Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default pipex, good or not so good??

it sounds great on their website any opinions guys??

P

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: pipex, good or not so good??

i must admit, when i was with them, the service was great..

the only thing that made me leave them was that they constantly shafted customers..

first with the whole "weve no caps, but we do" debacle, and secondly they were charging me 35 quid for 2 meg, but new customers could pay 27 or something. and they were only allowing you to upgrade to 8meg if you went on a new 12 month contract despite how long you had been with them. in this day and age, never go for a 12 month contract, especially on anything above 2 meg.

BoomBoomUK

I have to agree with marcode,
    but i left pipex cos there service was crap
    the alegidly broadband went as slow as my old demon v90 line
    they argued that they had teething problems and that a lot of new customers had swamped the bandwidth.
    This new advert will bring in lots of customers but sit back and think can they cope like carphone warehouse is at the moment
    i think not

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm with Pipex atm. Only complaint I have is that they drop your line for a minute every night around 9pm ish, when Im online downloading somet or playing a game or whatever. Annoys the shit out of me, suppose its gotta be done. Just wish they'd do it at a better time.

Other then that they are great!
    CONTACT

My liver is evil and must be punished!

BoomBoomUK

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I'm with Pipex atm. Only complaint I have is that they drop your line for a minute every night around 9pm ish, when Im online downloading somet or playing a game or whatever. Annoys the shit out of me, suppose its gotta be done. Just wish they'd do it at a better time.

Other then that they are great!
    why do they drop it, strange they have to do this?
    do other ISP do such a thing

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Only complaint I have is that they drop your line for a minute every night around 9pm ish
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomUK View Post
    why do they drop it, strange they have to do this?
    Been with the pipes for 5 years now and I've never seen a drop at 9pm. Must be a "Roo" thing

No complaints sitting here with my rock solid 1mb line, paying £23.44 for it tho. They won't let me upgrade (over the phone) to PipexMAX unless I drop my Talk package, which I only subscribed to because they offer cheaper Max products if you take their Talk package. Confused? Me too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Been with them for several years and I have no complaints. The Downgrade thing was a bit strange but it all got sorted (see my thread in this section).

Been on Max 8mb for a couple of weeks and I am very pleased. Change over was very quick and its been stable ever since. Newsgroup speeds fluctuate slightly but its normally always over 200k/s so I cant complain.

I dont have the 9pm disconnect either. 'Roo' thing for sure lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been with them for over 4 years and to be fair the service is ok but as the others have said above, once they have you you get shafted. I pay £23.49 for an uncapped 1mb service and if I want anything else it's another 12 months on top.

Well they can feck off - I'm not doing it.
    Stu.... :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol really? Nobody else gets this? It doesnt always happen at 9 tho, can happen anytime between 9-11pm. I always put it down to refreshing their IP database or somet?

I might give them a call now lol.
    CONTACT

My liver is evil and must be punished!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was with them a few years ago and everything was fine until the connection started to play up. Their support was terrible, long holds on the phone and the script readers at the other end didn't know their arse from their elbow.

Don't know if it's improved since then. I doubt it because when they took over F2S their support went down the drain as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yer will im moving isp now as plusnet moved me from 2Mb BT IPStream to tiscalli LLU MAX and its shyte, they say i have to pay to move back to ipstream so i may as well tell them to fuck right off

was with pipex for a year and it was ok, the ping was good on gaming and voip

hey bitchmonkey what ping do u get on crow will take your soul and crow all maps (which is now a SF server for the mo), also i might get u set up on our ventrillo to see what ping u get there and we can talk too.

also did u notice any increase in your ping after u went to the max service as i have heard that interleaving adds to your latency

Thanks
    Karma Level

mmmm, 8Mb Max DSL activated today - getting around 3400Kb/s but download speeds of only 14Kb/s???

With BT I was previously getting downloads of 440Kb/s from the word go

I'll see what happens....

Also, not that I expect to use it, but the web site states 250MB free webspace, but my activation letter says I only get 50MB

Thanks
    Karma Level

my biggest problem with pipex was when they put a download limit on my newsgroups =(

Thanks
    Karma Level

Never had any probs here and was with them for 3 years. Speed was wlays fine here, one of cheapest uncapped services around. I think the theoretical max speed to pretty meaningless as you'll rarely if ever, reach 2Mb/s never mind 8Mb/s.

