) and then we went to the pub and had a few drinks there. the next day i woke up and went to work, not much of a hangover, i wasn't sick, just a bit shakey and tired

on the friday we just had the other day, i had 3 or 4 pints of john smiths in the pub, then went into town and started on the vodkas. since i was buying the drinks over a bar rather than in an off liscense i don't know how much i had but i wasn't very drunk so it cant have been much cos i get drunk really easily

last night i had 9 284ml bottles of stella. that's right, 4 and a half pints. i'd be lieing if i said i wasn't feeling the effects of this, partly cos i'm just a lightweight and partly because i had nothing to eat and had them all between 10 and 12, but 4.5 pints is still only 4.5 pints no matter how you look at it. and this morning, i'm not hungover really at all, as you'd expect from 4.5 pints, and i was sick.

this is a theme that repeats itself over and over again. i can drink beer till i cant stand, i can drink vodka till i cant stand, but as soon as i touch any form of lager i am sick the next day, but not at the time (unless i have too much which i do occasionally, i am only 18 after all)

for a while i thought it was just because lager is fizzy shite that fucks you up more and leaves your stomach more choppy, but surely a bottle of vodka should always give a worse hangover than 4.5 pints of 5% lager regardless of how fizzy things are

does anybody know why my body is a complete pussy when it comes to drinking lager? could i be allergic to something that lager has in it?
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: what's in lager that's not in beer?

Vodka is a pretty clean spirit. Lager is absolutely full of chemicals and JOhn Smiths is 4.0% where Stella is 5.2 and vodka more like 40%. I drink Stella till it comes out of my ears and never get hangovers whereas if I feel gay and drink weak ass bitter to vast excess I always feel like shit as that is what I have been drinking, shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stella is evil....used to drink it ll the time, won't touch it now...

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i quite like stella, it is a bit strong though if you are used to drinking less alcoholic things, you end up getting drunk faster than you expect

i still want to know why all lagers give me a hangover and beers dont though. i can understand vodka being different because its a totally different thing, and a clear spirit and therefore the best for not giving hangovers. john smiths however is not a clear spirit, so how does it manage to not give me hangovers?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bowers
    i'm a student, i actually consume far less alcohol than is average

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs
    well, you're obviously doing something wrong then...

DJ
    I was touched by Jesus, so i had him arrested.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Proper lager is bottom fermented and bitter top fermented (Or the other way round, can't be arsed to check)

Other than that, proper bitter (Not John smiths) will be naturally carbonated - using gas generated during secondary fermentation, lager is nearly always carbonated with external carbon dioxide. Smoothflow beers have nitrogen in them - so if you drink it too quick you might get the bends
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

you don't drink much?
    last friday i had 8 cans of john smiths and a bit of vod afterwards

last saturday i had two half bottles of vodka (had one and decided i needed another one so nipped out to spar) and then we went to the pub and had a few drinks there.
    I make that in two days you had over 44 units - if thats less than average for the population then I'm well below average and I enjoy a good drink now n again

Thanks
    Karma Level

i know how you feel, lager makes me ill due it being more fizzy.
    stella gets me wrecked, the times I've been the drunkest its been due to stella.
    I can drink vodka all night and not be sick but as you say, throw in a lager or few and the world starts spinning wildy
    now I have a couple or few stellas to warm up then on vodka for the rest of the night unless its a party then the liquidiser comes out and random cocktails get made, they are usually enough to finish most people off

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Stella is an absolutely shit lager, full of crap and filtered through the swimbladders of fish. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if you drank purer lagers such as Carlsberg or Grolsch.

Sadly because Stella has been so well marketed the majority of people believe it's a 'quality' beer and are willing to pay a premium for it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule
    Stella is an absolutely shit lager, full of crap and filtered through the swimbladders of fish. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if you drank purer lagers such as Carlsberg or Grolsch.

Sadly because Stella has been so well marketed the majority of people believe it's a 'quality' beer and are willing to pay a premium for it.
    A good rule of thumb is, if you can buy it in Cans, it's shite.
    LEEDS AND PROUD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by copey123
    A good rule of thumb is, if you can buy it in Cans, it's shite.
    I think you meant to say 'If you buy it in cans, it's cheaper'

Thanks
    Karma Level

you can buy most beers in cans

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stella is an absolutely shit lager, full of crap and filtered through the swimbladders of fish.
    Bollocks!

The swimbladders of fish are used to make isinglass finings, not to filter the beer directly. A lot of beers use this to make it drop bright quicker, not just Stella (Which is shite by the way)
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd say that it's certainly down to the nitrates and chemicals in something like Stella that make you feel worse the next day. When I'm in Thailand I drink Singha which is 6% (1% stronger than Stella) and I'll drink that nonsense all night and I'll feel fine the next day. Same deal when I was in Germany drinking local beers.

Stella is also an incredibly violent lager. My mate ran a pub in the centre of cardiff and said that when he switched from Stella to a lager of equal strength, I think Grolsch, he said the mumber of violent incidents in his place dropped dramatically. I'd like an explanation as to why Stella would make a person more violent than were that same person to drink Heineken Export. I think maybe Stella Artois is evil or that the Belgians are filling it with ritalin. Perhaps both.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to be a stella drinker...but switched to Carlsberg.

Nicer, cheaper, feel less shit the next day

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by coin-op
    Bollocks!

The swimbladders of fish are used to make isinglass finings, not to filter the beer directly. A lot of beers use this to make it drop bright quicker, not just Stella (Which is shite by the way)
    Isinglass finings are a direct product of fish swimbladder so therefore my statement is correct. It may be called isinglass finings but it's still made of fish swimbladder.

I know alot of beers use isinglass which is why I recommended two that don't. Others are Becks, Budweiser, Oranjeboom, Rolling Rock, coors to name but a few.

And it's still shite.
    Last edited by Mule; 14th August 2006 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

there are 2 different stella's available in the uk, one's shite and one's good.

The shite stuff is brewed by interbrew in newport under a licence.

The good stuff is brewed in belgium (mainly) or france. It's got a much cleaner taste and no nasty next day issues.

You cant tell which you're getting in the pub as its all down to which supplier they get it from. In cans, an embossed logo on the front = good stella, flat cans = bad (welsh) stella. afaik ALL the bottled stella in uk is from interbrew

malty
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Isinglass finings are a direct product of fish swimbladder so therefore my statement is correct. It may be called isinglass finings but it's still made of fish swimbladder.

And it's still shite.
    Not wishing to get into a pissing contest but you implied that it was directly filtered through the swimbladder, a bit like saying that the beer is made with piss because water will have been piss sometime in its cycle.
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast