Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default "plane plot" arrests pushed forward by US goverment

NBC News has learned that U.S. and British authorities had a significant disagreement over when to move in on the suspects in the alleged plot to bring down trans-Atlantic airliners bound for the United States. A senior British official knowledgeable about the case said British police were planning to continue to run surveillance for at least another week to try to obtain more evidence, while American officials pressured them to arrest the suspects sooner. The official spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the case.
    In contrast to previous reports, the official suggested an attack was not imminent, saying the suspects had not yet purchased any airline tickets. In fact, some did not even have passports.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001331.php
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: "plane plot" arrests pushed forward by US goverment

In that case I will expect them to be all released without charge.....and sue the government for distress or some other crap.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am slightly concerned that this peice of news is on that site but nowhere to be found on the NBC site that they quote (or any britsh news sites)

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14320452/

Source: U.S., U.K. at odds over timing of arrests
    British wanted to continue surveillance on terror suspects, official says

• Disagreement over terror arrests
    Aug. 12: U.S. and British authorities disagreed on when to break up an alleged plot to blow up airliners bound for the United States, officials say. NBC's Lisa Myers reports.

LONDON - NBC News has learned that U.S. and British authorities had a significant disagreement over when to move in on the suspects in the alleged plot to bring down trans-Atlantic airliners bound for the United States.

A senior British official knowledgeable about the case said British police were planning to continue to run surveillance for at least another week to try to obtain more evidence, while American officials pressured them to arrest the suspects sooner. The official spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the case.

In contrast to previous reports, the official suggested an attack was not imminent, saying the suspects had not yet purchased any airline tickets. In fact, some did not even have passports.
    Story continues below ↓ advertisement

The source did say, however, that police believe one U.K.-based suspect was ready to conduct a "dry run." British authorities had wanted to let him go forward with part of the plan, but the Americans balked.

At the White House, a top aide to President Bush denied the account.

"There was unprecedented cooperation and coordination between the U.S., the U.K. and Pakistani officials throughout the case," said Frances Townsend, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, "and we worked together to protect our citizens from harm while ensuring that we gathered as much info as possible to bring the plotters to justice. There was no disagreement between U.S. and U.K. officials."

Another U.S. official, however, acknowledges there was disagreement over timing. Analysts say that in recent years, American security officials have become edgier than the British in such cases because of missed opportunities leading up to 9/11.

Aside from the timing issue, there was excellent cooperation between the British and the Americans, officials told NBC.

The British official said the Americans also argued over the timing of the arrest of suspected ringleader Rashid Rauf in Pakistan, warning that if he was not taken into custody immediately, the U.S. would "render" him or pressure the Pakistani government to arrest him.

British security was concerned that Rauf be taken into custody "in circumstances where there was due process," according to the official, so that he could be tried in British courts. Ultimately, this official says, Rauf was arrested over the objections of the British.

• A non-starter?
    Aug. 12: Some of the suspected terrorists didn’t have passports, British officials say. NBC News’ Aram Roston reports.

MSNBC
    The official shed light on other aspects of the case, saying that while the investigation into the bombing plot began "months ago," some suspects were known to the security services even before the London subway bombings last year.

He acknowledged that authorities had conducted electronic and e-mail surveillance as well as physical surveillance of the suspects.

Monitoring of Rauf, in particular, apparently played a critical role, revealing that the plotters had tested the explosive liquid mixture they planned to use at a location outside Britain. NBC News has previously reported that the explosive mixture was tested in Pakistan. The source said the suspects in Britain had obtained at least some of the materials for the explosive but had not yet actually prepared or mixed it.
    © 2006 MSNBC Interactive
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok clever cloggs I'll take it back!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I knew it. You could see how people were talking about it on the news. It was funny how when it first came up, it seemed like something really serious, but then on sunday, on the news, everyone was using words like "alleged" plot, etc.

If it was serious, heathrow would still insist on frisking 100% of all passengers and staff, like they did on the first day of threat. Today, they were frisking 50% of passengers and 33% of staff. They can't be that scared if they can't be bothered searching half the passengers.

What would really make me laugh is if someone spots a bloke in high wycombe with a massive bleached afro, living near the bins the bottles were found.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im all for hightened security as I fly between the UK and US at least every 1-2 months

Thanks
    Karma Level

but the thing is liquid explosives have ALWAYS been a threat and ALWAYS will

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Im all for hightened security as I fly between the UK and US at least every 1-2 months
    Who do you usually fly with? Is it the best deal on at that particular time or do you have a favourite?