As for the support problems, I've never really understood why anyone would pay 50p a minute to call "technical support" lines when everyone knows they never know what they're doing. They could never afford to pay hundreds of qualified technicians to answer calls.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by alexei321 View Post
    I think the theoretical max speed to pretty meaningless as you'll rarely if ever, reach 2Mb/s never mind 8Mb/s.
    only if your nowhere near the exchange...

i sync at between 6.5 and 7.5 Mbits ... on average i get 600-650KB/s, peaking at about 700KB/s during the dead of night. dips a bit during peak hours, but i disagree with your assumption that you will rarely, if ever, reach 2Mb/s, cos i rarely, if ever, get below 5Mb/s.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I signed up with Pipex on Thurs afternoon online as i have moved house and cannot get cable in my area. I have not had a confirmation email from them yet which is quite worrying, I have tried to phone 4 times but get bored of holding for over 30 minutes each time. I've also sent them 2 emails to which I've had no reply. Off to a good start then!........ Any advice anyone? Any direct numbers i can dial to speed along the process or anything?
    LEEDS AND PROUD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been with pipex for about two years not a problem at all. Found em good

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was with pipex for about 2 years. At the time I applied for BB they were the only company that would connect me without a proper line check, so I was forced to go with them, after being turned down by BT and Bulldog.

My main gripe was that I was paying 23 quid a month for the max service and was only on 512K!!!!!! (I live miles from anywhere) when as you know you can pay that and get 8mb.... I contacted thier support center several times asking when I was going to get better speeds only to have the same auto response email saying it's being looked into, and nothing more. Fed up with this I even re-applied to other isp's but got nowhere.

so I cancelled that account and got a new one setup at work and vnc to it from my home :) My new connection was setup in 3 days (had it working before it was "live") and I cannot fault it, I have even had constant speeds of 8.5 mb for several hours, in the early hours of the morning. The connection is a quarter mile from the exchange.

They have however fucked up my cancellation and reconnection charges, which is being dealt with currently.... I got a phone call from thier customer service department asking for my credit card number to take payment, thinking this was wrong instantly, I asked the guy where he was calling from and what information he had regarding what he had just told me, he said he didn't have it to hand and gave me the care line number when I told him I was not giving him my cc number. I asked for his name and he mumbled something and hung up....

I logged in to my account and sure enough the guy was correct about the charges. So I rang my bank/credit card company and asked if pipex had taken any payments from my account... they had made 2 attempts but nothing was taken and it was apparently thier fault according to my cc company, they gave me all the reference numbers, dates, and times, which I emailed to pipex customer services, I haven't heard back from them yet via phone or email!

....sooo.... other than charging extortionate rates for less fortunate customers, distance wise, and having lousy banking and rude customer service .... where I used to live I'd give them 5/10 for line serivce and 1/10 for customer support.

On my new connection I'd give then 9/10 for line service & 2/10 for everything else... including their new hoffmeister campaign.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by copey123 View Post
    I signed up with Pipex on Thurs afternoon online as i have moved house and cannot get cable in my area. I have not had a confirmation email from them yet which is quite worrying, I have tried to phone 4 times but get bored of holding for over 30 minutes each time. I've also sent them 2 emails to which I've had no reply. Off to a good start then!........ Any advice anyone? Any direct numbers i can dial to speed along the process or anything?
    Doh, what did you go with them for, I told you their support was shite.

Emails always used to disappear into the ether when I was with them, never once got a single reply. Best thing you can do is just hang on the phone till they answer.

Here's some geographical numbers from SayNoTo0870 that might work.

Pipex 0870 6004454 -- 0845 0772537 -- 01707 299505 -- Sales ~ Website
    Pipex 0870 4242220 -- 0845 0778324 -- 01707 299509 -- Technical Support
    Pipex 0870 2403322 -- 0845 0772455 -- 01707 299507 -- Admin, Finance & Customer services Fax: 01707 299502

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Had no problems with them till I wanted to cancel and move to an other provider. When I told them I would not be re-newing my contract they offered me double bandwidth for no extra charge (1meg - 2meg)

All seemed ok for a week or 2 then had nothing but problems with downloading i.e a 3gig file would have taken 4 days to download. The top speed I could download at was about 30Kpbs.

When I spoke to them at firt they said there was no problem and that I had downloaded 30gig in the last 3 weeks (which I know I did not). At speeds of 30Kbps not really possible.

After countless calls and "speed" tests over a 7 week period. Nothing was resolved. I was told I would be called back, and wasn't. So I rang to cancel my contract to which I was told it would cost me £180. Not willing to pay this I spoke to consumer protection who advised I write a letter giving 7 days notice to supply the bandwidth as per contract if this did not happen I would cancel my contract for services not being provided.

I received a letter back asking me to call them to do more speed tests (and to tell me about 8meg broadband)

Needless to say nothing was resolved. After 8 weeks of this they said they would send out an engineer and would contact me when he/she would be coming. To my suprise no contact was made.

I am now waiting for a reply confirming my cancellation of said contract.

So in answer to your question good or not so good?

I'll leave you to decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast