Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default RealVNC Time out message..

I am trying to connect to my work pc from home via realVNC (VNC Viewer 4) after I enter the IP of my machine at work then click ok I get, "unable to connect to host: Connection timed out (10060)". My machine at work is set up to receive other pc's connecting to it as the tech guys log onto my machine regularly (VNC is always running and firewall is off). Also VNC is running at home and firewall is off so I cannot see what the problem may be.

I read somewhere that I may neeed to add certain ports to my router (I have a wireless router/modem from wanadoo) but this confuses me very much, I don't know shit about routers etc.

Can anyone advise what I may need to do, is there something else I need to install maybe?
    Last edited by SoundOfFaz; 7th September 2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: missed some info

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: RealVNC Time out message..

Does your machine at work have an actual external IP and not an internal one such as 192.168.x.x?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure mate, how can I find that out? The internal one is 192.168......

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are you trying to connect to it from home with 192.168...?

If so you can't do that. That IP is only valid whilst you're at work on their network.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tric View Post
    Are you trying to connect to it from home with 192.168...?

If so you can't do that. That IP is only valid whilst you're at work on their network.
    Yes, I am trying to connect from home by using the IP 192.168....., the lads in Ireland can connect to mine at work using 192.168.. and they are not on our work network, its a different company!!

If I cant do this, then what do I need to do/get to be able to connect from home?

Thanks
    Karma Level

That isn't physically possible so I don't understand how the lads in Ireland are achieving this without being on the same network. 192.168 addresses are for local use only so you would never be able to go outside of your network.

All I can suggest is ask the techies at work to forward a port on their router to your work machine. They would then supply you with an ip and port you can connect to, this traffic would then be sent internally to your work machine. That's just one possibility, it's impossible to give a definitive answer without knowing the exact structure of your network. Basically though you won't be able to do this without the techies at work help while your work machine has a 192.168 address.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tric View Post
    That isn't physically possible so I don't understand how the lads in Ireland are achieving this without being on the same network. 192.168 addresses are for local use only so you would never be able to go outside of your network.

All I can suggest is ask the techies at work to forward a port on their router to your work machine. They would then supply you with an ip and port you can connect to, this traffic would then be sent internally to your work machine. That's just one possibility, it's impossible to give a definitive answer without knowing the exact structure of your network. Basically though you won't be able to do this without the techies at work help while your work machine has a 192.168 address.
    They probably have a tunnel to the site.
    I assume your work has a hardware firewall, in which case they should be able to send you a file to use with global vpn software for the firewall which will authenticate you as a user and you would then be able to vnc to the machine from your home (or anywhere with internet access). Either that or get them to set up a port forward, but I would not use that method with vnc as it aint that secure