Close

Thread: north run

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default north run

wasnt sure if i should go for this section or the general sports section but seeing its about diet thought this was most appropriate.

i will be running the north run next weekend. was just wondering what i should be eating couple of days before/ night before/ morning of the race.

i dont want to eat too little and be weakened also i dont want to munch down a massive bowl of pasta and find its the wrong thing and get caught on national telly chucking my guts up ha ha.

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: north run

Dont know much about the food bit m8 ive been workin on john reid road where youll be runnin up looks a killer lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks just what i needed to here ha ha.all i want to do is get round so if i do that ill be happy

Thanks
    Karma Level

You've got to carboload mate a couple of days before the big race. On the morning of the race eat a couple of slices of toast with jam with plenty of fluids. This always worked for my mate and he was a top class marathon runner.

I've done this run a few times and it's worked for me, best time 1 hour 38 mins. The worst part is the run in on the sea front. It feels like it's another 13 miles. Good luck
    The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

'Ben Stein'

Thanks
    Karma Level

where is that part. is it at the end. someone told me the worst bit is the end cos its all up hill.

i would be very happy if i do it that quick

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey110 View Post
    where is that part. is it at the end. someone told me the worst bit is the end cos its all up hill.

i would be very happy if i do it that quick
    No mate it's along South Shields seafront. Seems to go on for ages though.
    The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

'Ben Stein'

Thanks
    Karma Level

John Reid Road is a good bit, going towards the Nook (Dead dodgy area, don't go back there on a night alone!!). You then go up Prince Edward Road towards my local, the Marsden Inn. Then down a VERY steap bank to the sea front. Next 1/4 mile is slightly uphill, but the crowds are great and keep you going. Then its all flat to the finish on the Leas.

I've done it 8 times now, bloody brilliant!! Have a pint in the Bamburgh pub opposite the finish afterwards, thats where I'm watching it from this year.

Good luck.

Al.

Thanks
    Karma Level

8 times you must love the punishment. Am looking forward to it now just hope i finish ha ha

Thanks
    Karma Level

How did it go mate? I was running 8:30-9 minute miles (for my 2 hour target) up till 7 1/2 then an injury to my knee flared up and I had to ice and strap it at every other aid station. Limping around with it screwed today. Seriously pissed off because I practically hobbled over the line.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

similar speed then. i did it in 2 hours. was hoping to go a bit faster but went round newcastle night before and got hammered and only went to bed at 3. ha ha. Still it was a fantastic day. cant beleive how involved all the locals get bringing out sweets and ice pops and drinks. And some even with their hose pipes to cool runners down. Fantastic day will be doing it again next year.

Unlucky with the knee you must have been gutted. im feeling it today. everytime i stop moving my legs seize up and im like an old man getting going again

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey110 View Post
    similar speed then. i did it in 2 hours. was hoping to go a bit faster but went round newcastle night before and got hammered and only went to bed at 3. ha ha. Still it was a fantastic day. cant beleive how involved all the locals get bringing out sweets and ice pops and drinks. And some even with their hose pipes to cool runners down. Fantastic day will be doing it again next year.

Unlucky with the knee you must have been gutted. im feeling it today. everytime i stop moving my legs seize up and im like an old man getting going again
    Yeah, they were great. The water stops and showers were welcome too! I'm going to be doing it again next year as well, as you say I'm gutted because with the training I did I expected sub-2 hours. I went to the medical tent immediately afterwards to get it iced and strapped so didn't warm down so now in addition to my knee my thighs are both absolutely buggered. Still, I've raised £400 for my charity so I'm happy.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson