Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Northern Ireland 3-2 Spain

Northern Ireland 3-2 Spain

Healy (right) and Keith Gillespie celebrate Healy's first half goal

David Healy's hat-trick helped Northern Ireland claim a shock victory over Spain in Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier at Windsor Park.
    Healy punished a Xavi Alonso mistake to level in the 20th minute after Barcelona star Xavi had volleyed Spain ahead in the 14th minute.
    David Villa restored Spain's lead on 52 minutes only for Healy to level 12 minutes later.
    Healy then ensured the home win with a glorious lobbed winner on 80 minutes.
    Northern Ireland boss Lawrie Sanchez reacted to Saturday's dismal home defeat by Iceland by making four changes with Michael Duff and debutant Jonny Evans coming into the defence and Kyle Lafferty and Roy Carroll also earning starts.
    The changes seemed to have the desired effect with the home side showing great urgency right from the start.
    In the second minute, full-back Duff found himself in behind the Spain defence in the second minute but he was unable to pick out the unmarked Healy in the middle.
    Carroll's return to the Northern Ireland team proved short-lived as he was forced off in 12th minute because of an apparent groin injury.
    Two minutes, replacement keeper Maik Taylor was picking the ball out of his own net with the unmarked Xavi superbly volleying home from 12 yards after Antonio Lopez had outwitted Keith Gillespie to whip in a cross.
    However, Northern Ireland were on terms within six minutes with Healy stabbing the ball home after a dreadful mistake by Xavi Alonso.
    Steve Davis battles for possession with Spain's Antonio Lopez

The Liverpool player inexplicably allowed a harmless-looking ball to bounce in his own area and compounded the error by attempting to nod back to Casillas which allowed Healy to nip in to score his 21st international goal.
    Spain attempted to regroup and Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas, who had already replaced David Albelda, powered in a dangerous shot in the 35th minute which was deflected to safety.
    However the partisan atmosphere at Windsor Park with 14,500 fans jam-packed appeared to be getting to the Spaniards with a number of needless free-kicks conceded.
    Both sides missed chances in first half injury-time with Lafferty failing to loop a header into the empty net with Casillas out of position and Fernando Torres then off-target for the Spanish from close-range.
    Northern Ireland continued to cause Spain problems immediately after half-time with the lively Keith Gillespie inches over with a 50th minute shot.
    However against the run of play, Spain went ahead again two minute later with David Villa producing a clever finish after a mix-up in the Northern Ireland defence.
    But Northern Ireland heads refused to drop and they were on terms again in the 64th minute with Healy thumping home Clingan's short free-kick in a move clearly rehearsed on the training ground.
    Spain were inches away from leading again when Raul's close-range shot came back off the woodwork in the 73rd minute.
    Northern Ireland would probably have settled for a draw at that stage but seven minutes later the home fans went sent into delirium when Healy lobbed the glorious winner over Casillas from 25 yards.
    Inevitably, Spain pushed forward in the closing stages and Taylor did well to push a Puyol shot over the bar.
    However, Northern Ireland held on for a famous victory over a team ranked seventh in the world.

Northern Ireland: Carroll, Duff, Aaron Hughes, Craigan, Evans, Gillespie, Clingan, Davis, Baird, Healy, Lafferty. Subs: Taylor, McAuley, Feeney, Elliott, McCann, Quinn, Jones.

Spain: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Puyol, Pablo, Antonio Lopez, Albelda, Xavi, Alonso, Torres, Villa, Raul. Subs: Reina, Salgado, Marchena, Reyes, Luis Garcia, Iniesta, Fabregas.
    Referee: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/5321964.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Northern Ireland 3-2 Spain

well done ireland, what agreat win for them

Thanks
    Karma Level

Brilliant win that, some cracking goals too
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well done

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah, I've still the biggest smile on my face from last night.........

Can't beleive it still..... A better performance last night, than against England......

and to top it off, I think I've strained a muscle in my chest with shouting so hard last night...(Is that possible????)

GAWA!

Thanks
    Karma Level

they beat england last year,now spain..unreal acheivment for sanchez and the boys...very refreshing...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Healy was shit for Leeds today, think the Spain game took all the energy out of him...
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i wasnt that shocked about spain, because they did bad in the world cup aswell

Thanks
    Karma Level

Now why couldn't we play like that against Iceland? Not that I'm complaining!!!